Crushing a couple pieces of quartz from Vein Mtn

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, Astro! Very nice. TTC

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smash hell out of it AB . Good gold to be had in the rock .
Even the press can hold good quantity , it just might not
be as clean an purdy as the hard stuff . Them spotty specks
of gold from some good crush can add up quicker than one
might think and it sells easy . Maybe you can hunt down some
good slide or hard run out there . 8-)

Also ..................

I would toss that piece of pipe with the cap and get a dig
bar man . Cut it in half and you'll get the stamp plus a
chisel / pry tool to boot . Works good with the driver .
755625014672.jpg

Truper Tru Pro 69-in Post-Hole Digging Bar

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Astrobouncer, :icon_thumleft:

That reminds me I haven't crushed the ore that I brought back from Thermal City yet.

If anyone is interested in building their own portable rock crusher here is a DIY link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/188969-portable-rock-crusher.html
Takoda that is a great idea for a ramrod :headbang:
Harbor Freight sells a 68" 17lb one for about $25

GG~
Tnx for pushing my rock crusher GoodGuy! I was about to include it here but you beat me to it. After using it, I made another. The baseplate is not needed and I trimmed the one handle to just enough to hold with one hand. Now the thing is lighter and better fits in a backpack. Tnx agn. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnx for pushing my rock crusher GoodGuy! I was about to include it here but you beat me to it. After using it, I made another. The baseplate is not needed and I trimmed the one handle to just enough to hold with one hand. Now the thing is lighter and better fits in a backpack. Tnx agn. TTC

You are welcome Terry,

Thank you for posting, I have had a nice rock crusher for a little over two years now and it's all due to your video :notworthy:
I'll be using it later today and I cant think of any improvements I would make.

WARNING! breathing the dust from crushed quartz and other minerals is dangerous to your health. Wear a respirator!
See: Silicosis

GG~

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are welcome Terry,

Thank you for posting, I have had a nice rock crusher for a little over two years now and it's all due to your video :notworthy:
I'll be using it later today and I cant think of any improvements I would make.

WARNING! breathing the dust from crushed quartz and other minerals is dangerous to your health. Wear a respirator!
See: Silicosis

GG~
Tnx, GG. I never thought about silicosis. I will be more careful for sure! TTC

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idea ??? Hell GG , I been using it for 4 or 5 years .

Thanks for sharing the suggestion.
......And 5 years later it's still a great idea for someone who wants to make their own rock crusher :icon_thumleft:
That's why I added the Harbor Freight details.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing the suggestion.
......And 5 years later it's still a great idea for someone who wants to make their own rock crusher :icon_thumleft:
That's why I added the Harbor Freight details.

Harbor Freight has some good deals on some stuff for sure .
Especially little things . My wife works a couple of blocks from
one in B'ham . so I send her by to get some things from time
to time . Get some damn good deals on work gloves on occasion .

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Part two is up guys. Crushed up another chunk of quartz from that same area of Vein Mtn. Used a new bigger badder rock crusher made by a buddy of mine on eastern us prospectors, his forum name is jim1966. I think its about 6 inches wide.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video's as usual. :icon_thumleft:

I think I see why you are working so hard..... That ram rod on the new crusher is fearsome!
It's the surface area at the head that's making it more difficult.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm thinking a longer ram rod with a smaller diameter head will be much easier to operate and actually make shorter work of the crushing.

Just try one like Takota suggested and see the difference. It wont matter that the diameter of the cylinder is a lot larger than the head of the ram rod. It's the weight of the rod being concentrated into a smaller area that will make it crush hard rock so much easier.

You could cut the tip of the chisel point off of one of these and try it: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-pinch-point-bar-95971.html
It's amazing the crushing power that a solid steel rod produces when dropped on it's end.

GG~

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
well its winter.guess i better get started on all my rocks,thnx for the vid,its encouraging for a greenhorn like me.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Harbor Freight.
They just opened a new one next to the mall by my house.
It is awesome.
I found this online it looks interesting.

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Takoda, im currently using this setup but for the ramrod im using a 1 1/2 syrup I put together at Home Depot.Only prob with this I've had so far is the galvanized cap sometimes flakes off and is hard to pan out..where did u get the steel pole with the flat end on it??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread