Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, we're gonna keep you busy man! I'll go first!
Have a look at this one:
Galena Quartz And Unidentified Minerals - YouTube
DSCF7436.JPG

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
those look alot like the "Mohawk mine" southern ariz. good load for gold and silver, red iron smattered throughout the exterior of the quartz in a large vein the Copper would go to center and some of the lighter minerals would stick to the sides.. silver in black should be throughout much as the gold .. tiny.. as for the "motherload" in this type of rock your looking for about a 1.5 to 3.5 foot thick vein looking for the green and or red yellow of Sulphur running in between the quartz. nv0337wpMohawk28_large.jpg Also be on the lookout for this type in the center of your quartz silverbenitoite0008.jpg the Silver bentonite is rather common, but is one of the few that can be cut to reveal its absolutely gorgeous metal structure.

Over all! good spot to look... better get a monster crusher..the Metallic nodule on the front of the first rock looks to be silver, but I've seen this actually be a composite of titanium and magnesium,, would have to have it in hand to be definite on that. do you have any of these cracked down a fracture line in the Quartz?

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a close up of the ore above. What do you think of Spharelite? Possible? The areas I am in were known for gold, zinc, silver, iron and lead.
Spherelite.jpg

Also, this rock matches the 1st ore picture you posted from the Mohawk Mine. This was also found on our Yellow Bird claim. Very heavy, magnetic so Magnetite and what else?? Pyrite is visible on the other side, but not shown on this photo.
Turquoise.jpg

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
top one is Jasperiod, commonly has large loads of fine gold in it,, yours may have been reheated (IE sub crust and forced back up),, should also possibly have Calaverite calaverite.jpg , i have seen this formation alot ,, its AuTe2 and a bugger to seperate ..lol

the bottom one is a mixture of Chrysocolla, and lapped quartz with mineralization.. i would say that its really heavy due to the copper, magnesium, iron, silver, and titamium within the quartz.. in a scholars terms Copper Manto development immediately beneath the andradite garnet – epidote – carbonate – hematite skarn with green (chrysocolla) – cuprite – chalcocite (grey) and ochreous hematite – limonite developed in the oxide zone after copper sulfides.. lol but a good spot to look!
IE Dammmnnn.jpg

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
put some more of those juicy vien shots up if you got them, stay safe around the holes.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol Tramp I WILL! and Southern that is a Hematite shist with a little vein of quartz run thru a river.. it should have some small amounts of silver and maybe a lil gold.. primarily hematite and other heavy metals like copper, Garnets and other minerals. hematite_in_Schist.jpg . makes for an unusual rock tho.. I would go to the closest stream where you found that and look on the INside of each bend with a pan or metal detector. Where there are black sands there might be gold!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
possible Glacial deposit? glacial-landforms.jpg , Glaciers deposited huge amounts of gold onto the bedrock where they receded. the off side to this is also the largest deposit of Uranium was deposited this way too, Leading to Nevada Arizona and New Mexico, having high concentrations of many metals after "Snowball earth" about 1.8 billion years ago. More recently there have been good finds of Gold deposits in glacial bays in Alaska, and Prince Edward sound Canada.. Worth a look if you know where to look at the bedrock. IE the kettle lakes, or the streams or valleys that fed them.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And for Tramp Gold_ravine.jpg QuartzVeinMaterial.jpg May you find A "Gold Ravine"!

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice pictures Dusted. I am taking my Gold Bug out on my clubs claim tomorrow. I'll have a few new rocks to ID tomorrow. I hope there is some visible gold in them!

patfreak

Apr 20, 2013
hi good day!i found a rock i dont know what kind it is.can you please helpollptlme identify them..thanksvin advance
xafslmic

Attachments

• image-2719892583.jpg
    image-2719892583.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2,129
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pat from what i can see it looks like a Volcanic Ballista,, Basalt (ash or sandstone in the background?) Can you send me a closer picture of the center and upper right in Orange/red see it there? also is it on like rocks where you found it?

patfreak

Apr 20, 2013
Pat from what i can see it looks like a Volcanic Ballista,, Basalt (ash or sandstone in the background?) Can you send me a closer picture of the center and upper right in Orange/red see it there? also is it on like rocks where you found it?

thank you for your response dusted you,weird because theres no known volcano near here..but it do have a lots of these here.in big blocks.yes i found it in i see some quartz like inside the center of this rock.see attachments.

Attachments

• image-357361812.jpg
    image-357361812.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,848
  • image-3446374697.jpg
    image-3446374697.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,995

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some green rock, its solid, some with black spots. Copper based, but what could be here? 100_5012.JPG

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pat, I was looking at the first shot it seemed that there was powdered limestone or sandstone behind it .. It looks like you have a Granite (ballista or bubble from deep within the surface that was given plenty of time to cool off IE the quartz veins, and mineralization.) granite-quartz with mineralization.jpg the red and greens being Iron and Copper mineralization. It could also be carried on the surface by water or ice to an area its not from. the second picture you have is definitely granite, it has pockets of hot gas in it from when it formed. These typically form 22km under the surface and are thrust up via Volcanic activity , plate movement or earthquake, then cut back by erosion.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caska what you have is The kaolin sepentine group kaolinite, dickite, nacrite and halloysite, mixed with Serpentite group chrysotile, lizardite, berthierine

Talc pyrophyllite group Pyrophyllite, Infused with Mica group muscovite, paragonite, roscoelite, caladonite, illite, phengite, serecite, biotite, phlogopite

Smectite, And vermiculite group montmorillonite, beidellite, nontronite, saponite, stevensite, vermiculite Including Chlorite group chlorite, clinichlore, chamosite, nimite, pennantite.

To tell ;you what the composite minerals are in Laymens terms.. you have a high copper ore with a massive infusion of minerals Iron to Gold, Titanium Talc, and many others, With a Clay base. Clay makes it a nightmare to process. Hydrothermal alteration results from the interaction of hot waters with rocks to form clay minerals. This is not uncommon in epithermal deposits and results in clays persisting at unexpected depths. The phenomena of hard quartz rock with interspersed clay (5 to 15% clay) as a result of hydro-thermal fluids, is quite deceptive with regards to how it will process. It looks like a hard rock but the contained clay will cause processing problems such as poor settling and filtering.IE: The mineral processing problems are not unique to one mineral type. They cover gold, copper, uranium, lead zinc, iron ores and nickel projects. Clays have a major impact on various unit operations including thickening and filtration to such an extent that these unit operations cannot be used on some ores.

I get massive amounts of copper clay in my ores at times and it is a nightmare to process... but the yields have been impressive. Yes you are in a good area.. but i would double think the "get gold quick" thought... it will take alot to get it out see: Copper_And_Kaolin.jpg and check out High clay ores ? a mineral processing nightmare ? Australian Journal of Mining

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Caska what you have is The kaolin sepentine group kaolinite, dickite, nacrite and halloysite, mixed with Serpentite group chrysotile, lizardite, berthierine

Talc pyrophyllite group Pyrophyllite, Infused with Mica group muscovite, paragonite, roscoelite, caladonite, illite, phengite, serecite, biotite, phlogopite

Smectite, And vermiculite group montmorillonite, beidellite, nontronite, saponite, stevensite, vermiculite Including Chlorite group chlorite, clinichlore, chamosite, nimite, pennantite.

To tell ;you what the composite minerals are in Laymens terms.. you have a high copper ore with a massive infusion of minerals Iron to Gold, Titanium Talc, and many others, With a Clay base. Clay makes it a nightmare to process. Hydrothermal alteration results from the interaction of hot waters with rocks to form clay minerals. This is not uncommon in epithermal deposits and results in clays persisting at unexpected depths. The phenomena of hard quartz rock with interspersed clay (5 to 15% clay) as a result of hydro-thermal fluids, is quite deceptive with regards to how it will process. It looks like a hard rock but the contained clay will cause processing problems such as poor settling and filtering.IE: The mineral processing problems are not unique to one mineral type. They cover gold, copper, uranium, lead zinc, iron ores and nickel projects. Clays have a major impact on various unit operations including thickening and filtration to such an extent that these unit operations cannot be used on some ores.

I get massive amounts of copper clay in my ores at times and it is a nightmare to process... but the yields have been impressive. Yes you are in a good area.. but i would double think the "get gold quick" thought... it will take alot to get it out see: View attachment 782274 and check out High clay ores ? a mineral processing nightmare ? Australian Journal of Mining

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions