Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response
So is this a good thing or bad thing ? Because I have slot more of these rocks and I think there's a lot of gold dust right near where I'm finding theese this might be ignorant of me but I think it's gold because it just looks like it it's not really shiney persay but idk any more insight would be greatly appreciated .

From my experience, the rock in your pictures likely doesn't have anything beyond some minor secondary enrichment (might find a small amount per ton)... HOWEVER the volcanic activity that heated that groundwater left something more promising upland in decomposing domes of rhyolite / porphyry deposits. Rhyolite makes a distinct hollow semi-metallic ring when you hit it against another chunk due to the high silica volume, makes it easy to identify when you've hit the volcanic (good) stuff.

You may find some nice placer deposits in the area where you found the rock in your picture, really just depends on the geology of your area.

trfinder

Greenie
Feb 17, 2011
This one's a real puzzle.

First a little background on it. The rock pictured came from my great grandfather's collection. He was a serious rock hound who traveled the country in search of material to cut, polish, or just display as a specimen. This one was kept in a cabinet with some of his best specimens. I inherited the collection years ago, and although my rock and mineral knowledge is pretty decent, this is one that I have never been able to figure out. I have no background on this specimen, and since he was so well traveled, it could have come from anywhere.

It looks like a flint nodule; you can see where there is a large chip out of it in the photos. Here's the thing though. It's hollow, and something rattles around inside it when you shake it. I see no seams in it, and am certainly not going to crack it open. What do you think? 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

First a little background on it. The rock pictured came from my great grandfather's collection. He was a serious rock hound who traveled the country in search of material to cut, polish, or just display as a specimen. This one was kept in a cabinet with some of his best specimens. I inherited the collection years ago, and although my rock and mineral knowledge is pretty decent, this is one that I have never been able to figure out. I have no background on this specimen, and since he was so well traveled, it could have come from anywhere.

It looks like a flint nodule; you can see where there is a large chip out of it in the photos. Here's the thing though. It's hollow, and something rattles around inside it when you shake it. I see no seams in it, and am certainly not going to crack it open. What do you think? View attachment 1394043 View attachment 1394044 View attachment 1394045

Chalcedony, perhaps jasper.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found these in the woods alongside a river in G.A. It appears to be red clay with gold flakes in it. I'm not positive so here they are.

Mica schist? It surely is rich in mica.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It looks like a flint nodule; you can see where there is a large chip out of it in the photos. Here's the thing though. It's hollow, and something rattles around inside it when you shake it. I see no seams in it, and am certainly not going to crack it open. What do you think? View attachment 1394043 View attachment 1394044 View attachment 1394045

Isnt this how the movie Aliens started?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just some more of the samples in my collection.

Attachments

• 20161227_182910.jpg
    20161227_182910.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20161227_183032.jpg
    20161227_183032.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20161227_183116.jpg
    20161227_183116.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 78

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just some more of the samples in my collection.

Nice sulfides. What's the hostrock? Looks granitoid, but the last picture resembles amphiblole or pyroxene.
Difficult to tell from the pic.

Here's one from my collection of samples:
Mixed031.jpg

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice sulfides. What's the hostrock? Looks granitoid, but the last picture resembles amphiblole or pyroxene.
Difficult to tell from the pic.

Here's one from my collection of samples:
View attachment 1397492

Yea, my tablet is a little contrary at times. I am not exactly sure of the host rock as it displays both igneous and metamorphic signs.
Good call on the sulfides. Most would flip out thinking this is the mother load when it is only chalcopyrite. Mother Nature did some jacked up chit here in Arizona.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, my tablet is a little contrary at times. I am not exactly sure of the host rock as it displays both igneous and metamorphic signs.
Good call on the sulfides. Most would flip out thinking this is the mother load when it is only chalcopyrite. Mother Nature did some jacked up chit here in Arizona.

I hear you. The rock reminds me of a specimen I've seen from Sweden. Use a loupe and check the "mineral grains" of the rock.
Are they angular or slightly rounded? The rounded look could give a hint towards metamorphism.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear you. The rock reminds me of a specimen I've seen from Sweden. Use a loupe and check the "mineral grains" of the rock.
Are they angular or slightly rounded? The rounded look could give a hint towards metamorphism.

Ok. Let me see I can find my loupe. Its out in the garage and the garage looks like an F-5 tornado (namely me) just tore through it. Downsizing and cleaning it out in preparation to finish the inside for a few new toys.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. Let me see I can find my loupe. Its out in the garage and the garage looks like an F-5 tornado (namely me) just tore through it. Downsizing and cleaning it out in preparation to finish the inside for a few new toys.

I prefer the term "Organized Chaos".:occasion14:

NaturalMyztic

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
I'm new here. I just created an account just so I could get this rock identified. DSCN2096.JPG DSCN2097.JPG DSCN2098.JPG DSCN2101.JPG DSCN2102.JPG

Let me know if I need to take better pics from different angles. The image that looks like petrified wood is the bottom of the rock.

Thanks in advance! I'm curious to know what this is. :hello2:

NaturalMyztic

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to new thread

Hello All,
I'm new here. I just created an account just so I could get this rock identified. View attachment 1398498 View attachment 1398499 View attachment 1398500 View attachment 1398501 View attachment 1398502

Let me know if I need to take better pics from different angles. The image that looks like petrified wood is the bottom of the rock.

Thanks in advance! I'm curious to know what this is. :hello2:

I've moved this to a new thread. I doubted if anyone would have wanted to search through 108 pages!

JennaJen

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help identify type of rock

Hello,

Could you please help me identify the rock I found at the beach? 20170106_151510.jpg 20170106_151455.jpg

Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread