New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

I was browsing Google Earth today and found they have a 5-14-2011 pic of the "patch" above Stanton, AZ. Looks to be pretty active! You can also see at least 8/9 foundation structures from earlier miners. 34 10.581N 112 42.634W. "Randy's" place is just below at 34 10.195N 112 43.243W. You can see his crane, conveyor belt, shaker/sluice setup and more. Randy has given TimC and I carte-blanche on the place with our MDs. No nuggies yet... VERY difficult terrain... for us old farts! I am posting this to show that Google Earth has done some good resolution pics of the area. NOTE: Both the Potato Patch and Randy's are PRIVATE and actively monitored. Permission to hunt is required! Check 'em out. TTC

Attachments

• Patch.jpg
    Patch.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 2,734
  • Terry\'s.jpg
    Terry\'s.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 2,869

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Re: New pics of the "Potato Patch" at Rich Hill, AZ

nice set up........I see some old camp foundations in that first photo those spots should be probed and detected.......that is still some of the best dig-gin around......lets see some color....a few years back a buddy of mine found a very large nugget by the fence along the old cemetery......on the south side of rich hill.......that's what got me into metal detecting......wow was that a find.....

HH

db

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Looks like at least 7 foundations still present, some in a fairly organized arrangement. Hope someone takes the time and effort to search 'em.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is some very rich ground! We were up there a lot from 1982 - 1985. A lot of big nuggets especially down on Frenchman's Flat. Rob Allison and Chris Gholson own a lot of big nuggies from up there! Good Luck to you! :headbang:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dan, Tube, and Terry,
Thanks for responding. Some foundations are out of pic view. Although we have hunted Randy's place, he made it clear that the patch was off limits to us. We last talked to Randy in April. He was off to his oil drilling stakes. He did not mention (or I did not hear) in what state the drilling was taking place. Yes, the Rich Hill area ABOUNDS in gold! The area will produce MANY more nuggets. Some have my name on them. Yes, baby! Daddy's coming! I taught some GPS classes around Rich Hill. I used two of the old cemetaries as waypoints to find. Not difficult... just student stuff. Tnxs again. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Also, for you research buffs, The gulch running down from the Patch, goes through Randy's claim, then on to parallel Mina Rd. Mina Rd. is also called Old Stage Rd. Randy believes this gulch is called Slaughterhouse Gulch. He did not seem sure. TimC and I recently talked to a man (to remain incognito for now) who claims to be a great grandson of old man Stanton. "John's" grandfather was one of the men to find Stanton after Stanton was shot and killed. "John" and his sister own a claim just north of the Stanton RV areas. He told us, as a young child, he frequented the Stanton area. He remembers that the grave of Stanton is across Antelope Creeck from his site. According to him, Stanton, a man of questionable connections, could not be buried in the nearby cemeteries because they are Catholic. The previous narrative will be studied further to subtract fact from fiction. I encourage all to add any relative info. TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Terry C.....

You're right.. I and my partner just acquired some claims with Slaughter Creek running on the east boarder...Slaughter Creek runs in between Antelope and Weaver Creeks... and up to the Devils Nest area (Potato Patch)....if you really study GE.. you can easily see where Antelope and Slaughter once were the same creek until the large alluvial plain, as we see today developed as it is now...forcing the creeks to separate...

Nice pics and good information .... Again you're right.. the gold in this entire area is very good...as a commercial mine operator, there is enough placer gold....so I'm after the placer gold deposits with the nuggets being my bonus... the nuggets are not even figured into the working operation.... totally a bonus....

Klondike

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

YUP and we all like bonus's!!! although ill probly never get to AZ.todo any mining, i really liked the story! thanks guys!!

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010

I agree, info like this is like candy to a kid. Thanks, Doug.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Doug, Russau... tnx for responding.. and Ike, your response is indeed welcome. Hope to hear you are out and about. I will pick up the RV from Sonora (Ca) tomorrow and head back up to Yarnell, AZ. The Rich Hill area is HARDLY worked out. I hope to see Randy up there to re-new the md offer. My carb for the ROKON will be here in a week. I will work the LDMA claim NE of Stanton with the ROKON. If you are familiar with that 2-wheel drive motorcycle, the ads claim it can climb a 60 degree slope! Tnx again, guys. TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool...Terry...

My new claims are about 1 mile directly south of the Stanton Store... Come on down... it will be good to meet you face to face... I'll be out there in a couple for weeks for some assay sampling on the claims...and will be there for about a week or so.. and will return later after a few weeks for he winter...at least that is the plan for now....and will be there off and on in between my treasure hunting adventures...

Klondike...

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Klondikeike said:
Cool...Terry...

My new claims are about 1 mile directly south of the Stanton Store... Come on down... it will be good to meet you face to face... I'll be out there in a couple for weeks for some assay sampling on the claims...and will be there for about a week or so.. and will return later after a few weeks for he winter...at least that is the plan for now....and will be there off and on in between my treasure hunting adventures...

Klondike...
WOW! Consider it a done deal! I will be here in CA till about November 1st. Then out to Yarnell. Back here for Turkey then Dec. in Yarnell. Dizzy yet? Then we will meet! I usually work the Weaver claim or Y-Not or Stanton. I consider Elmer Stapleton (reportedly) one of the Y-not owners, a friend. He is a professional. South of Stanton is a Detector sales place (private home).I have driven those dirt roads back in there a few times. Usually come North to the private place where you must turn right to pass down into Slaughterhouse Gulch before coming up onto Octave at the water tank. You must be in there somewhere. Later... and tnx! TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool...I should be out there...

At the water tank and below.. I almost purchased some claims there.. (120 acres kind of L shaped.. just below the old tank as well as below the working windmill) but someone beat me to the finish line with their money... The folks who purchased the claims, were getting up to 6 grams a yard in certified assays...that included the free milling and invisible gold in the black sands...

Most of this area around Rich Hill and Weaver Mountain and the many drainages and alluvial deposits are very rich in gold and silver as historically, until recent years... the placers were largely over looked for their commercial qualities...

When you drive out of Stanton, like going back to Congress.....instead of turning right or left on the main road.. go straight...about 1 mile later you'll be on the claims we are looking at and have made a deal for, once we get our assay program completed...

Instead of doing a large commercial operation there, we will start very small...I mean very small.. just above pick and shovel.. and over time build up to a larger operation...

Then I may write a book about how to do that... how to use the mining laws to your advantage.. how be successful from assay to a small commercial operation... and never getting out of the Notice of Operation level of government paperwork...even in our modern times with new and constant environmental issues trying to beat us down....

Come on down.. it will good to meet you..

See ya there...

Klondike..

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ike, As I drive out of Stanton, back towards Congress there is a sign advertising 180 acres for sale. "Wolfman" is sitting there right now. I have a sort of "hobby" of taking pictures of section markers and USLM markers. I found USLM 1277 NE of Stanton but USLM 1971 NW of the Leviethan is a tougher bird! Still looking for where the dirt road comes into Congress from the East. All the roads coming out of Congress are fenced. If I'm turning left at the Earis tank to find you, I know the area well! Popped some Coyotes down there. Lots of Javalina out there too. Later. TTC

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry...

Look on GE and center Stanton store on the LDMA property and RV park.. and look DUE south WITHOUT moving GE around...and you'll see a dirt road wind around some buildings... then go straight south..almost due south.... Find the Commercial operation using GE, not moving it around from your original positioning... there is a commercial operation in the bottom of Slaughter Creek... where that commercial ends...ours begins on top of the alluvial deposit and half way down the eastern slope into Slaughter Creek.. going south from the commercial operation...80 Acres......

Past Octave...where the old water tank is.... is some very nice property... but we missed it unfortunately...there is even a Tungsten vein on the property...but unfortunately it isn't ours.. and where the windmill down in the canyon to the east of the old tank is on Private property...so be careful out there... if you go past the windmill and come to some large rocks in the road as you go up a slight grade.. it gets real narrow there due to the rocks..... when you have past the rocks you are back on the mining claim.. but before these rocks all the way over to old rock adobe on the crest of the alluvial deposit to the west and below the tank..is all private property..

Klondike...

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll zero in, Ike. My brother TimC and I drove up past (one of) the wind mills onto a road that dead ended into a HUGE operation that had so much river rock piled up, we thought it was natural. I've got reservations at Stanton from Nov 1st to Dec 26th. Nice place for you GPAA or LDMA guys! Our paths will cross.... then be covered by the dust.... just as the history of the place comes and goes! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Klondikeike said:
..if you really study GE.. you can easily see where Antelope and Slaughter once were the same creek until the large alluvial plain, as we see today developed as it is now...forcing the creeks to separate...
Klondike
Ike,
Didn't take much study to see where the two creeks once merged.... Just north of Stanton, AZ. Also, in the GE view, you can actually see the green vegetation extending across the alluvial plain separating the creeks. If you drag the GE pointer across this vegetation line, you will see it follows a depression of about 7 to 10 feet deeper than the two sides in most places. May I project that the two creeks are STILL connected underground? The green vegetation would indicate more ground water... possibly following the bedrock. Hmmm, if so, this may be a very good, untapped, placer source! Incidentally, if this pick would have been taken about two weeks earlier, my RV would have still been in slot 62 (or 64) at the far north east end of the park. (you can see my RV in the Yarnell image behind the post office. Neat!) TTC

Attachments

• Stanton2.jpg
    Stanton2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 890
  • RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 823

hillbillyjim49

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2007

Can anyone tell me something (or anything and all) about this claim just south of Stanton ?? Like who owns it and if they let anyone on the claim ?? Info on how to contact them ?? I live in Indiana.
Thank you very much for your time on this.

Attachments

• south of Stanton.jpg
    south of Stanton.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • south of Stanton 2.jpg
    south of Stanton 2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 538
  • south of Stanton 3.jpg
    south of Stanton 3.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 671
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hillbillyjim49 said:
Can anyone tell me something (or anything and all) about this claim just south of Stanton ?? Like who owns it and if they let anyone on the claim ?? Info on how to contact them ?? I live in Indiana.
Thank you very much for your time on this.
I will try to check for you, Jim. Lisa and Jack Tucker are the caretakers at the Stanton (AZ) camp just north of there. Dave is the assistant caretaker. Dave also owns the lot directly south of Stanton. Has for years. He would be your best connection for info. I am in CA right now and will be for at least a month. I'll see if TimC (brother) can do an "on site" check for you. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread