Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Cid1313

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a meteorite, do me a favor see if a magnet (neodymium) sticks to it HARD, if it won't stay on it its a meteor wrong, then we go to what else it may be, try and cut it with a knife edge, and drag it on some white tile
These are standard tests, but from the picture and your description, i would say meteor,,,if it iscan you go back to the spot you found it? Or mark it on a map? And if so you could be looking at 100$ a gram. Let meknowhow those tests go! Good luck!

Sry i missed this post some how, with a fair sized neodymium magnet it is only magnetic in the spots with clear iron oxidization with a knife, it didnt cut it get damaged, it looks more like it was rubbing the edge of the knife off onto it, the broken inside part, under higher preassure did have a small mark and some crumbling off of the rock. I used a ceramic honer for the for the streak test, and the color was a dark brownish red. And yeah i know where i found it ;)

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sry i missed this post some how, with a fair sized neodymium magnet it is only magnetic in the spots with clear iron oxidization with a knife, it didnt cut it get damaged, it looks more like it was rubbing the edge of the knife off onto it, the broken inside part, under higher preassure did have a small mark and some crumbling off of the rock. I used a ceramic honer for the for the streak test, and the color was a dark brownish red. And yeah i know where i found it ;)

Ya asi feared, the magnet is the big test, strong attraction ,meteor, no attraction most likely a lava bomb with some iron in it, i carry a neodymium magnet with me to test on the spot. 99%of the time even with a stony meteor it will smack itself to the rock violently . most likely you just have a lava bomb with some iron in it. Drat i was about to grab my metal detector and head out m8.. Lol keep looking and i hope you find some fun soon!

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the toilet lid. At first it was black, then nothing. And it smelled bad. Could it be sulfur? 20160302_210752.jpg 20160302_210757.jpg 20160302_210808.jpg

This is for the "golden egg" streak test - the one from the beach. I can't describe the smell burnt hair maybe?

Last edited:

Cid1313

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya asi feared, the magnet is the big test, strong attraction ,meteor, no attraction most likely a lava bomb with some iron in it, i carry a neodymium magnet with me to test on the spot. 99%of the time even with a stony meteor it will smack itself to the rock violently . most likely you just have a lava bomb with some iron in it. Drat i was about to grab my metal detector and head out m8.. Lol keep looking and i hope you find some fun soon!

Maybe i wasnt clear, but there are spots of very high magnatic attraction (where it does smack on to it, even from a slight didtance), and spots of low( where the you can feel attraction, but it wont hold its self too the stone) but over all its is atleast slighty magneticly attractive

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used the toilet lid. At first it was black, then nothing. And it smelled bad. Could it be sulfur? View attachment 1280690 View attachment 1280691 View attachment 1280694

This is for the "golden egg" streak test - the one from the beach. I can't describe the smell burnt hair maybe?
Lmao
No really, I'm actually sitting here chuckling, I've never seen a toilet seat used then the smell questioned. Lmao so literally yes but the smell actually makes some sense, sulfur dioxide hints to it possibly being graphite, witch can be very soft to a mohs of 2 with the addition of sulfur. Soft and would streak just that way, would have a metalic sheen to it grey to golden.
Large deposits of graphite are very interesting , and have yielded to silver gold and even emerald flutes.i would research it and let me know what you think! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite

TonyDeetz

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS URANIUM ORE? Especially the one in top left and bottom right? Looked very similar to the pics I seen on google for uranium ore as far as what I saw?My 2nd guess :Green Iron Oxide Copper gold ore ? These were found together about 20ft down in the ground when they had to dig up a busted water main. I am very curious ? Hopefully you can shed some light on these ..Thanks ....Tony Deetz
20160302_203232.jpg 20160302_204112.jpg 20160302_005653.jpg 20160302_204514.jpg

20160302_203336.jpg 20160302_203422.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe i wasnt clear, but there are spots of very high magnatic attraction (where it does smack on to it, even from a slight didtance), and spots of low( where the you can feel attraction, but it wont hold its self too the stone) but over all its is atleast slighty magneticly attractive

Alrighty then sir, you have two choices,
one go buy a 30$ tile saw from harbor freight. It has a diamond blade on it and is dirt cheap to cut an end off of of your stone there. You want to cut a part that is not smooth,this is important because you don't want to mar the smooth side up, a thin sliver cut off the back side say 1/4inch thick will do wonderfully, you will know exactly what it is when you cut it it will look like a meteor google has 10000 plus pictures of many different types.
Or prospect #2 take it to your local geology department at any university, there is a problem i have with #2 you may not get your sample back, and sometimes if you give away the area it will be full of students from the guys class the next day.
Once you have the slice off of it you can send it to NASA for a full analysis ( there web page has a full explanation of whom what where) you will receive a printout of what they consider it to be. A general location will be wanted for this. Find out whom owns the land and what your rights to everything are before you go any further,.
This is why i say tile saw,then you know where when why, because I've seen meteor hunters loose there stuff on a new hunt. And with some reaching 5000 dollars a gram ( that is a whole other discussion), you'll want to keep a secret, document it right and set a deal with or clean an area before publishing anything. (and that is another discussion).
All in all if you cut it and it is not a meteor, then your only out a tile saw, and its always useful with cutting the next rock. Send me an email if you need any further help with it! [email protected]

TonyDeetz

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI THERE
So I am very curious about what these rocks are Im leaning towards Uranium Ore ??? 2nd Guess Green Iron Oxide Copper Gold Ore (if that made sense..lol)
The one is a little wet from washing it off but to me the structure and cystalyzation of those blackish green cube formation on the wet one looked like uranium O
Ore ?? Anyways any help on this is Appreciated .These rocks were all dug out about 20ft down where a water main broke.
Thanks Tony Deetz

View attachment 1280 20160302_204514.jpg 20160302_204433.jpg 20160302_204112.jpg 20160302_204527.jpg 20160302_203808.jpg 20160302_005653.jpg 20160302_204132.jpg
S

Update and response so here is a picture when its dry and a few more close ups where I can see alot of mercury excreeting out when its it gets above room tempture .ex ( Hot water heat ) it turns green when wet with alot of the green looking metalic and translucent at the same time... ( unstable transitional metals?) if thst makes any sense.anyways here are some closer shots and another thing is it looks different every time almost...is alot of organic mercury some looking unflowered at all.. and I believe this could be trying to cover amalgam with the gang metals that are inthe host rock.
Anyway you can probaby tell how confused I am right now
Yes you can scratch it with a knife except the black parts are extremelely hard parts of it seem mallable it alot of it is volcanic or seemeem like volcanic geothermal in nature I am in Portland Ore

.thanks people..
20160302_093601-1.jpg 20160302_093758.jpg 20160302_093657-1.jpg 20160302_093714-1.jpg 20160302_093601-1-1.jpg 20160302_093534.jpg 20160302_093601-1-1.jpg 20160302_203531.jpg 20160302_203633.jpg 20160302_203706.jpg

Attachments

• 20160302_203336.jpg
    20160302_203336.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20160302_203503.jpg
    20160302_203503.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 1456987733274-327144895.jpg
    1456987733274-327144895.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20160302_203509.jpg
    20160302_203509.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160302_203251.jpg
    20160302_203251.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The problem is that if i do your math properly i get 57.5
Density Conversion
Using this converter g/cm3 to g/dm3 using my measurments of 0.23g and 4cc aka 4cm^3

Right. So: 1 cm^3 = 0,001 dm^3
We're converting volume first, not density. The reason? I find it simpler. All the commas go where they should be.

Doesn't matter, I'm sure its hematite. The magnetic spots come from magnetite. (hematite can form from oxidization of magnetite):occasion14:

Cid1313

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alrighty then sir, you have two choices,
one go buy a 30$ tile saw from harbor freight. It has a diamond blade on it and is dirt cheap to cut an end off of of your stone there. You want to cut a part that is not smooth,this is important because you don't want to mar the smooth side up, a thin sliver cut off the back side say 1/4inch thick will do wonderfully, you will know exactly what it is when you cut it it will look like a meteor google has 10000 plus pictures of many different types.
Or prospect #2 take it to your local geology department at any university, there is a problem i have with #2 you may not get your sample back, and sometimes if you give away the area it will be full of students from the guys class the next day.
Once you have the slice off of it you can send it to NASA for a full analysis ( there web page has a full explanation of whom what where) you will receive a printout of what they consider it to be. A general location will be wanted for this. Find out whom owns the land and what your rights to everything are before you go any further,.
This is why i say tile saw,then you know where when why, because I've seen meteor hunters loose there stuff on a new hunt. And with some reaching 5000 dollars a gram ( that is a whole other discussion), you'll want to keep a secret, document it right and set a deal with or clean an area before publishing anything. (and that is another discussion).
All in all if you cut it and it is not a meteor, then your only out a tile saw, and its always useful with cutting the next rock. Send me an email if you need any further help with it! [email protected]

I do already own a tile saw, so i will deff be doing that 1st, and yeah i have always had the option of taking it to my local college, but i have feared exactly what you have said, there are currently only 2 people who know where i got this sample from, and we would like it to stay that way, atleast for a wile.its too late now, but ill dig out my saw in the next couple days, and make a slice or 2 ,depending on how good i do. And show you some pictures when i do.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lmao
No really, I'm actually sitting here chuckling, I've never seen a toilet seat used then the smell questioned. Lmao so literally yes but the smell actually makes some sense, sulfur dioxide hints to it possibly being graphite, witch can be very soft to a mohs of 2 with the addition of sulfur. Soft and would streak just that way, would have a metalic sheen to it grey to golden.
Large deposits of graphite are very interesting , and have yielded to silver gold and even emerald flutes.i would research it and let me know what you think! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite

Cracks me up!
LMAO!

Either way, graphite would discolour your hands just form handling it. Do you get grey after handling the specimen?

I'm thinking a sulphide. Can a knife scratch it?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tony,

Your specimen reminds me of 'wad' - a name for manganese minerals.

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't use the toilet seat. If you want to mock my joke fine. Have a blast but I never said I used the seat. Someone else suggested chalcopyrite. Seems more logical than dolomite maybe?

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracks me up!
LMAO!

Either way, graphite would discolour your hands just form handling it. Do you get grey after handling the specimen?

Hi Tony - pretty sure it's not graphite and there's no discoloration from handling it. It initially scratched dark but immediately stopped marking.

Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said sulfur but that's not the right description. It's a smell I can't describe. Like iron but burnt. Burnt hair or something like that. It's more burnt than eggs but maybe like eggs burnt in an iron pan.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Dusted, I got a few I would love you to peek at, the first two are a host rock of some type of crystal. The crystals I can pop out are cool, but I can't tell what they are. They look like garnets, but more have the color of smokey quartz. I'm not really a gem dude, just a cool rock I couldn't pass by.
The others are all ore samples from the Central city mining district in my home state of Colorado. I know they are all high sulfide ores that do contain micron gold when crushed and panned. The very silvery pyrite looking stuff has me confused a bit still. The mine reports don't mention arsenopyrite, and I don't think im mistaking it for galena. What causes the pyrite to be silver like this? This Colorado ore is anything but simple. I wish it was all creamy white quartz with glowing yellah scars and pimples, but we can't have everything!

Attachments

• 1457013194476.jpg
    1457013194476.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 1457013207816.jpg
    1457013207816.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 1457013243505.jpg
    1457013243505.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 1457013268786.jpg
    1457013268786.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 1457013314636.jpg
    1457013314636.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1457013358226.jpg
    1457013358226.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 75
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracks me up!
LMAO!

Can't scratch it w a knife nor does it scratch glass.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dusted, I got a few I would love you to peek at, the first two are a host rock of some type of crystal. The crystals I can pop out are cool, but I can't tell what they are. They look like garnets, but more have the color of smokey quartz. I'm not really a gem dude, just a cool rock I couldn't pass by.
The others are all ore samples from the Central city mining district in my home state of Colorado. I know they are all high sulfide ores that do contain micron gold when crushed and panned. The very silvery pyrite looking stuff has me confused a bit still. The mine reports don't mention arsenopyrite, and I don't think im mistaking it for galena. What causes the pyrite to be silver like this? This Colorado ore is anything but simple. I wish it was all creamy white quartz with glowing yellah scars and pimples, but we can't have everything!

Yummy quartz ore vein, probably lead and silver, crush,pan, and see what values you retain, the arseno pyrite was most prevalent in tellurides. The sulfide ores are quite a possibility, i have very fine micro gold in mine. But there in such a high quantity that they float, smelt it, after panning, or sulfuric acid, wash then hcl40% to nitric acid 60% in glass, then drop out using urea to stop the acid , and drop your gold., i use a glass kiln to smelt small values and a source forge for large quantities. Cleanup is an artform. Need more help on it ? Bcceo.dl @ gmail.

And hard rock mining is just that, insane hard, not for the weak of pocketbook.. Lol good luck m8!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS URANIUM ORE? Especially the one in top left and bottom right? Looked very similar to the pics I seen on google for uranium ore as far as what I saw?My 2nd guess :Green Iron Oxide Copper gold ore ? These were found together about 20ft down in the ground when they had to dig up a busted water main. I am very curious ? Hopefully you can shed some light on these ..Thanks ....Tony Deetz
View attachment 1280760 View attachment 1280763 View attachment 1280765 View attachment 1280766

View attachment 1280761 View attachment 1280762

Magnesium oxide, and the crystaline structures are possibly a type of patate phosphorus, not positive but sure on the black psylomelane, aka magnesium oxide.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI THERE
So I am very curious about what these rocks are Im leaning towards Uranium Ore ??? 2nd Guess Green Iron Oxide Copper Gold Ore (if that made sense..lol)
The one is a little wet from washing it off but to me the structure and cystalyzation of those blackish green cube formation on the wet one looked like uranium O
Ore ?? Anyways any help on this is Appreciated .These rocks were all dug out about 20ft down where a water main broke.
Thanks Tony Deetz

View attachment 1280 View attachment 1280771 View attachment 1280780 View attachment 1280772 View attachment 1280781 View attachment 1280782 View attachment 1280773 View attachment 1280784
S

Update and response so here is a picture when its dry and a few more close ups where I can see alot of mercury excreeting out when its it gets above room tempture .ex ( Hot water heat ) it turns green when wet with alot of the green looking metalic and translucent at the same time... ( unstable transitional metals?) if thst makes any sense.anyways here are some closer shots and another thing is it looks different every time almost...is alot of organic mercury some looking unflowered at all.. and I believe this could be trying to cover amalgam with the gang metals that are inthe host rock.
Anyway you can probaby tell how confused I am right now
Yes you can scratch it with a knife except the black parts are extremelely hard parts of it seem mallable it alot of it is volcanic or seemeem like volcanic geothermal in nature I am in Portland Ore

.thanks people..
View attachment 1280952 View attachment 1280953 View attachment 1280954 View attachment 1280955 View attachment 1280956 View attachment 1280958 View attachment 1280956 View attachment 1280959 View attachment 1280960 View attachment 1280961
Uranium pitch can hold these colors but with the volcanic influence on the rock im thinking you have a phosphorus patate, if you stick it in vinegar does it bubble?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread