0916131438a (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rush

Aug 24, 2009
I dont know haven't weighed it but is pretty heavy as it took for ever to get it to move in the pan ya know in the swirling.

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont know haven't weighed it but is pretty heavy as it took for ever to get it to move in the pan ya know in the swirling.
If it real heavy, and it's not magnetic, and it's shiny gold color, might be worth your time.

OP
OP
R

rush

Aug 24, 2009
Ok the vile/bottle i have weigh's .7grams empty . Full of water is 1.7oz.
And half full of dust is 3.2oz what do you think? Plus it's like flower so fine very hard to clean
any sugestions? I will try to get some more pics up..
another question is What is heaver than gold? PLT? White gold?
I thank you for you help !
Does not stick to a magnet.
Will pyrite stick?

Last edited:

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron Pyrite will stick to a Rare Earth magnet, Other Pyrites will not.. best test to Pyrite is to pour HCL Acid (Muriatic Acid at home depot 2 gallons 12$) if it reacts it will eat all the sulfide/Pyrite leaving just gold and silver in the bottom. Be shure to do this outside and to do it with Every precaution taken as if you didnt want to burn your lungs out.

OP
OP
R

rush

Aug 24, 2009
here are some more pics to look at for the hell of it.

Attachments

• gld 006 (Small).JPG
    gld 006 (Small).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 158
  • gld 009 (Small).JPG
    gld 009 (Small).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 157
  • gld 012 (Small).JPG
    gld 012 (Small).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 148
  • gld 015 (Small).JPG
    gld 015 (Small).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 158

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the vile/bottle i have weigh's .7grams empty . Full of water is 1.7oz.
And half full of dust is 3.2oz what do you think? Plus it's like flower so fine very hard to clean
any sugestions? I will try to get some more pics up..
another question is What is heaver than gold? PLT? White gold?
I thank you for you help !
Does not stick to a magnet.
Will pyrite stick?

I think there are like 15 elements that are heavier than gold. Most of them are transuranic (Atomic weight heavier than 92) elements.
Osmium is someing in the order of 15% heavier than gold. Then Iridium, then Platinum etc.

Uranium I think would be the heavies thing you can find naturally. Might want to wash your hands when you are done and keep your fingers out of your eyes and mouth :) Nice Find though, looks promising

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just going by fuzzy pics in direct point sunshine.... ( I'm no great photographer either ).... rocks
look like a pyrite/mica schist .Maybe a little decomposed garnet in with it .
Here is a pic of some pyrite/mica schist with decomposed garnet that I run up on sometimes .
Photo not taken in direct sunshine though .

The pics of the vials look like granular pyrite or crushed arsenopyrite .

Granular Pyrite from Alabama :

Arsenopyrite from Alabama :

OP
OP
R

rush

Aug 24, 2009
The rocks were very hard to crush has sulfur in it to, it even sparks like flint when you strike it.
Thank you for all of your reply's ! I'm still working on it . I also read somewhere that Bleach
will desolve gold right befor your eyes hmm is this true? Myself I dont think it will because I use it
all the time and it don't eat the ring off my finger.

Last edited:

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
Hey Rush:

I understand your confusion in trying to identify the mineral samples with some of the erroneous and pseudoscience/chemistry answers you are getting.

Someone must have sleep through their high school/college chemistry classes, because neither the atomic number nor the relative atomic mass of an element has anything to do with density. Density (often referred as specific gravity), is the ratio of a substance (solid or liquid) when compared to water (distilled and chilled to 4 degrees Celsius). A gases density is measure against air.0

FYI, on the Periodic Tables there are only 3 precious metal elements (Pt, Ir, Os) heavier than gold, and one base metal (W) equal to gold's density. There are 3 other elements heavier than gold, but they are somewhat radioactive, so we will ignore on them. (CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics).

Also, gold is not soluble in store bought bleach (sodium hypochlorite). That bleach contains sodium hydroxide (at about pH 10), which locks up the chlorine. It's not until you dilute the bleach with water that the chlorine is released, but in the molecular form. Gold is NOT soluble in molecular chlorine, it's soluble in nascent chlorine. Another missed chemistry class. The plain bleach may have dissolved something, but it wasn't gold. Now, if you add an acid to that bleach, that's a different story. Check out MINTEK's iGoli leach process.

The good news is, I think your heavy mineral has been identified. From your photos, Dave suggested chalcopyrite and that's a very good possibility. But, I'm going with TAKODA and call it arsenopyrites. One of your vials has a darker gray color like galena, but I think that was caused by oxidation or funny photos angle.

More good news, you can perform a couple simple field tests to get your answer. With a mineral loupe or a microscope, look at the mineral's crystal structure. Arsenopyrite is monoclinic (orthorhombic) with heavy striation, chalcopyrite is tetrahedral with some striation and galena is isometric cubed faced.

If still confused, in a well ventilated area (Safety First), gently apply torch heat to a small sample until a dull red. Galena will produce lead (Pb) balls, chalcopyrite will look copper color, and arsenopyrite will greatly reduce in volume and become magnetic. Some people can smell a garlic odor during this process on arsenopyrite, but be careful as you will be snorting arsenic, sulfur and maybe even mercury.

Did I already mention a well ventilated area? SAFETY FIRST. Try a couple simple tests and than you can tell us what mineral you have.

Good luck, :icon_thumleft:

John

OP
OP
R

rush

Aug 24, 2009
So this stuff is not flat or cubed under a microscope but it's ripplly looking . Maybe I should throw it away?
I dont know what i'm doing or what to do with it . It was fun to pan the stuff, lol you ever tried to pan super fine cons?
But Safety is not in my vocabulary so using acid or a torch could be unsafe for me an others.
I am was doing this for fun ! Not to get rich.
Money is evil IMO------

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread