Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Belonged to a friend who kept this sitting in his shop office. No idea where it came from, but always liked it. His wife gave it to me after he passed. Weighs about 8 lbs, gray with deep red "veins". Will suck a cheap, weak magnet to it from a half inch or so.. View attachment 1505475 View attachment 1505476

Stumped? LOL

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the world of rocks, but have been showing an interest in them lately and would appreciate some help in identifying two rocks please.

They were both found on the Ceredigion coast in West Wales, one in New Quay and the other Cwmtydu. My daughter wanted to find some 'heart' shaped stones to take home and this is how I found them.

View attachment 1505042
View attachment 1505043
View attachment 1505044
View attachment 1505045
View attachment 1505046
View attachment 1505047

I think they're both sedimentary, but would like to know as much as possible about them please, including the red colouration on the larger rock.

Thanks for any help.

Hard to tell. Could be sedimentary, not familiar with the local geology. If so, possibly some kind of mudstone. (shale?)
The color is from iron-minerals staining the piece.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Belonged to a friend who kept this sitting in his shop office. No idea where it came from, but always liked it. His wife gave it to me after he passed. Weighs about 8 lbs, gray with deep red "veins". Will suck a cheap, weak magnet to it from a half inch or so.. View attachment 1505475 View attachment 1505476

Pictures are kinda blurry. Magnetic due to magnetite. Do a streak test.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello recently I've decided to try to identify alot of the rocks I have found or have been given and a few have stumped me.
View attachment 1505773
View attachment 1505774
View attachment 1505775
View attachment 1505776
View attachment 1505777
View attachment 1505778
View attachment 1505779
View attachment 1505783
View attachment 1505785
Thank you do much if you can identify them

A lot was not exaggerated. To make it simpler to me, limit the posts to about 3-4 minerals. Long lists are terrible work.

#1. To blurry to tell. Looks like there's mica in there.
#2 Blurrite.
#3 Beryl in quartz.
#4 Quartz?
#5 'Desert Rose'
#6 Sulphide. Will a knife scratch it?
#7 Sandstone(?)
#8 Granite
#9 Chalcedony
#10 Calcite, quartz or something else? Uncertain. Seen several minerals with that look.

troikkonen

Oct 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help me identify what type of rock this is. Someone said that it is rhyolite but it does not really look like any images of rhyolite that I can find online.
However, it looks similar to images of pumice that I have found online.

Here's the link to several different photos of the same type of rock: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kz9FjEIilbzsseqi2

I included one photo with my dogs in it for size reference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

headzup

Greenie
Oct 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curious as to what type of rock this is. it was found in north carolina in the piedmont slate belt area. i have posted another pic of this same rock in the geology sub forum.

Attachments

• 1508558876492.jpg
    1508558876492.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 57

Barrett11

Oct 21, 2017
Phuket, Thailand
Detector(s) used
Had a basic model Garrett when I was a kid about 40 years ago; was so chuffed to get that for Xmas!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool site. Hoping you might be able to help identify these white rocks -- for sale at local aquarium fish shop here in Thailand (lady at shop didn't know what kind of rock it is). It's got kind of a grittier/sandy feel to it, not smooth like a quartz. My main hope is that it isn't calciferous, such as limestone, as I don't want raise the PH of my tank water. A test with household vinegar didn't result in any fizzing, but hoping to get an opinion of a pro, Thx!
S_6875114030400.jpg

S_6875112314483.jpg

toneman

Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I just joined this site, very cool! I found these rocks by where I live, any guesses? rocks.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please help me identify what type of rock this is. Someone said that it is rhyolite but it does not really look like any images of rhyolite that I can find online.
However, it looks similar to images of pumice that I have found online.

Here's the link to several different photos of the same type of rock: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kz9FjEIilbzsseqi2

I included one photo with my dogs in it for size reference.

Thanks!

I'd break of a piece just to see the fresh surface. Pumice or even scoria could be likely candidates.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
curious as to what type of rock this is. it was found in north carolina in the piedmont slate belt area. i have posted another pic of this same rock in the geology sub forum.

Responded on the other sub-forum.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a cool site. Hoping you might be able to help identify these white rocks -- for sale at local aquarium fish shop here in Thailand (lady at shop didn't know what kind of rock it is). It's got kind of a grittier/sandy feel to it, not smooth like a quartz. My main hope is that it isn't calciferous, such as limestone, as I don't want raise the PH of my tank water. A test with household vinegar didn't result in any fizzing, but hoping to get an opinion of a pro, Thx!
View attachment 1507324

View attachment 1507323

Tumbled or water-rounded rocks, likely quartz. The rough surface might be natural or from the lack of going into finer grits during tumbling.

DragonBlade

Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings everyone,
I have been looking everywhere online for a way to easily identify a rock I found, and I stumbled across this thread.

This summer, while at the beach, I found a strangely white-ish/yellow-ish piece of rock. At first sight, it doesn't seem all that special... but I live on Prince-Edward-Island, Canada, where rocks typically does not have this kind of appearance and density. Upon closer look, I noticed how it had an unfamiliar feel and look, and decided to take it home for further investigation. Fast forward today, I never got around to getting someone to look at it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

The rock is roughly 7 inches wide by 6 inches long, and 3 inches thick (~17.7, 15.2, 7.6 in centimeters). The rock isn't exactly symmetrical, so this is just to give you a rough idea. It weighs around 1.8kg.

WIN_20171022_15_19_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20171022_15_19_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20171022_15_20_08_Pro.jpg
WIN_20171022_15_20_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20171022_15_26_20_Pro.jpg

First time poster, so I hope I don't screw up anything. Thanks for the help!

toneman

Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the left - interesting. I'd like a close-up, less blurry pic. Could be breccia-ish material.
The others are quartz.

This is the best I could do. I only have my cell phone to take photos with. rocks 2.jpeg

Other side of the rock. rocks 3.jpeg

kkaityxo

Oct 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg had this thing for as long as I can remember, curious to what it actually is🙂 Help ?!

kohntent

Oct 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! My mother passed away earlier this year and we found a box full of these rocks in storage. We think the were may dad's (who died over a decade ago) who was an avid rock hunter. He did most of his rock hunting in Ontario and Quebec, Canada but it is entirely possible he obtained this somewhere else.

I'd be so grateful if you could help identify! Many thanks.
10-23-17.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread