Pyrite and Gold or just Pyrite

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Heres a pic of rock we broke open this summer. When you look at the pic do you see gold in there or is it just Pyrite?

Daryl

agold.jpg

Prospecting and Mining Map library of British Columbia

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I think I see green copper oxides, bornite (purplish iridescent staining), and chalcopyrite. If so, then there is probably gold there, at least in trace amounts. Definitely worth sampling them sulfides further regardless.

Hardrocker

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks more like gold than pyrite to me. On the other hand that would be an extreme rarity to see so much widespread gold like that. If its pyrite it would be brittle and probably have some geometric form to it. You could take some of the rock and break it up with a pestle and mortar and see how it behaves. You could also put it in nitric acid to see if it reacts with the acid or not. One could also see if mercury will stick to it. I know that mercury has become a dirty word, but used carefully and in the right cases it can be a very good tool.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ALL pyrite has some level of gold in it. The problem is how to get it out and is it economical feasible to do so? Iron pyrite is hell on nitric acid, tends to use up the nitric rather quickly when trying to dissolve the host rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread