Seperating Gold From BlackSand

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I have seen all kinds of expensive machines and tedious methods for separating gold from black sand. Magnets. recirculators. bottle shaking... All of them work poorly. But on a recent trip to Colorado. i was astonished to see one technique that actually produces great results at a reasonable price. A fellow pulls out a 6.5 hp wet vacuum machine. uses duct tape to connect a flexible 3/8 inch clear plastic hose to it. Wraps the hose in a series of large loops and sticks the end in a bucket of concentrate containing water. Using the adjustment knob on the vac. he increased the power of the machine until the black sand travelled forward around the top of the loops and the fine gold slid backwards to settle at the bottom of each loop. Final result... Nearly all the sand in the wet vac and the fine gold left in the hose. Very little of the gold was sucked into the wet vac. I panned the sand just to see for myself. The cost of constructing the devise is negligible. Some plastic tubing and duct tape... you can rent a wet vac for a few more dollars.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Hmmm. Sounds intresting! Please post some pictures.... or a sketch, or a picture of a sketch, or something...
I'd like to see and hear more.

Was the hose and container filled with water or dry concentrate? Also, where was the vacuums "adjustment" valve or what ever that was???

PEACE

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
So what happened to the powerful magnet inside a plastic bag? Does the same and inexpensive thing.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
1 More!! and Akiwi!! all the powerfull magnets i have ever seen posted allways picked up gold to because the black sand would clump togather and trap gold when magnet came near but before it could pick the black sand up. if your wet vac [he had water in concentrate bucket] does not have a volume controll you might try a control on the 3/8 inch tube. his idea sounds good to me. Terry

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research and this kind of sounds like the gold machine. They seem to have a pretty neat system worked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread