quartz?

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this in my backyard today we have a creek in our backyard i thought a first it was quartz but it seems to hard it scratches glass and is 19.5cts or could it be beryl? and help would be greatly appreciated IMAG1301.jpg IMAG1300.jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have sunstones there? Could be glass also. I wish I could help.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my guess, quartz (its hard) but a possibility of beryl does exist, and even in Arkansas Diamond... where do you live ?

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Georgia I will post better pics when I get home

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was in the yard again today and was searching in the same spot i found the small one and found this monster its huge and weighs around 5-6 pounds does quartz get that big? i found a bunch of small ones near it also IMAG1305.jpg IMAG1303.jpg IMAG1304.jpg

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or couldi t be white marble?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a lot of things. Quartz does indeed get that size and much larger. I've seen boulder size pegmatites in central Texas. That would be my guess though, quartz.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a lot of things. Quartz does indeed get that size and much larger. I've seen boulder size pegmatites in central Texas. That would be my guess though, quartz.
is it worth digging up though? i know theres more in the backyard i just wanted to find out what it was before i spent hours digging it up how much does quartz go for per pound btw?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In pure crystal form it has some value to the "crystal gazers", but is a common mineral and in homogenous form like your last picture of little value. It is the crystal form of silicon and the second most common mineral on the planet.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thank you for the info is there any other gems in my area that i should look out for? im in georgia we have a creek running though our backyard not sure if if thats where the quartz came from or what but theres alot of it

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was also used often by ancient man for tools though hard to work they enjoyed its beauty. In Ga? I would look for the gold bearing quartz in your area.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im getting alot of quartz with red veins in it is that a good sign? how do i tell what ones to keep and what ones to throw back?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff - my daughter-in-law is into the "crystal power" thing. Every year she is a vender at our local "pyschic fair". She bought some thirty pounds of rose quartz
several years ago from a dealer in Georgia, and continues to sell a couple pieces a year. You may have some "almost rose quartz" - if you find some pink
pieces that are completely saturated with color they are worth something on the "ooweeoo" market. If you can find the book titled "Love is in the Earth", it
will tell you a lot about rose quartz. Good Luck.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks for the info i will look out for the rose pink quartz ya the stuff i have now has like a pink tint i just started digging buty had to stay indoors today due to thunderstorms i will check out that book you told me about we have over a half acer and what i found was in a corner so i have the whole property to dig so who knows what i will find i am hopeing to get some of that gold bearing material like tnmountains was talking about but i will keep you guys undated on what i find i also found some of this strange rock near the quartz i found not sure what it is but i busted it open and the inside is sort of like black sandpaper i will post a photo of it also i am finding alot of volcanic rock

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
I have no experience in mining, but if you have a stream downhill from and near you property, you might just consider doing a little panning in it before you go through the trouble of digging up your property. If there is any gold bearing strata near there, some would've surely ended up in the creek over the eons. Someone who has some experience might chip in here, but it makes sense to me.

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes our creek is running downhill it also has 2 curves in it it runs pretty fast the way our property line is we own half of it and our neighbors own the other half i would go down today and do some panning but we need to clear out the brush to get to it becuase of snakes you dont want to run into a cottonmouth water moccasins or a southern copperhead so spent all day digging near the house really didnt find anything intresting but i took a better look at that big piece of quartz i found and relized there where silver specks all over it and relized that in the clay i found it in have silver specks all in the clay it was hard to notice before becuase its red clay but if youl ook closely you can see it could this be silver? i couldnt get a decent size piece to test it

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in the clay... probably schist (mica) micashist with quartz.jpg

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
yes our creek is running downhill it also has 2 curves in it it runs pretty fast the way our property line is we own half of it and our neighbors own the other half i would go down today and do some panning but we need to clear out the brush to get to it becuase of snakes you dont want to run into a cottonmouth water moccasins or a southern copperhead so spent all day digging near the house really didnt find anything intresting but i took a better look at that big piece of quartz i found and relized there where silver specks all over it and relized that in the clay i found it in have silver specks all in the clay it was hard to notice before becuase its red clay but if youl ook closely you can see it could this be silver? i couldnt get a decent size piece to test it
could be but I would bet on something else such as mica, can you easily crush the flecks if so how do they crush smush, denigrate etc...
More photos please:hello2:

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya i think its mica but i really couldnt get out today to take photos of it but when it clears up outside i will be sure to post photos of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread