Kid Saxon

Kid Saxon

Jan 10, 2008
Atwater Ca.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug , Whites GMT , SD 2100v2
Re: Backyard Mill

TerryC said:
VERY nice piece of equipment! Question... raw ore to powder... how long? Tnx. TTC

I put the rock through a small jaw crusher first, takes maybe 5 minuets. Then I normally run it half full of rock for 1 1/2 hours, If 3/4 full 2 hours.
Take Care, Chuck

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks. TTC

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010

Wow, and it's portable too, roll that bad boy down to the rock source, load some samples and go eat a sammich while waiting :)

Can GoodyGuy or TERRYC chime in on how fast they think they can crush 6 pouns of ore by hand, if it was already size enough to fit in the hand crushers you made out of fencepost drivers.. ?
I imagine by hand, I could do 20 pounds of ore or more in 2 hours, but by then, I'd be hecha tired. Very nice gear work and weld skills.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Takes me about 5 minutes to crush 6lbs.
Not tiring at all. Probably do it even faster if I wanted to.

* I'm estimating because I never weighed the ore or actually timed myself.

GG~

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010

Yeah but you're a cowboy you're used to hard work,
How a'bought the city boys, I'd bet they tire fast.
Yeah I guess 6 pounds ain't a thing.
Plus, once you find out there's for sure gold in the rocks,
I bet the chunks start flying fast ..I'm gonna check out the weld shop for a scrap base weld and stuff.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FiresEye said:
I bet the chunks start flying fast ..I'm gonna check out the weld shop for a scrap base weld and stuff.

You will be amazed at how fast and easy it is, anyone could do it. It's not like swinging a 20# sledge hammer or anything. You just raise and drop the ramrod, the weight of the rod does most of the work.
I used 3" inside diameter exhaust pipe for my chamber instead of a fencepost driver tube, got it for free out of the scrap pile at the local muffler shop.

Not as fine and consistent powder or as easy on the gold as the ball mill but it gets the job done and its highly portable for use in the field.

GG~

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010

GoodyGuy said:
FiresEye said:

You will be amazed at how fast and easy it is, anyone could do it. It's not like swinging a 20# sledge hammer or anything. You just raise and drop the ramrod, the weight of the rod does most of the work.
I used 3" inside diameter exhaust pipe for my chamber instead of a fencepost driver tube, got it for free out of the scrap pile at the local muffler shop.

Not as fine and consistent powder as the ball mill but it gets the job done.

GG~

That's a fine thing to have, and your description of adding a length of re bar on the inside for rebound hammer is a great idea... Of course it's not like the ball mill, but it sure is functional if you know about gold. It's one of those things that's just gonna take some investment.... whether time, money or skill.
Happy winter solstice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread