Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1621938 View attachment 1621939 View attachment 1621940 View attachment 1621941

Hello,

Found this metamorphic type rock near manitoba Canada border, noticed it had silver coloured pieces of metal in it. The metal and entire rock is Non magnetic whatsoever. I checked with a large strong niobium Magnet.

I broke open the rock and panned it, I had a lot of silver coloured "heavies" and small silver coloured nuggets that I could pluck out with my fingers.

Further- There was absolutely no magnetic black type sand in the pan. The silvery material seems NOT of great density in relation to that of copper, silver, gold, platinum. It seemed even though I used some detergent I still had a silvery material that would adhere on the surface of the water.

Some of the nuggets I could powederize with pliers by squeezing, while other pieces of seemingly the same material I could not.

I hope this is of help to figuring out what this is. Again I thank the site for the help. Have a great day!

Some kinda sulphide.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I would throw this up here and see if anyone had some idea's. Crushed a small amount of material from an old mine I found (1 of 3 within a couple hundred meters of each other). The material was mostly canary yellow in color and stained everything it touched, bits of brownish red mixed in. Should have taken a picture of the samples before I crushed them, looked very similar to pictures of limonite I've seen. The picture is what I found after panning down the crushed material, metallic silvery luster when wet or dry (is wet in picture), when dry it almost has a dark greenish look to it. Is not magnetic, a few of the black specs in the picture did react to a magnet. It acted very heavy when panning it, can't say how heavy compared to gold in a pan as I haven't found any yet haha. It doesn't move easily though and it was very easy to wash all of the other material off of it. I did heat it up in a skillet on my electric stove, as hot as I could, no smells that I noticed, didn't react to a magnet after being heated.
Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

None of the above aids in ID. Could be some oxide or sulphide. Should've taken pics before crushing.
And then done the appropriate tests before crushing, to.

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Got a few rocks here I need help identifying, I am a relatively new rockhound and have been learning lots in the last month. Anyway, on to the pics!
_JON5462.jpg _JON5464.jpg _JON5465.jpg _JON5468.jpg

So the first two pics, I believe are pink or red aventurine, the first pic is a piece I cut and polished to 220, am going to polish further as time allows, I also have a few pieces in the tumbler in pre polish at the moment. Second pic is a rough piece. Third pic I have no clue, it is something my father gave me as a kid, and he is not around anymore to remind me what it is. The fourth pic I believe are just quartz, but like I said, I'm new to this, so I would like help learning to ID these things. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is from the Cordillera, the main north-south mountain range, in central Honduras. These grow in nodules like flint. At first I thought it was flint or chert, but it is softer and doesn't spark. This area of the mountain range is mostly Andesite and volcanic tuff, but I've never seen such nodules in tuff before. They are very heavy and much denser than tuff, much more like Andesite.

I've included some photos to show close-up views of the "rind" surrounding the nodules as well as an idea of the inclusions. The nodules that I've found range from a pound or so up to thirty pounds. Could anyone with more geologic expertise than I please give me some idea of what this is?

DSC_1991.jpg DSC_1988.jpg DSC_1985.jpg DSC_1987a.jpg

Chakarena

Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this petrified agate?

This was part of my late fathers rock collection from western Arizona. Any input on what it actually is? I have a few more unusual pieces that no one can confirm but wanted to start with this. 06DC2F09-9FDA-4445-8A8B-A47832FB2FF7.jpeg 5676F649-42FC-40B2-AD67-1E6D5576832B.jpeg 75DC21C8-7F4E-426C-848F-AD20C46489FF.jpeg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is from the Cordillera, the main north-south mountain range, in central Honduras. These grow in nodules like flint. At first I thought it was flint or chert, but it is softer and doesn't spark. This area of the mountain range is mostly Andesite and volcanic tuff, but I've never seen such nodules in tuff before. They are very heavy and much denser than tuff, much more like Andesite.

I've included some photos to show close-up views of the "rind" surrounding the nodules as well as an idea of the inclusions. The nodules that I've found range from a pound or so up to thirty pounds. Could anyone with more geologic expertise than I please give me some idea of what this is?

View attachment 1623345 View attachment 1623373 View attachment 1623374 View attachment 1623378

Ignimbrite?

CyHawkGold

Oct 19, 2017
The Land Between Two Rivers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about this rock? I've posted it elsewhere with no results.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like a chunk of wood that has been shaped, then power wire brushed to remove the softer wood between the growth rings, then touched with a torch, lightly wire brushed again, then polished.

Since it's a rock it must be a piece of petrified wood.

Just my thoughts.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking maybe Leaverite, or perhaps a genuine "lovestone" (F'ing Rock). Looks more like petrified pastrami, though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a chunk of wood that has been shaped, then power wire brushed to remove the softer wood between the growth rings, then touched with a torch, lightly wire brushed again, then polished.

Since it's a rock it must be a piece of petrified wood.

Just my thoughts.
It was acquired in a small lot of pre Columbian artifacts. This is the only piece that isn't identifiable. The "rings" bubble up with a drop of hydrochloric acid. The rock itself isn't affected. It streaks white. Pic 4 shows the bottom. Pic 5 the top. Pics 6 and 7 shows each side.

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, Yellodog5. My snarky answer was not directed at you. I honestly thought Eu_citzen was joking about names like "Ignimbrite". After looking it up, I found that it's actually real. I'll check next time before making a "smartass" answer.

acarrillo2

Aug 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F8179432-5BA4-43A3-B732-4E340063CFC4.jpeg 0BC9F9B3-4963-46E8-A9AE-7FF60A6FA76C.jpeg F8179432-5BA4-43A3-B732-4E340063CFC4.jpeg B22E51BD-5C93-4C95-A4E6-EC9B8709304B.jpeg EE02F904-0D9C-42DD-A0FF-0CF48079B76A.jpeg

All I know is that it’s from Santander, Colombia, South America but nothing more. I was thinking some sort of fossilized material but I’m far from an expert.

Thanks in advance

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about this rock? I've posted it elsewhere with no results.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd need higher resolution pics. But the HCl test indicates the presence of calcite. I'm still leaning towards sedimentary rock.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry, Yellodog5. My snarky answer was not directed at you. I honestly thought Eu_citzen was joking about names like "Ignimbrite". After looking it up, I found that it's actually real. I'll check next time before making a "smartass" answer.

:-X:-X;D;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread