Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new here and wondering if any of these rocks have quartz in it ? I think the one in the middle is but I am not sure. I am not too sure what rocks are good indicators of where to pan for gold or which rocks to smash for it. I took these from numerous spots on the bend of a stream. Can you please tell me if any of these are good indicators ? Also one of the rocks has some black spots in it. Any idea what it may be ? Thank you !!

Quartz is one of the most common minerals on earth. There's a bit more to it then just looking for quartz. :)
Look for quart veins, lens-shaped quartz bodies for example. Rust is another good indicator to sample the rock, of which I can see at least 2 in your pictures.

Most of the rocks in your pics look quartz-related as in the form of chalcedony.. A low temperature variation of quartz.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went ahead and broke the rock in half. I am curious as to what the black parts are. There are also a lot of shiny glittery pieces in there. Some of the glittery pieces are in some of the black pieces. What can that be ?

They seem to be "haloes" around cavities. Sorta like a lining around the cavity.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I created a rock project with this rock, and would like to know what it is so I can include it with the gift. Thanks.
View attachment 1411640

Show me a chipped edge or something freshly exposed. Cut, sawed and polished rocks are near impossible to ID from a mere picture.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I put some in muratic acid and I could tell it contains sulfides ....

I'm not sure most sulphides react with muratic, but I suppose it depends on the concentration of the acid.
Usual "testing" for minerals is 10% Muratic and will not attack any sulphides I can think of.

GOLDENEYE

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2007
virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Help to identify these hot rocks.

Hello dustedyou I found these interesting rocks or nugetts here in spotsylvania co va They are a silvery to grey color and were hard hits on my detector.Its hard to picture them good with my phone camera i have included a nickel and penny for color comparison.can you help me identify them.Could they be meteorites or platinum.Thx

Attachments

• 20170207_125143.jpg
    20170207_125143.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170207_124850.jpg
    20170207_124850.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello dustedyou I found these interesting rocks or nugetts here in spotsylvania co va They are a silvery to grey color and were hard hits on my detector.Its hard to picture them good with my phone camera i have included a nickel and penny for color comparison.can you help me identify them.Could they be meteorites or platinum.Thx

Close to a fire place? Low or high conductive? I've seen similar things that were melted aluminum cans from campfires.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See attached picture of original uncut rock, approx. 3x4". View attachment 1412210

Well, it's a hydrothermally altered rock. I can't with certainty tell if it might be a metamorphic rhyolite, jasper or something similar.
It's one of the "see it in person" cases to make a qualified guess.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Is the first one really that yellow?
But, no I don't see any gold. I'd suggest you look for the gold, since it's your rock. Crush and pan some!
I'd love to see the rock-exposure where it came from. The host rock looks "granitoid" like, which makes it more likely to find silver there in my experience.

Look for rusty or discolored spots, fracture-zones, veins of any type and contact zones...
Anything out of the ordinary is sampled, take some time to get acquainted with the "normal" in the close-by area.
Learning the normal is simply a matter of hiking around and about and soaking in the "look"(/type) of rocks present, be observant.

millie99

Greenie
Jan 9, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the rock is that yellow. No photo enhancement. I don't know how i did it but i sent the wrong pictures. I have some specimens with visible gold content to be posted soon..

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

mksmith44

Feb 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's a hydrothermally altered rock. I can't with certainty tell if it might be a metamorphic rhyolite, jasper or something similar.
It's one of the "see it in person" cases to make a qualified guess.

I appreciate the info. Thanks.

cjrogers45

Feb 10, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A box of rocks

Hey guys if you have any rocks you want identified,, or are having a problem with the composition, Post it with questions, and a brief summary of where you got it..I'm down to help!

And I love to play Stump the Chump!:coffee2:
I have a few rocks I'd like identified...I li 20170210_095943.jpg 20170210_100549.jpg t 20170210_095147.jpg erally have a box of rocks I was given at a yard sale in Florida...not sure if the big rock is petrified wood or Jasper...

SDGold

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

cjrogers45

Feb 10, 2017
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170210_102655.jpg 20170210_104552.jpg i have several rocks I've had for years. I actually bought a box of rocks at a yard sale...I'm not sure if this is Jasper or Petrified Wood? 20170210_104548.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread