Whats in this?

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was out exploring the other day down at the river and found a quartz vein that has some really flakey black/purple/orange stuff in it. The ground around there was making my PI detector go nuts too. There was some red and orange powdery looking stuff below where the vein was too like when it rains it turns into a liquid and runs down the hill. Whatever it is.. I took a chunk out of the vein and smashed it in two on some bedrock. Here's how it looks inside.. Ive never found quartz like that before. Would sample it but the location isn't exactly the kind of place you'd want to haul rocks out of... Maybe if I can break some off. image-1950265597.jpg

If the black stuff could be manganese I found gold with manganese all over it right around there. Not sure what manganese looks like when it's not on gold or where it comes from. Is it in quartz too?

Last edited:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooh your on the right track for some gold somewhere. Thats got dark color in there With the quartz. Iron oxides, manganese and I want to say close to calico pyrite. Throw it in the fire and see if it smells like sulfur.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooh your on the right track for some gold somewhere. Thats got dark color in there With the quartz. Iron oxides, manganese and I want to say close to calico pyrite. Throw it in the fire and see if it smells like sulfur.
Couldn't be anything explosive in something like that could there? Would putting a lighter up to it work?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread