Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Parzival

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2017
Devon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0981.JPG
Not sure what this is, found it on a beach.

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Found this chunk of quartz. don't know much about it, but want to learn it. is something like this worth anything? i'll keep it anyway.

IMG_1835[1].JPG IMG_1838[1].JPG IMG_1840[1].JPG

Apr 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170409_194934.jpg
20170409_195053.jpg

Curious as to what people think of this piece, worth noting it's not magnetic.

Last edited:

Glenn1b

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the small boulder in my back yard. Any idea what kind of rock it is? IMG_0825.JPG

Parzival

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2017
Devon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a hardness and streak test on the backside.
I have done a streak test and it comes out as a dark grey to black colour. I can just about score it with a Stanley blade but not a penny. It isn't magnetic, however on close expection there are some slight gold/ silvery bits shining through. Have tried cleaning with a toothbrush but little changed.
Really interested to see what this might be.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done a streak test and it comes out as a dark grey to black colour. I can just about score it with a Stanley blade but not a penny. It isn't magnetic, however on close expection there are some slight gold/ silvery bits shining through. Have tried cleaning with a toothbrush but little changed.
Really interested to see what this might be.

My best guess is botryoidal pyrolusite.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got the small boulder in my back yard. Any idea what kind of rock it is? View attachment 1437725

Appears to be a quartz-related rock. Perhaps sandstone, looks "grainy" to me but can't make out the details.
Check under magnification for "grains" of sand. The colors are due to impurities of iron. Very nice, colorful rock!

Apr 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2075[1].JPG IMG_2076[1].JPG IMG_2074[1].JPG

Hi there I am a new user to this forum!! My friend got me this rock from the Matterhorn Mountain up in Switzerland. If you guys could help me figure out what type of rock this is, that'd be great! Also, whatever type of rock it is, I wish to make it a necklace. Is it wise to tumble the rock or should I keep the jagged look of it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1438353 View attachment 1438355 View attachment 1438356

Hi there I am a new user to this forum!! My friend got me this rock from the Matterhorn Mountain up in Switzerland. If you guys could help me figure out what type of rock this is, that'd be great! Also, whatever type of rock it is, I wish to make it a necklace. Is it wise to tumble the rock or should I keep the jagged look of it.

Serpentine seems like a good candidate. What do you prefer? I mean, you're the one that's going to wear it!
I kinda like the rough jagged look. It certainly can be cut and polished, but I think a cabochon would be better then tumbling.

Parzival

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2017
Devon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was scratched with a penny? The off white/grey material..or the other stuff?
I'm thinking quartz on host rock. Kinda looks like a tooth to me! LOL

lol I guess it does look a little like a tooth in the picture. There is definelty a grey stone attached to it though. Sorry I wasn't clear enough the grey slab is a bit of porcelain I scratched the rock on. I can feel a definite bite in the rock when I scratch it with a penny.

rockhound82

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. This rock was found in southern California. It came out of a creek and had all kinds of crystals outside and in. My fiance thinks it may be topaz and quartz but I'm not sure as I am new to minerals, and rocks 0412171511d.jpg 0412171515e.jpg 0413170449.jpg 0413170501.jpg 0413170449b.jpg 0413170432a.jpg sorry that I can't give more info and all these pictures are from the same rock. Thank you in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread