Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny! Especially knowing both that you have one and you know how to use it well. :)

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I came here to read some pointers especially with the upcoming DIV.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand weight is a big issue with the GPX,, why hasn't someone made something to carry the heavier parts on your body and just have to swing the loop? I guess you have to listen to a threshhold/tone all the time with a GPX also?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 'cause manufacturers don't listen to us little people.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of helpful info , Guess ill try You-Tube.
Thanks V-Magnum P.I. Car -Guy.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand weight is a big issue with the GPX,, why hasn't someone made something to carry the heavier parts on your body

Radical Design out of the Netherlands has a harness called Geowalker Pro that works really well. I have seen smaller people use them, I have not used one my self, nor have I used the harness for my Zed.

Radical makes many special purpose products for several companies and will even do one offs for private people. Highest level quality of products, but high prices too.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of helpful info , Guess ill try You-Tube.
Thanks V-Magnum P.I. Car -Guy.

OK, then, here's some tips for the GPX relic hunter (I don't use GPX for prospecting and use it only in hot soil, so that is the basis for my "tips"):

The Key to GPX is understanding what the settings do and getting it to run STABLE. This is highly dependent on what is going on around you and the site conditions, so I avoid use others recommended "settings" because they mean nothing if you do not know what the settings do to machine performance.

This is how I approach my GPX setup for a hot soil relic hunt.

1. Set up your front panel toggle switches correctly (these are based on the 4800):

Search Mode - General (doesn't really matter these positions are just three slots where you can customize settings to your liking the only difference being in the default settings for some parameters)

Soil Timings - Start out in Normal the more complex timings in Special and Enhance mode can be tried later.

Coil/Rx - This just sets the which coil on a Double D coil is used as the receive coil. It has no effect if you are using a mono loop. I use Double D because the target will pinpoint at the center of the coil, the other settings will cause the target to pinpoint off center.

Ground Balance - Tracking is too slow and can cause targets to disappear when trying to pinpoint them. Use fixed and periodically re-balance using the trigger button on the handle.

2. LCD user user settings:

Set Rx Gain at 8 and Motion on Medium for the following adjustments (if you use slow motion then you are locked into slowing the coil swing down, medium allows you to use a normal search swing and you can always slow your swing down to zero in on a target as necessary). I use NRM audio (not deep or boost) and all the other default audio, signal and target volume settings.

3. Find a quiet channel. You can use AutoTune to do this (takes awhile) or dial it manually to a quiet channel. I like to use numbers well away from the default channel when hunting at sites with a lot of other GPX users. Typically a channel number less than 100.

4. Adjust the threshold just high enough to know the machine is alive. Too high and you will miss the squeaker targets and too low you may not hear some faint targets. Again keep the machine running just on the edge of being completely quiet.

5. Do a quick ground balance.

6. Raise your coil in the air at this point and make sure it is on the edge of quiet and adjust threshold as necessary.

7. Put your coil on the ground again and swing, GB as necessary by pumping while pressing on the trigger button. If noise doesn't decrease, something like Rx Gain, Threshold, or Receive Channel may still be off. Adjust as necessary.

8. Leave stabilizer at the default. You can adjust it higher until you hear a change in the threshold and then back off one notch, but I just usually leave it alone.

9. Setting Iron Reject - Too high and you will get blanking on good targets like minie balls so I recommend keep it at 7 max or less. Iron reject won't work on a mono coil.

After you have your machine set up, then recognizing target audio is the key and that comes from getting out there swinging and digging.

There are always exceptions to truisms like minie balls giving a nice smooth low tone with no blanking or buttons giving a nice sharp high tone. Or nails giving you a high tone warble if you swing along the length of a nail vs. swinging across the shank, etc. The best I can tell you is some good targets may sound like nails, some large iron makes good relics (bayonets and swords) and if you get a consistent signal from two 90 degree swings then dig it.

HTH

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked Santa for a GPX and I have been very good this year so I am banking on one! That being said to answer the question "What is a GPX?" I am praying it will be breakthrough machine that will enable me to find that dang elusive button!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
want to wake them up, compare the CTX to the Nox 800 or better yet, to the AT Max.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread