Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SAFETY Don't Go In Abandoned mines!

black-damp.jpg

http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/open-htm-white-paper.asp?id=1
Read this article on abandoned mines. This article gives you a good idea of what you might be in for if you decide to explore an abandoned mine. Especially children should be taught by their parents at a young age in case they ever come across old mines or even just caves.

Falling Through a False Floor
Falling Down a Shaft
Falling off a bridge
Drowning
Getting Caught by Flash Flooding
Killed by Ghosts (pitch black and being alone)
Bad Air (Black Damp) not breathable
Fire Damp (explosive gas)
Roof Collapses
Radon Gas

I don't mean to scare anyone but only to make sure we are all aware.

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Re: SAFETY Don't Go In Abandoned mines!

i know this is meant to be informational and NOT funny by no means, BUT the "dummy" they used in the mines was hilarious!

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

prospectordamon said:
i know this is meant to be informational and NOT funny by no means, BUT the "dummy" they used in the mines was hilarious!
:laughing9:

I agree, very informative though.

GlennAZ

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I agree, good info to be had there, but that dummy was pretty amusing.
Good info for the beginner to learn some of the basic terminology of underground mining.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.

A shaft inside an adit or tunnel is a winze....the ceiling is called the back.An upward shaft from a tunnel or adit is a raise.A downward stope is an underhand stope.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dave wiseman said:
A shaft inside an adit or tunnel is a winze....the ceiling is called the back.An upward shaft from a tunnel or adit is a raise.A downward stope is an underhand stope.
A little trivia... a tunnel, by defenition, must have a seperate entrance and exit. An adit, you must come out using the way you entered. It is my opinion that most people who STILL are entering the OLD diggings already knew the risk yet felt "not me". TTC

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I always take a rope with me to get out. Thats why they call me "Teflon Don". I have made it out of many tight spots, I guess I have a gift and I am not tryin to cash in, that's me. For others take care and don't go in mines. I don't take chances, I'm sayin, If I hear anything or smell anything then I won't go or I will get out fast. i was in a mine last month and I heard creaking from the rocks above like movement, I was searching the fallen stuff on the cave floor, (Which was pretty level) I got out before some fell (Prietty good ostritch egg size smooth rocks over head.) I knew I should have had a hard hat. (You can't get out if your knocked out). Peace brother.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Let's be honest here man,it's the things you don't hear or smell that'll kill ya.....and the last sound you'll ever hear if any is your own scream as you tumble 2oo feet into eternity.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there---and done that ONCE--good enough for me as all screwups are remembered and on I go much happier,wealthier and wiser-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS- what ya'all think of them mamby pamby sucky emoticons and forum only shows a couple of threads and classifications gone????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions