Need Help To Identify From Quartz Vein

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, wouldn't it be good to make this a sticky topic? Second, I found a good sized quartz vein and the photo below is part of what I have pulled out. Being new to the hunt, I was wondering if someone could tell me if the shiny substance could be silver?? Thanks in advance. Ore Sample 1.jpg

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
MrLee:

I have my doubts that the "shiny substance" is silver. It looks more like specular iron (hematite) to me, along with some yellow ocher. Both of these minerals can be indicators of possible precious metals, but only an assay will tell you for sure. It's probably worth check out. Let us know what you find. Good luck, John

OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, thank you for your input. Most of the vein is white with smatterings of green. Then there are spots that look like the sample pictured above that are full of color, red, green, blue, etc.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lee, Red-iron, green-copper, I predict a good mineral fieldbook in your future. NICE piece of quartz! Pulverize about a pound of it and send off to be assayed. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread