What are aspects of rock that may contains gold?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lahoop said:
What are features of rock that may contains gold?
Colour,weight,surface etc.
Lahoop, Gold is one of the rarest of minerals... usually found with quartz... one of the most common minerals on earth. Go figure! If I am in an area known for gold, I look for quartz that has alot of vugs... holes... in it. Purple or brown quartz is what I look for then crush a sample or two. That's for STARTERS! Also look for shoryl and arsenopyrite. In other words, check with some of the locals for rock samples known to contain gold. TTC

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lahoop said:
What are features of rock that may contains gold?
Colour,weight,surface etc.
Lahoop, Gold is one of the rarest of minerals... usually found with quartz... one of the most common minerals on earth. Go figure! If I am in an area known for gold, I look for quartz that has alot of vugs... holes... in it. Purple or brown quartz is what I look for then crush a sample or two. That's for STARTERS! Also look for shoryl and arsenopyrite. In other words, check with some of the locals for rock samples known to contain gold. TTC
I have seen a lot of rose quartz, I was told to watch some arsenic may be around Quartz. My friend who collects Gold ore said he has seen gold mixed with pyrite. I saw quartz with black vein I was wondering if the black is oxidized silver?
Thanks for the info. friend.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldentruth, Arsenopyrite is a combo of arsenic and pyrite. Kind of goldy-glittery. Shoryl is the black version of tourmylene (spelling?). Klondike Ike put me onto those minerals! The black viens in quartz could possibly be magnetite. TTC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine showed me a piece of stone he found in the desert. It was real "glittery". Lots of pyrite, but in between some of the sparkles you can see some yellow that was bright but did not sparkle. My friend said that the assay for the samples he took in showed 7 oz of gold, and 3 0z of silver per ton. He plans to take me to the area, but like all old miners, he can't remember exactly where. He may show me where, in his own good time, but I'm going to give those "glittery" stones a closer look before I toss 'em.

TimC

kshroom

Mar 30, 2012
Vale Or.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is often deposited in quatrz veins, this is a hydrothermal process (really hot liquid ... lol). gold can be dissiminated throughout other host rock in parts per ton that are conciderd profitable and yet the gold is not visible to the naked eye. ( propossed mine in butte montana, plans were to mine a whole mtn ... as i recall and that was many yrs ago). also research CLARNO FORMATION ... gold deposited into lake/sea bed sediments and then trapped there (insert geologic processes here) creates rich viens. as found in idaho/montana border/ northren nevada and china. in summary gold can be found just about anywhere. research research research then take a weekend and have fun hunting. good luck
K.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two things are almost always present, or were present where gold occurs.... water (hydrothermal) and siesmic activity( earthquakes, volcanoes, mountain building). TTC

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arsenopyrite from Alabama .

Apyrite037-1.jpg

Apyrite035-1.jpg

Apyrite017-1.jpg

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Takoda. I can't wait till I pull something similar out of a rock. Must be a great feeling of accomplishment.

trikeman72

Feb 12, 2013
I've got gold and silver in tailings. Haven't assayed yet just gathering knowledge before going to mine. When I run thru crusher I've got spiral pan machine. Does that reduce it to gold and blk sands meaning I guess will silver stay in pan as well or do I have to keep everything I pan to rerun to get silver from it?
Thanks for the input everyone in advance
Bill

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver should stay in the pan too i would think as long as you pan it correctly

Top Member Reactions