Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh! Green/blue lava rock? It does sort of have that feel. It's slightly magnetic, not porous though but other small pebbles are embedded in it on the outside. Kind of makes sense.

I'm no expert and I am also color blind so colors, particularly green, mean nothing to me...it just looks like lava to me. Maybe an expert will chime in. Check towards the bottom of this link about green sand. http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Volcano.types. Maybe what you have is rich in olivine but not in crystalline form.

Last edited:

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks EU - lol, I need to keep my feet on the ground till I figure it out - yes, going to have it tested - it's a totally unexplored area, so no history to rely on

Just in case, I did a video that might show the gold grains better, but can't upload here. I'm wondering if the grains might be pyrite, as some of them are a slightly darker color than the others - but it's literally throughout all the grey parts of the rock, like icing sugar

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries - I appreciate the time anyway, EU - heading out again for a couple of days, but will try again when I'm back

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks EU - lol, I need to keep my feet on the ground till I figure it out - yes, going to have it tested - it's a totally unexplored area, so no history to rely on

Just in case, I did a video that might show the gold grains better, but can't upload here. I'm wondering if the grains might be pyrite, as some of them are a slightly darker color than the others - but it's literally throughout all the grey parts of the rock, like icing sugar

If what you are seeing is still yellow in shaded light it probably is gold and if not, then it is not free milling gold and you can prove that by pulverizing and panning the fines.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I hear ya, I have the same problem on occasion. See arizau's comment, which can be helpful.

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the newbs....

....like myself. I know its just rock and crystal, but what kinds? Saw them while working at a construction site north texas. I mostly metal detect and i know there's little value in crystals, but I just can't walk by something cool like this....best surface find I had in a while.
20170331_212016.jpg 20170331_212016.jpg 20170331_212001.jpg 20170331_212001.jpg

Hope everyone hits paydirt.

Apr 2, 2017
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was in my garden. The previous owners of the house both worked for the forestry service here in Oregon. I think they used to bring home rocks they found. We have a ton of petrified wood and other random rocks that I know nothing about but this was the prettiest one I've found so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20170402_161753680_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170402_161753680_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 12925.jpeg
    12925.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 59

Wamgold

Greenie
Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If what you are seeing is still yellow in shaded light it probably is gold and if not, then it is not free milling gold and you can prove that by pulverizing and panning the fines.

Thanks Arizau - yes, they glow nicely even in shadow - hopefully know for sure soon

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
....like myself. I know its just rock and crystal, but what kinds? Saw them while working at a construction site north texas. I mostly metal detect and i know there's little value in crystals, but I just can't walk by something cool like this....best surface find I had in a while.
View attachment 1433917 View attachment 1433917 View attachment 1433918 View attachment 1433918

Hope everyone hits paydirt.

Possibly calcite or quartz in a sedimentary rock. I'd see if it reacts with vinegar - if yes, calcite.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was in my garden. The previous owners of the house both worked for the forestry service here in Oregon. I think they used to bring home rocks they found. We have a ton of petrified wood and other random rocks that I know nothing about but this was the prettiest one I've found so far.

My mind slips to cavansite, due to color. No idea what it might be. Doubt it's cavansite.
It's nice for sure, to nice to do any (destructive) tests on. Bring it to a rock club, university or similar for a proper ID is my suggestion.
Many rocks are best seen in person.

CrazyBasenjiLady

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2017
S TX
Primary Interest:
Other
Please identify?

Found this in a bucket of rocks at a flea market. Had a "local expert" look at it and he said it was valuable. He just wouldn't tell me what it was and wouldn't offer a value. Have a few other similar pieces in rougher form. If you need more photos, please email. Thanks! IMG_0176.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    540.3 KB · Views: 57

jaimieleeb

Apr 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROCK.JPG

I saw this rock the other day and I'm wondering what it is!
It was composed largely of coarse alkali felspars. It also had coarse crystals of quartz and what I think to be hornblende.
It had a fine grained dark matrix.

I almost want to call it some sort of syenite.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

K913

Apr 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7408.JPG

Super amateur but can you tell me what kind of rock is this? I found it in my backyard in Texas and is super smooth and rosey color. Never seen anything like it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this in a bucket of rocks at a flea market. Had a "local expert" look at it and he said it was valuable. He just wouldn't tell me what it was and wouldn't offer a value. Have a few other similar pieces in rougher form. If you need more photos, please email. Thanks! View attachment 1435495

Nice color! Do a hardness test - find a quartz and see if one will scratch the other. If you don't have quartz - use a knife.
Might be massive aquamarine, something related to quartz or something else I can't think it right now.
The second option is more likely.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1435531

I saw this rock the other day and I'm wondering what it is!
It was composed largely of coarse alkali felspars. It also had coarse crystals of quartz and what I think to be hornblende.
It had a fine grained dark matrix.

I almost want to call it some sort of syenite.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Use a knife to see if the black stuff isn't mica. Syenite, as a rule of thumb, has max 20% quartz. You can estimate it just by looking at it.:thumbsup:

From the image I'd say it certainly is bordering in between granitoid & syenite. A freshly exposed surface would help with the ID.

PS: I see a quartz crystal in the pic!

Jerry Goodall

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received these from my Uncle after he passed away> I don't know where he got them from. IMAG0190.jpg IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0193.jpg IMAG0195.jpg IMAG0196.jpg IMAG0197.jpg Sorry if I posted this wrong first time.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1-2 Uncertain.
#3 Malachite
#4 Chalcedony
#5 Jasper
#6 Jasper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions