gold sulfate in micaschist/Quartz vein with Manhattan schist.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy all!
I'm new to the site but been doing this since i was 8. lol I recently hit a Sweet Vein with Gold Sulfate (silver combined) and a Ton of copper, molydemium, and some of the weirdest Schist ive ever seen. The formation is surrounded by sandstone limestone and Manhattan schist. Being this old its a throw-up of huge movement. Ill post pictures of the Ore and the Dry wash gold soon. (My wife broke my camera lobbing a sample at the base of the hill Squashing my camera into bits.) The dry wash went horribly (the rock is soo wet??) for here (New Mexico 10% humidity), that's saying alot. so i built a new one smaller longer. the refined gold , panned was tiny but plentiful. (one 5 gallon home depot bucket yielded 1.2 oz) and i will be smelting it down this weekend.
I guess I do have a question or two myself... Mainly due to the Gold i am producing, should i keep using the Dry wash or go for the Vein? and does anyone know of a crusher that i could get cheaply for 1foot boulders to crush?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all!
I'm new to the site but been doing this since i was 8. lol I recently hit a Sweet Vein with Gold Sulfate (silver combined) and a Ton of copper, molydemium, and some of the weirdest Schist ive ever seen. The formation is surrounded by sandstone limestone and Manhattan schist. Being this old its a throw-up of huge movement. Ill post pictures of the Ore and the Dry wash gold soon. (My wife broke my camera lobbing a sample at the base of the hill Squashing my camera into bits.) The dry wash went horribly (the rock is soo wet??) for here (New Mexico 10% humidity), that's saying alot. so i built a new one smaller longer. the refined gold , panned was tiny but plentiful. (one 5 gallon home depot bucket yielded 1.2 oz) and i will be smelting it down this weekend.
I guess I do have a question or two myself... Mainly due to the Gold i am producing, should i keep using the Dry wash or go for the Vein? and does anyone know of a crusher that i could get cheaply for 1foot boulders to crush?

Best deal I've seen on a brand new crusher is $1549.00 for a 15" 13hp with a 4" x 4" opening. makeyourowngoldbars.com
I know of no cheap crushers that accept 12" boulders

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMAG0650.jpg IMAG0653.jpg IMAG0654.jpg

So here are the pictures of whats been pulled out of the Vein..lol there are 60 lbs more, but I'm not taking 100's of photos..
If anyone would like more photos, just hollar! anyhoo, ordering a new Kiln this Friday to melt the Panned gold down. the last firing only got to 1600 degrees,
and was a pretty bar of glass.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
crushed out 5 lbs of the "Iffy" rock (wasn't sure what was or wasn't in it). and took out 10 grams of gold after panning,, not bad but i want sooo much more. Anyhoo after I've crushed some more this week ill post a pict of the panned out gold, before i go and fire it in the new kiln (2500 C) yay! not going that hot, but figured it would be nice to be able to go that hot. Olympic has a new "test fire" kiln that will do 4 crucibles and fire hot enough to melt steel.. We also pulled out more from the Vein. As we've gotten further into the face of the plume the vein has grown from pencil width to about 3/4 of an inch wide. were naming the mine "broken knuckles" due to the bashed state of mine and my wife's hands..

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusted, 10 grams from 5 pounds!? I'd quit my job for that! Can't wait to see what you get from the choice rock.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ordered a Gold Cube today (panning the results of the crushing took 2 days) ill post pictures on Thursday after i get it set up .. cant wait! Mr Lee we also only had crushed the "IFFY" rock VS what has a 1/4 to 3/4 inch vein in it... this might be my mother load tho ... looks as if the vein has just vanished after a month of mining it...8(

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
T-Post pounded 10 lbs of vein today..lol WoW I hurt.. as soon as i can I'm buying a 15" Rock Ore Crusher Pulverizer / 13 hp Gas Motor / Gold Mining / Mill 100-Mesh... ASAP.. the pounding of ten lbs of ore feels like I put 100 fence posts in... ick As soon as the gold cube is in ill post new picts!

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen some cheap crushers for 4-8 inch rock on ebay starting at $305.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
welll GOLD cube Worked well! ill post pict's tomorrow of it..lmao it worked so well i thought "Weird it doesn't want to pan out..." after close examination the gold that wasn't floating on the surface tension (WOW~!) was still stuck to some of the base rock.. after a good cleaning of the Hematite, and a thorough look in a magnifying glass we decided to go with Aqua Regia to pull it from the #8 crush.. its still got to much stuff stuck to it. But I am now a True Fan of the Gold Cube! anyhoo the gold Vein has grown to about 4 feet in width and now runs 5 feet in height in two areas,, still only 1 inch to 2 inches in depth on the vein itself. Wich has led to a new problem... These are beautiful specimens we just cant bring ourselves to crush em... would you?
IMAG0664.jpg IMG_20130210_211255_026.jpg IMG_20130210_211525_101.jpg IMG_20130210_211552_006.jpg IMG_20130210_211626_131.jpg IMG_20130210_211644_241.jpg

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh and if your wondering ...lol these all have the same vein... there just whole pieces that you cant enjoy as well without crushing! lol there all full of IT!.
IMG_20130210_220338_245.jpg IMG_20130210_220529_863.jpg

and after that..there is 400lbs more that do not have any visible gold that we found had a decent amount... 10 grams in 10 lbs..

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so thus far the learning Curve is a little extreme,,, we did our Aqua Regia and it ended green (too much copper) so we had to boil it down RZR 1026.jpg ..afer the boil down (2days in a crock pot) we have to add the residue to nitric acid. (love my fume hood? lol its a blast cabinet with a homemade charcoal filter and scrubber on it)! RZR 1029.jpg .. after another nitric acid bath all that should exist will be Gold and Platinum, thus Aqua regia dissolve again, and drop the gold out with SMB (you can get it at your local brewers supply) Sodium metabisulfite.. ITE is very important Sodium bisulfate (ATE) will not work to drop the gold. Any hoo as promised here are some of the other items Dry wash, the Gold Cube, And the kiln (rewired to hit 2300 Degrees) OO and my temp Rock crusher! RZR 1027.jpg RZR 1032.jpg ugg! files to large for some! ok so i will take new ones smaller...

trikeman72

Feb 12, 2013
Dustedyou said:
Howdy all!

Hey there not sure if u got power where your boulders are....... I went on eBay searched jackhammer and u can get a sweet 110v hammer drill jack hammer for 99.99 shipped. Got mine last week and man it is sweet. Has pointed and blunt hammer bits and a few large drill bits. All in a nice carry case
I'm using a generator on claim and this to bust rock down and a rock crusher and also a recirculating sluice

Hope it helps u out gl and awesome find u have

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish! lol its a 2.5 mile hike to it, thought id bring a small gennie up there. someday..lol the ore has soo much copper in it and it seems easier at this point to drag back just the vein.. if i go at it whole hartedly soon enough ill need to go there..lol plus my garage and back yard are beginning to look like im a freak! lmao Did you build your reticulating sluce? or was it bought??

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so Aqua Regia Works.. but is so slow..lol (even with a crock pot) been working out the Issues with it (Its a testy B!#$%!) got 2 grams finally out of a 25ml of panned ore (gold cubed) Tested it all out to make an easy way to follow..(Yes I will post it as a way complete with pictures...eventually..hehe) im processing 4.2 OZ (estimated gold) @150ml in bottle of panned / gold cubed ore. using Sodium Chloride (Bleach) with 30% Nitric acid (Silver Etch) and 4x 37% HCL (muriatic acid) Seems to help remove the Copper better I have a 8 oz copper ingot! (not a yay!). Any hoo... I also have an traditional Aqua regia nitric 67% muriatic 4x at 37% running after etching the ore with pure nitric for a day. (removes copper/tin nickle) its taking longer on a hot plate at 135 degrees, still bubbling after day 2..lol but its a nice gold / red color! next step is Urea 2x volume (funny thing first test got the wife to pee into a cup!) anyhoo urea added nutrilizes the Nitric and (Siphon out thru coffe filters all your liquid, also the residue will have a lot of silver so save it for later process Silver Chlorite), then add SMB with hot tap water to dissolve it (Sodium Metabisulfite, DO NOT TRY Sodium Bisulfate... same smell no gold dropped! ATE BAD ITE GOOD) You can get it from your local Brewery or spirits Brewing shop. Drop in (weight of assumed gold, or till you smell The worst sulfur stink ever imaginable). If you get a Wif you'll know!.. and let sit in a crock pot for a day, stirring ocasionally.

This is not exact but close there are numerous other quick steps that i found to be in valuable, but i will start a new thread on the whole procedure!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check the post Aqua REgia Yields finally! ..hummm when im done i think ill need to make one post with the picts and proceedures... or not if no one wants.. lemme know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread