Help with quartz

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
I just posted this under the prospecting forum but think I might gety more help here.
I found this rock on the beaches of Lake Superior in the U.P. of Michigan.

There are known gold(very small) mines within a mile of my location but I am a newbie and not really sure what to look for
unless it's gold in color.

The one close up is the underside of the rock and looks mineralized where quartz was. It looks a lot like some copper I have bought from the area when I go to visit.

I also collected some black sand from the beach but don't have a pan yet.

There is another pic of what looks like it might be a fossil but I have no idea.

Any ideas/suggestions or directions are greatly appreciated.

Makton

Attachments

• quartz in rock.jpg
    quartz in rock.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 932
  • quartz in rock2.jpg
    quartz in rock2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • quartzinrock3.jpg
    quartzinrock3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 881
  • fossil.jpg
    fossil.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 897
  • fossil.jpg
    fossil.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 729
  • quartzinrock3.jpg
    quartzinrock3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 755
  • quartz in rock2.jpg
    quartz in rock2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 743
  • quartz in rock.jpg
    quartz in rock.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 740

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY nice looking rocks and/or fossil! Wish I could put them under my mineral scope! TTC

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Don Jose,
The pic is the same rock just both sides. #3 looks like the quartz has fallen out over the years.
There is plenty more. Here is another pic of a 20lb rock I brought home.
Same thing with quartz running through both sides.

When looking for gold bearing quartz, do I look for red staining in it or how do I know there is mineralization?

Thanks,
Makton

Attachments

• quartz.jpg
    quartz.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,201
  • quartz.jpg
    quartz.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,260

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makton, To over simplify... (old adage)... Gold is where you find it! Suggestion; go to a hardware store and buy a bundle of those "underground pipe" flags. Plant one at every promising quartz find on the side of the hill. After awhile, a pattern will begin to show. Follow the flags uphill (ALWAYS uphill) to the outcrop source. That is basically how the oldtimers found the spots to dig the tunnels. TTC

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the responses. I am just trying to identify what type of quartz/colors to look for.
Here are some different rocks with what looks like mineralization but again, I am not sure.

Makton

Attachments

• minerals.jpg
    minerals.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 687
  • minerals2.jpg
    minerals2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 707
  • minerals3.jpg
    minerals3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 660
  • whats this.jpg
    whats this.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 665

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Makton,

See my reply under your original posting on this subject..

Klondike...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Makton, To over simplify... (old adage)... Gold is where you find it! Suggestion; go to a hardware store and buy a bundle of those "underground pipe" flags. Plant one at every promising quartz find on the side of the hill. After awhile, a pattern will begin to show. Follow the flags uphill (ALWAYS uphill) to the outcrop source. That is basically how the oldtimers found the spots to dig the tunnels. TTC

Thats true if you have rough quartz samples....these are very water worn and probably traveled many miles from the source

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
TerryC said:

Thats true if you have rough quartz samples....these are very water worn and probably traveled many miles from the source
Very true! Tnx for the clarafication. TTC

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thats good advice terry to mark the quartz until you see a pattern that leads you to the spot. I never heard of that before.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold_Striker said:
thats good advice terry to mark the quartz until you see a pattern that leads you to the spot. I never heard of that before.

Thats the text book scenario,but if you have several lodes or reef's,it is pretty tough,and over millions of years a lot of the "float",isnt visible

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold_Striker said:

Striker, with today's "electronic prospecting", it is easy to overlook the basics. The quartz rocks, to outcrop... is one of those basics. I am by no means an oldtimer at prospecting. I have only been heavily into prospecting since moving to CA in '07. Much of what I have learned has come from these people on this net and store-bought books. Most of my comments are those remarks that have been passed to me when I was a newbee here on the net. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Gold_Striker said:

Striker, with today's "electronic prospecting", it is easy to overlook the basics. The quartz rocks, to outcrop... is one of those basics. I am by no means an oldtimer at prospecting. I have only been heavily into prospecting since moving to CA in '07. Much of what I have learned has come from these people on this net and store-bought books. Most of my comments are those remarks that have been passed to me when I was a newbee here on the net. TTC

....and that is not bad info Terry :thumbsup:Its when you are in the field(which I know you are)and you put what you have read to the test...that seperates the truth from The B.S....and a lot of the books are B.S :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
TerryC said:
Gold_Striker said:

....and that is not bad info Terry :thumbsup:Its when you are in the field(which I know you are)and you put what you have read to the test...that seperates the truth from The B.S....and a lot of the books are B.S :laughing7:
Kuger, It's funny that I've lived (mostly) in the Mother Lode since '07, yet most of my gold has been collected in AZ, since buying my RV! My largest nugget, 1.68 g, came from the area "Forks of the Butte" in Butte Co. CA. I have collected much more in AZ, doing the dry shoveling thing. Books are a good start. Some ARE bs. You can't go wrong, though, with Jim Straight Publications (Follow the Drywashers, etc) or Chris Ralph Fists Full Of Gold. Jim's Nuggetshooter's Bible is the COMPLETE electronic prospecting instructor. Chris' book has an AWESOME section on geology of gold. The other books may not be as good, but most have "gems" of info that must be gleaned out of the BS! Thanks for the "pat on the back". TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
kuger said:
TerryC said:
Gold_Striker said:

Kuger, It's funny that I've lived (mostly) in the Mother Lode since '07, yet most of my gold has been collected in AZ, since buying my RV! My largest nugget, 1.68 g, came from the area "Forks of the Butte" in Butte Co. CA. I have collected much more in AZ, doing the dry shoveling thing. Books are a good start. Some ARE bs. You can't go wrong, though, with Jim Straight Publications (Follow the Drywashers, etc) or Chris Ralph Fists Full Of Gold. Jim's Nuggetshooter's Bible is the COMPLETE electronic prospecting instructor. Chris' book has an AWESOME section on geology of gold. The other books may not be as good, but most have "gems" of info that must be gleaned out of the BS! Thanks for the "pat on the back". TTC

Good job Terry,keep after it bud :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS! Forgot to mention ZIP ZIP. Out of print, but still available if you look hard enough. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread