DIY bush hog

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hey all...
Any thoughts on taking down some monster weeds short of bringing in a machete? I look conspicuously weird enough with the satchel and the traffic-light yellow ACE 250. Plus I don't think I could sweet-talk my way out of the back of the cop car if I got picked up for having a machete.
On a side note I am making baked beans and the Browns are winning! All is right with the world. :tongue3:
Cheers,
~mellowcheddar~

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
3' by 4' piece of 3/8 " plywood with rounded corners and a hand hole cut central along a long edge is easy to carry.Lay it down on weeds and step on it to mash them.Time consuming ,but less work than brush cutting.
Also works extremely well to herd pigs and fend off agressive dogs.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
short of burning (which i dont recommend) i dont know.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm making myself a second one this winter when its cold and I can hide out in the basement.

I bought an old $25 lawn mower, cheapie and light weight (thats important).

Use a sawz-all and cut out the front between the 2 front wheels, leaving about 2 inches of the blade exposed. You're pretty much just cutting a semicircle on the mower deck to expose the blades.

Equally important is to enlarge the side chute if it's too small. A lot of mowers have bigger discharge chutes...on the side...you dont want any rear discharge unit.

I've cut down full grown cat tails with it like they were grass...going slow and steady...without a single clog.

You just have to be darn careful of that exposed blade...never get in front of the thing for any reason. I'm sure it would wack someones leg pretty neatly. :o

The last mower I used, I beat the living daylights out of it for a couple years in high, marshy areas. Wacks down reed clusters when theyre wet. I think it only weighed 10 or 15 pounds and was about small enough to fit in most trunks with the handle sticking out.

Can be a dangerous set up...but works like nothing I ever used, short of a 5' brush hog on a tractor. :thumbsup:

Al

OP
OP
mellowcheddar

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
You just have to be darn careful of that exposed blade...never get in front of the thing for any reason. I'm sure it would wack someones leg pretty neatly. :o

... My husband the landscaper has got to see this thread :tongue3:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a metal dirt rake?

images

By the way, does anyone else think it is disturbing that no matter what you are looking for an image of on google images there is usually a picture of a naked person with the item on the first or second page of images. Even posing with a metal rake....

NJ

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with the cheapie mowers. Ive had the blades snap on those. One went sailing into the back wall of my garage once!

Brian

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not just use a good commercial grade weedwhacker with the brush cutting blade on it? .........NGE (T)

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Put bicycle wheels on the back. It will roll better and you can raise and lower it.
Need a longer skirt for the sides and back tho - maybe old innertubes.
"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. THESE ARE TRAINED PROFESSIONALS IN A CONTROLLED ENVOIRENMENT".

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do ya all come up with this stuff? :icon_scratch: You guys are cooped up too long in the winter months.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Get a pet goat ;D They will eat anything!

VPR

I use a few of them.

Attachments

• _PAS4113.jpg
    _PAS4113.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,274

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True story... Many years ago my parents purchased a moble home near the beach that the front yard was completely overgrown. Needing a way to clear the growth, my father took an electric motor from a washing machine, 3/4" EMT conduit for a handle, two wheels off of a push mower, threaded rod for axles, drop cord connected to motor, and a circular saw blade. He strapped the motor to the EMT with large pipe straps, drilled a hole through the bottom of EMT for the threaded rod axle and wheels, and attached the blade to the pulley shaft on the motor. He wired it up with the drop cord. This thing was insane... Plug it in and stay clear of the blade, it is exposed! This thing would take down however big a weed or tree sapling you could get the blade to. Just walk up, turn it on and ZIIIIIIIP... No more weed. Needless to say it wasn't consumer safety or OSHA approved. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread