SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just humor me with this idea, it hit me in the middle of the night!

Yes, we all can block unwanted phone numbers after we have been called. Then they call us back tomorrow using a new number.

What if a company advertised a phone that gave us the ability to program in just the numbers that the phone will ACCEPT? No more unwanted phone calls period!

Who wants one?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they call me I answer...

and then I begin to try and sell them something.

:P

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This all got started after a bill was passed that would allow teachers to call students from home with out giving out their personal number, it allowed the teachers to spoff the schools number, my cell will give me a warning of potential spam but still rings and distracts me, the cooper line phones ( land lines ) have it the worst as they have no way at all of blocking or warning you, I work with a phone system in a hospital and we get bombarded every day with this crap..

on a second note Iv figured out how to get most telemarketers to swear at me, I will ask them their name, where there calling from and the name of the company, they really hate it when you waist their time, another thing Ill do is call them out on their name, itll be some person from India with a strong India accent and have the name Steve or Bill Ill say " no that aint your name thats an American name and I can tell you aint no American, oh thatll really get them going...:censored:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have some fun w/them.When it rings answer... FBI headquarters how can I transfer your call :tongue3:

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What if a company advertised a phone that gave us the ability to program in just the numbers that the phone will ACCEPT? No more unwanted phone calls period!

Who wants one?

If I could do this on my landline I'm in. It would be a headache for my cell, trying to make sure I added the important ones. Then there is the unexpected important ones.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the IT world, we call that Whitelisting. If you have an Android Phone, you can turn on Do Not Disturb, then go to Allow Exceptions, Contacts Only. The main problem is that the carrier delivers the call to you before the phone can intercept. If the phone company gave the option to sync your contacts to their cloud, then blocked the calls at that level, it would be even better.

Just have to remember this if you're applying for a job or something, as you'll never get the call. Or hope your doctor always calls from the office phone number... :-)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you don't know who it is, don't answer. They'll leave a message if it's actually an important call. They might leave a message if telemarkerter as well but not a prob to delete.

I haven't been bothered by telemarketers in years now doing this.

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't know who it is, don't answer. They'll leave a message if it's actually an important call. They might leave a message if telemarkerter as well but not a prob to delete.

I haven't been bothered by telemarketers in years now doing this.

Never said I answered the calls because I don't. Just tired of the phone ringing from these bozos.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get this, the past few days the spammers have been calling me from MY own phone number! My name pops up on my phone! I answered the first time, and it was Microsoft telling me I have a problem with my computer. Yeah, I get at least a half dozen bogus call per day. Enough is enough.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will always be a step ahead

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had one guy try to sell me excess Ramen Noodles.

Once in a while, I get a live person, and then the fun starts! :laughing7: Once a travel agent asked me to take a survey about which spots for a vacation would be the best idea. I replied "San Quentin" then hung up.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I pulled something on them that works. They do not continue to call numbers that are disconnected. I recorded the 3 tones and successive recorded message of, The number you have reached has been disconnected....blah blah blah. The trouble is the ones that do not get the disconnect message know there is a real number there and keep trying and often sell their list of numbers to others. It takes some doing to catch them all and feed them the recorded disconnect message, but it is satisfying to do in any case.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've graduated to becoming a a Sexest Pervert when it's live women

I Can't post here what I Ask them & Tell them to Do to me..

Connie from Homeowners keeps Calling back, Unfortunately
I think the calls are by a Machine & everyone there is named Connie from Homeowners :tongue3: she always needs to ask me some questions, But I get to ask
my Questions First like her Full name Connie-L---- ?

Of course they can report me for being Sexist & Tell the police they tried to scam me & I was obscene to them :laughing7:

But The gasps right before they hang up are Fulfilling.

The Men & The recordings still just get hung up on.
But Live ones usually get, :Go to h ! Scammer", or just "Your a Scammer ! Click"
but yes it's ridiculous the number of Calls I Get.

they do slow up when I delete all calls from the recent call list.
I wonder if some plant a virus that lets them know when I Use the phone, because calls seem to pick up,
after I talk to someone on the phone.
& Dwindle when it sits unused for 48 hours too, so hard to say.

Last edited:

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answer unknown numbers with: Miller Mortuary When they stop with their spiel, I ask them if they are calling regarding the burial plot they ordered. They usually hang up and I never hear from them again.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm surprised that today we did not receive a single telemarketer call - first time in a very long time.

We get pounded every day otherwise.

Just last week, prior to noon we'd received 9 straight telemarketer call. Then a 10th call came in and I made the mistake, without looking at caller ID, I used some expletives directing the caller to go pound sand somewhere and don't ever call here again. And of course hung up.

Turns out, the caller was Mom's long time doctor. I guess he e-mailed her about it, I was both embarrassed and ashamed.

Prior to that he liked me, and always kept me up to date about Mom's health at age 94.

Lesson learned - always check the caller ID.....

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have reached a number which is being monitored by the FBI telemarketing complaints task force.
You are hereby ordered to remove this number from your call list immediately. Thank you for your cooperation. Clunk !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of PA, try the ladies line with the guys also. That oughta work.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not totally sure about this one but I remember reading that even if the call isn’t answered the marketer get some sort of small payment like an eight of a cent. For proving your number is operating. And then they pass it on to another marketer as verified. Makes sense since that is why they seem to come in bursts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread