Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello I have had this rock for ages and opened it up today. Just curious if you could please tell me about it? Thank you! View attachment 1466798

Made up of quartz, by the looks of it. The colors are due to iron-impurities in the quartz.
The pics look kinda "grainy" to me, imagine a sugarcube. Could be sandstone or quartzite, if I were to guess from that.

Rednosesam

Jun 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ive got few fragments of a meteorite that hit an little island off indonesia. Thats what i have been told when i got it off this old man. And this is an old photo as i gave it to my mate and he got them tumbled IMG-20170630-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20170630-WA0004.jpg

agundrum

Jun 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I found this in a lot in southeastern PA. It was the only one of this type. Here are the photos. Can it be identified?

Thanks
20170627_072523.jpg 20170627_072504.jpg

Last edited:

JammyRock

Jul 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0357.JPG
This rock is also very reflective its not as reflective as obsidian but very close also its heavy compared to rocks similar to its size i also got this rock from a quarry
its also harder than my quartz rocks

i can get more pictures of it if you want

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.Not really an ID question but a geology question,so hoping you can help.Already tried in the prospecting bit,but no help was forthcoming. Gold crystals found in the same place as well formed iron ore crystals. Crap camera will show nothing.But how and why are they are in the same place. What went on here? Iron ore crystals are cubes,an octahedron,and rectangles. Is the fact that they were found in the same place indicative or coincidental?Cheers Photo1768.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey ive got few fragments of a meteorite that hit an little island off indonesia. Thats what i have been told when i got it off this old man. And this is an old photo as i gave it to my mate and he got them tumbled View attachment 1466938
View attachment 1466939

Uncertain as to what or even if it is a meteorite. Is it even magnetic at all? - That's a first good indication.
Curiosity: A guy in Sweden makes knives out of meteorites, which are really cool!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1467339
This rock is also very reflective its not as reflective as obsidian but very close also its heavy compared to rocks similar to its size i also got this rock from a quarry
its also harder than my quartz rocks

i can get more pictures of it if you want

Yes, please, do try to get a better picture. It looks like there are several minerals there; a sulphide might be the metallic looking stuff you see.

Also see if you can get a streak test of the shiny pieces and repeat the hardness test with a knife; use precision, if accidentally the wrong mineral is tested...
Well, let's just say it's not useful. Do check under magnification for the scratch, it might help.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello.Not really an ID question but a geology question,so hoping you can help.Already tried in the prospecting bit,but no help was forthcoming. Gold crystals found in the same place as well formed iron ore crystals. Crap camera will show nothing.But how and why are they are in the same place. What went on here? Iron ore crystals are cubes,an octahedron,and rectangles. Is the fact that they were found in the same place indicative or coincidental?Cheers View attachment 1467497

The limonite (= iron ore, as you call it) has replaced other minerals. Likely pyrite.
Only way to know what happened is to find the source of the material; i.e. hardrock.

Also how/where they found? I.e. a river, a hillside, mountain top? It adds to the puzzle.
If for example a river, it likely will have been transported to the find site. The limonite does not fare well in river transport, so likely a local source.
A hillside might indicate a close source; unless it's made up of ancient river sediments.

So, all that said; yes, I'd be looking for the source - just to be sure!
Keep an eye out for rusty outcrops, gossans.

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou and yes,from a river. Only bit of the river with whole crystals. On the highland boundary fault.Only bit of the river with this really rock hard conglomerate on the bedrock that I have seen and I have tested much of this river.Only bit that treats me to crystals. One of the only bits that is really hard to get to. The normal small gold stuff is everywhere.I will include a normal rock photo with this. But the only stretch producing good crystals of limonite and gold is this one spot with the awesome conglomerate which is very reddish in its make up Photo1736.jpg This is the normal small gold quartz. No good looking crystals of anything really. Thanks again for your time.Nice one

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou and yes,from a river. Only bit of the river with whole crystals. On the highland boundary fault.Only bit of the river with this really rock hard conglomerate on the bedrock that I have seen and I have tested much of this river.Only bit that treats me to crystals. One of the only bits that is really hard to get to. The normal small gold stuff is everywhere.I will include a normal rock photo with this. But the only stretch producing good crystals of limonite and gold is this one spot with the awesome conglomerate which is very reddish in its make up View attachment 1467733 This is the normal small gold quartz. No good looking crystals of anything really. Thanks again for your time.Nice one

Well then, take mental notes of where the crystals start and stop appearing. Then search the sides of that stretch of river.
You might try scanning the conglomerate with a metal detector, if you got one. Otherwise, sample anything odd looking.
Crush and pan if you're on a budget. Send stuff for assay when you need to know more.

Red might be a good sign to. It's typically still iron; a mineral called Hematite.

JammyRock

Jul 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i will see if i can get some pictures done and uploaded on either monday or tuesday

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, take mental notes of where the crystals start and stop appearing. Then search the sides of that stretch of river.
You might try scanning the conglomerate with a metal detector, if you got one. Otherwise, sample anything odd looking.
Crush and pan if you're on a budget. Send stuff for assay when you need to know more.

Red might be a good sign to. It's typically still iron; a mineral called Hematite.

Thanks again.And yeah.The whole area sets off my goldbug2 so it is a bit useless. Really sure of the crystal area though.Because it is just one place.The rest of the stuff is of black sand size with the odd picker.This is the only spot on the entire river. Already decided that if I end up homeless one day,I am moving there. I stayed there for 3 weeks once and really did not want to come back to the real sucky world so had to force myself. And you are right.The stuff on the bank is most unusual. I have literally only scratched the surface of this particular spot. Kinda glad my camping spot got covered by a landslide so I was forced to look elsewhere.Very pretty place with no people that can be bothered to make the dodgy climb. So all to myself.Didn't see 1 face for 3 weeks except for birds and red squirrels.Made me want to go full hermit. Thanks and peace

Crazymaddog63

Jul 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What stone / rock / mineral is this?

Hi all,

new member to this forum and would like to know if anyone could identify this for me? I have no idea where it was found but I am from Australia if that helps. Thanks in advance :)

IMG_7532.JPG
IMG_7533.JPG

Tiome

Jul 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you seem to be interested in identifying rocks, ill ask you if you can identify mine:cat:
The thing is, im pretty sure ive already identified it as preseli, or bluestone, but rheres something about it thats different from the ones I see when I search for it on the Internet, and ive just been wondering why that is... any thoughts or should I find someone else to ask lol 20170703_201245.jpg 20170703_201310.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again.And yeah.The whole area sets off my goldbug2 so it is a bit useless. Really sure of the crystal area though.Because it is just one place.The rest of the stuff is of black sand size with the odd picker.This is the only spot on the entire river. Already decided that if I end up homeless one day,I am moving there. I stayed there for 3 weeks once and really did not want to come back to the real sucky world so had to force myself. And you are right.The stuff on the bank is most unusual. I have literally only scratched the surface of this particular spot. Kinda glad my camping spot got covered by a landslide so I was forced to look elsewhere.Very pretty place with no people that can be bothered to make the dodgy climb. So all to myself.Didn't see 1 face for 3 weeks except for birds and red squirrels.Made me want to go full hermit. Thanks and peace

Been there, done that. I also love being outdoors doing "fieldwork". Good luck!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since you seem to be interested in identifying rocks, ill ask you if you can identify mine:cat:
The thing is, im pretty sure ive already identified it as preseli, or bluestone, but rheres something about it thats different from the ones I see when I search for it on the Internet, and ive just been wondering why that is... any thoughts or should I find someone else to ask lol View attachment 1467937 View attachment 1467940

Cut specimens are always tricky. Yours looks kinda like a metamorphic equivalent to gabbro or diabase. Might even be serpentine.

th&m

Jun 9, 2017
Hobbs NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock quiz

Hi Chump,
This rock is very hard, the square one bent my wide blade pick. I see no value in the rock but need help identifying it.
Thank you,
th&m

Attachments

• 20170608_173130 (1).jpg
    20170608_173130 (1).jpg
    405 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170608_173222 (1).jpg
    20170608_173222 (1).jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170630_145408.jpg
    20170630_145408.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 36

Rednosesam

Jun 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncertain as to what or even if it is a meteorite. Is it even magnetic at all? - That's a first good indication.
Curiosity: A guy in Sweden makes knives out of meteorites, which are really cool!

Haha true i might have to add this i dropped it not long ago and this i saw 20170702_221920.jpg 20170702_221920.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions