837.7 KB · Views: 1,891
  • Изображение307.jpg
    Изображение307.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 4,543

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
stemla:

Although native lead (Pb) is listed as a rarity in nature, it looks like you might have found a large exception to the rule. Most mineral deposits of lead are found as sulfides (galena), sulfates (anglesite) or as a carbonate (cerussite). It would be interesting to read your areas geology to determine how the lead was deposited there. The only other time I've ever seen native lead was in an area with a large galena deposit that had been through a forest fire. The extreme heat of the fire had reduced the PbS to metallic lead.

Also, on a safety note; be careful about melting lead on the kitchen stove as the fumes have a tenacity to cause heavy metal contamination in your body that can seriously effect your health.

Other than that, good find.

John

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
spectacular photos thanks!

I just starting doing this I am trying to get a feel of what all this stuff is supposed to look life if I come across it.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Stemla, I know its been said already but it bears repeating.

Lead being smelted is extremely dangerous!

Those fumes coming off there are enough to kill several men. You should always do such smelting outside and with a fan or something to blow the fumes away from you.

Read the health effects here, its nothing to mess around with!: http://63.234.227.130/SLTC/lead/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread