Finding out what was mined?

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
I have a lead on an old cabin , mine shack and old mine. I am going to go metal detecting on this place but need to know how I would go about finding out what was mined here. The location is in Wyoming and is now part of a state forest area. Who would have records of the mining claims in Wyoming , Carbon county? Figured if I knew what was being mined I would have a better idea of finding something. I have no idea how claims were established so I could really use some help. HH Tyler

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Should be a tailings pile with evidence. Also, you should be able to look the mine up in the county/BLM records. It'll tell what kind of mine it was.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The county recorders office, usually located in the county seat. Also, the USGS has a series of bulletins published. The one for Oregon has a lot of info on all the historical mines, perhaps you can find one for Montana?

OP
OP
thudson

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
After a phone call to county clerk to find out that they wont do any record searches , I got ahold of the national forest service and bought a BLM map from them that will show township , range and section coordinates. Just what I need to look up the mine and owner. The NFS took over all the land in this area in 1916 so know the mine is older than that. .Thanks for all the help ,I will let you know age and what was being mined when I find out. HH

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
BLM used to have a mining record search on the net called LR 2000. I understand its been out of service for several years though.

It was a fantastic tool for locating mines and checking legal status. Saved a lot of legwork.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smithsgold said:
Works great this should help you out.
Jeff

No, that doesn't work great. I clicked on my claim and it is highly unaccurate.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Been awhile since I looked for it- pretty much given up all hope of it ever coming back! LOL! When did they get it back up and running?

I just checked my old claim and its open- along with another I'd been wanting to file on for some time.... hmmmmm!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Our claims information is incorrect also. I don't think they have worked on the site for awhile.

Exactly!! I'm trying to warn people NOT to use that for claim info. It could turn out quite badly on their end :)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mine didn't even show up on the list. There are 3 with similar names, and none of them showed up, which is strange. They've been there for a long time.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Try the public MC Geo report- I think its more up to date than a place name search, if I remember correctly. You'll need the T/R/S info for your claim.

The ones I looked up already had the 2007 recordation.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I called the BLM today, and the lady told me to go to the lr2000. I told her it wasn't correct, and she said they can take up to 2 years to update it. bah...
She said she was going to send me some info about claims, so we'll see what she sends. I'll report back when I get the info....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Like I say, its been years since I used it. But from what I recall, different areas of the searches came up different, as each was updated. It never hurts to cross reference to find out which has the most up to date info.

If I remember correctly, I used the geo report and searched for inactive claims in a given township. That way you could see the history of each, and find out which were recently abandoned. Still had to go to the recorders office to check for new filings, but it saved time.

It'll definately take some time to learn the system again. Thanks, smithsgold! :)

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Try this it is one of the best I have found , have some other ones that are software but cost mucho $$$$$
http://www.mindat.org/lsearch.php?loc=Maricopa Co.
Try location search as I did , new and old they're all there ;) but really check before ya go digging because none of these systems are 100% accurate and that goes for Govt. sites/search engines
Buddy

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Yeah!
But!
The best bet is STILL !
Go out and sample the tailings & also, get a sample of the "face" !
Just make sure that you don't bring down the roof! :o
OR!
Step into "THAT!" unseen shaft, in the middle of the tunnel!
That'll sure ruin your day! ::)

Attachments

• s-Me-44&Dog.JPG
    s-Me-44&Dog.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 539
  • s-Me-44&Dog.JPG
    s-Me-44&Dog.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 532

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread