Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

keywordkali

May 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys if you have any rocks you want identified,, or are having a problem with the composition, Post it with questions, and a brief summary of where you got it..I'm down to help!

And I love to play Stump the Chump!:coffee2:

Hello there! I'm new to mineral collecting and I have a specimen gifted to me and I have no clue what it is!
20180525_092806.jpg

Attachments

• 20180525_092825.jpg
    20180525_092825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it silver
Got these rocks today
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527457637.113178.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527457647.431203.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527457658.165740.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527457669.279647.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527457683.714960.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Dhuggett

May 28, 2018
oregon
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this beauty yesterday in a river in Oregon. Can you help me figure out what it is?Its very silky and smooth, both the green area as well as the brown. Thanks! 33599866_10160449936200574_7048417279813353472_n.jpg

bafromkc

Greenie
Jan 17, 2005
Live in Osege Beach, MO to be close to Son, his Wi
Detector(s) used
Fisher 555-D, several White's models, a couple more Fisher's, and now my main detector is the GREATEST - EVER: A Minelab CTX-3030 !
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from old culvert in Arizona

I've got a lot of several types of rocks / minerals. This is just one of them. All are very heavy, a lot are all gray, some like these with copper (green) Even some Heavy granite. What's your opinion of these green / gray samples? Also, do you know a cheap way of pulverizing rocks that doesn't cost $3500?
Thanks, BA 101_2689.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a lot of several types of rocks / minerals. This is just one of them. All are very heavy, a lot are all gray, some like these with copper (green) Even some Heavy granite. What's your opinion of these green / gray samples? Also, do you know a cheap way of pulverizing rocks that doesn't cost $3500?
Thanks, BA View attachment 1596049

Can't see, try a better picture. Best outdoors, in daylight.
Search for rock crushers in this forum.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, BA View attachment 1596049

A capped piece of pipe that fits inside a shorter, larger diameter pipe that is welded to plate steel or just resting on it makes a good pulverizer. Just pound away with the center pipe.

bonafideslacker

Greenie
May 20, 2018
PNW
Detector(s) used
A pair of Garrett Ace 300s that I've no idea how to use properly yet, and pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

This is my first post outside the 'introduce yourself' thread, and I'm sure you've all seen more exotic things than I'll be posting from my new home in coastal Southern Oregon, but I'm just fascinated with the gorgeous colors I've found in every stream, river, and beach and would love to know more. Even my own property contains a steep, rocky creekbed we've not yet been able to access. I've always been looking down...watching for dropped keys, shiny things, and most especially 'pretty rocks'. Well I've hit the motherlode of pretty rocks here and cannot imagine how I'll ever stop picking them up now.

On identification: while I've done a lot of internet sleuthing, the thing that comes up most often is that - obviously - the majority of the stuff I'm finding here is chalcedony (jaspers and occasional agates and quartz I think). However there seem to exist more names for these stones than exist the stones themselves. I've read about picasso jasper and fancy jasper and brecciated jasper and agatized jasper and opalized jasper and....jeez with the different names. So here's my main query: are they all basically the same damn rock that folks name arbitrarily based on visual appeal or is there some classification of Actual Names for these different stones? If there is, can someone please direct me to it? Whew.

I'll attach a few pics of my 'chalcedony, I think' . Also found this seemingly-fossilized-bone thing on my property. Large, extremely heavy, hopefully not human.

Anyone want to try and enlighten me as to the myriad differences in chalcedony, and tell me I've not dug up part of someone's old auntie?

Thanks!
Dana

IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2548.jpg
IMG_2563.jpg
IMG_2564.jpg
IMG_2565.jpg
IMG_2567.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone,

This is my first post outside the 'introduce yourself' thread, and I'm sure you've all seen more exotic things than I'll be posting from my new home in coastal Southern Oregon, but I'm just fascinated with the gorgeous colors I've found in every stream, river, and beach and would love to know more. Even my own property contains a steep, rocky creekbed we've not yet been able to access. I've always been looking down...watching for dropped keys, shiny things, and most especially 'pretty rocks'. Well I've hit the motherlode of pretty rocks here and cannot imagine how I'll ever stop picking them up now.

On identification: while I've done a lot of internet sleuthing, the thing that comes up most often is that - obviously - the majority of the stuff I'm finding here is chalcedony (jaspers and occasional agates and quartz I think). However there seem to exist more names for these stones than exist the stones themselves. I've read about picasso jasper and fancy jasper and brecciated jasper and agatized jasper and opalized jasper and....jeez with the different names. So here's my main query: are they all basically the same damn rock that folks name arbitrarily based on visual appeal or is there some classification of Actual Names for these different stones? If there is, can someone please direct me to it? Whew.

I'll attach a few pics of my 'chalcedony, I think' . Also found this seemingly-fossilized-bone thing on my property. Large, extremely heavy, hopefully not human.

Anyone want to try and enlighten me as to the myriad differences in chalcedony, and tell me I've not dug up part of someone's old auntie?

Thanks!
Dana

View attachment 1596844
View attachment 1596845
View attachment 1596846
View attachment 1596847
View attachment 1596848
View attachment 1596849
View attachment 1596850

Mystery to me too. Are you aware there is gold to be found all up and down the Oregon beaches too? Check out this thread. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today.html

Have fun be it collecting or prospecting.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks!
Dana

View attachment 1596844
View attachment 1596845
View attachment 1596846
View attachment 1596847
View attachment 1596848
View attachment 1596849
View attachment 1596850

Hello, Dana.

A lot of jasper "names" are simply trade names; names tradesmen use to make it sound more fancy and exotic. A marketing gag.
You'll still be accurate to just call it "jasper" or "agate", even chalcedony, since jaspers and agates belong to the chalcedony-group.
Add chert to that group and you've opened a can of worms among mineral-interested people.
Exact definitions are being debated, and precise ID is difficult without lab gear. Which is why there is so much wiggle room for a myriad of names.

Rule of thumb:
If it has concentric banding; agate
If it's opaque; Jasper
Others can be referred to as chalcedony.
If uncertain; Chalcedony is the safe choice.

In your pics I see some quartz, jasper, granitoid and a few other odds and ends.

Your "bone" might be sandstone. Hard to tell. Drip a little vinegar on it to exclude limestone.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Dana

View attachment 1596844
View attachment 1596845
View attachment 1596846
View attachment 1596847
View attachment 1596848
View attachment 1596849
View attachment 1596850
Possibly the hollow one is a[FONT=&quot]ichnofossil [/FONT]or a fossil of a fossil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread