SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan has passed a ban on alcohol possession on three heavily used rivers starting on May 24th. It's about time they do something about the trash that is trashing these rivers. Hopefully, they will enforce the new law! Should make for some interesting times on these rivers.

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/l...cle_63dd67f8-4c1a-57d9-b069-cc619c432fb0.html

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a law against littering, sure works! Not enforced but this will be interesting. I participate in river cleanups and I see your point. Not all the trash we pick up is alcohol related.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enforcing litter laws leave your rights in tact

I see a lot of holes in the logic of stopping litter by banning alcohol.

Why don't they just ban littering?

If they just told the local law enforcement to start enforcing existing laws, then that wouldn't limit our rights. Certain political factions look for solutions that will remove peoples rights first, so that they can continue on that path if the reasons look legit. Keep the ball rolling until there are no rights left.

No smoking
No drinking
No cursing
No loud noise
No cutting down trees on your own property
No digging on government owned property
No Metal Detecting
Then we move into

No reading certain books
No practicing religion
No using the internet
No making too much money

One day in the future we wake up and realize we have no more choices. They're all made for us.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Delayed.
The three rivers originally targeted are some favorites , as far as trying to protect them.
Plenty of others face similar concerns due to lack of enforcement of existing laws.
There are folks who over do the drinking part. (!)
I know. Had my own favorite Michigan float route. And fished multiple rivers. No objection to some one behaving and enjoying a beer along with it.

One thing to consider is Federal authorities involved on certain stretches.
Federal land (yes it's not the same as rivers) has more restrictions than State. And different enforcement personnel than the state though they can overlap in places/incidents.
But I agree , passing more laws is not the answer to not enforcing existing ones.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...t-lived-river-alcohol-ban-delayed/2853448002/

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they just told the local law enforcement to start enforcing existing laws, then that wouldn't limit our rights. Certain political factions look for solutions that will remove peoples rights first, so that they can continue on that path if the reasons look legit. Keep the ball rolling until there are no rights left.

No smoking
No drinking
No cursing
No loud noise
No Metal Detecting
Then we move into

No reading certain books
No practicing religion
No using the internet
No making too much money

One day in the future we wake up and realize we have no more choices. They're all made for us.

I think it was frederick Niietzsche who said something to the effect of that when god is dead the world will decend into chaos. I beleive it. If all that holds a man accountable is the fear of earthly consequences then all is lost.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on

No smoking
No drinking
No cursing
No loud noise
No Metal Detecting
Then we move into

No reading certain books
No practicing religion
No using the internet
No making too much money

if i ever did any of the above and it offended anybody please forgive me. i'm a little betarded ? whats that expression ? everything in moderation. but when it gets excessive then what ? its when lots of people get in a dither something has to be done. how many fishing spots of mine have i lost ? only to somebody else's ignorance ? God does forgive. only after you realize you made a mistake.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late they should pay me for all the trash we dig and throw out lol

Top Member Reactions