Strange Rock????

sixshooter

Greenie
Feb 27, 2007
Ridgecres, Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Eagle and Minelab GP 3000
Maybe someone can help me identify this rock I found. I was detecting in the Southern Ca high desert near Randsburg. It gave me a super hard signal. I thought maybe a "hotrock", but it is NOT magnetic! I ground a portion of it off and it is silver/black metallic looking (shiny spot in the picture). Could it be Silver?? Nickle?? Platinum?? Meteorite?? Please help.
Thanks

Attachments

• LEVERITE.JPG
    LEVERITE.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,151

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a rock similar to that in Arizona while gold hunting near payson 4 years ago.Looks like magnetite to me. If it has any reddish spots in the rock , It is definite magnetite/hematite, an iron ore. A rock shop might still give you some bucks for it so don't throw it out. It doesn't look right for a meteorite.
-tom

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tvanwho said:
I found a rock similar to that in Arizona while gold hunting near payson 4 years ago.Looks like magnetite to me.
-tom

Magnetite is magnetic, and he said it isn't magnetic.

AuExplorer

Oct 28, 2007
Currently Spanish Trail Utah
Detector(s) used
V-sat & Falcon Gold Probe
SPHALERIT (Zn, Fe)S, Zinc Iron Sulfide and when the iron is not present, makes some really cool crystals.
In a nut shell, High grade zinc ore.... I would look for the Limonite deposit that spit it out, Normally the strata will go oxidized limonite(micron gold)/sphalerit cap and decent gold at the bottom of the cap at the sheer zone.

This is going by the pic, Silver is a possible contender as well as some Pyrites.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
It sure looks "volcanic" in orgin!
AND!
HAY!
It could be a Type of Meteorite ::)
You know, the kind blown out of a volcano,
A!
Volcanic Bomb? :o
Any volcanos in the general area (w/in 10-20 miles?)

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
Sphalerite(?) has a red/ reddish yellow streak and also, when struck, has a sulfur odor. If it is soft, it could be molybdenum or it could be psilominane(?)

Brian93436

Jan 26, 2008
Lompoc
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't you simply measure the specific gravity of the "rock" and find out what it is?

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Try manganese. A water fused lump of minerals in nodes found in deserts and often confused with meteorites.

Aufinder01

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
if you cannot figure it out, send it to me i could take it to work and have one of the guys shoot it with a analizer, we got it for checking weld compositions, a had a piece that had me stumped, that he tested and it was 98% zinc, which had a grey and white exterior, and shined up nice, as your piece does

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I think it looks like Biotite that is a common phyllosilicate mineral within the mica group.......

it is an indicator rock when looking for gold....

db

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Did you ever find out what your rock was? Try a scratch test. If it scratches red its probably hematite. Jimmygoat

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AuExplorer said:
SPHALERIT (Zn, Fe)S, Zinc Iron Sulfide and when the iron is not present, makes some really cool crystals.
In a nut shell, High grade zinc ore.... I would look for the Limonite deposit that spit it out, Normally the strata will go oxidized limonite(micron gold)/sphalerit cap and decent gold at the bottom of the cap at the sheer zone.

This is going by the pic, Silver is a possible contender as well as some Pyrites.
Agree! :icon_thumleft:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
DanB said:
I think it looks like Biotite that is a common phyllosilicate mineral within the mica group.......

db

Anyone else have more info on this statement? I know where there is a good bit of Biotite and quartz not far from my house, but I sure haven't found any gold there, yet anyway.

As to the rock, pictured; I am sorry I don't know enough about it to offer any feedback.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Astrobouncer said:
DanB said:

db

Anyone else have more info on this statement? I know where there is a good bit of Biotite and quartz not far from my house, but I sure haven't found any gold there, yet anyway.

As to the rock, pictured; I am sorry I don't know enough about it to offer any feedback.

Nah, Biotite has nothing to do with gold..
Except it's very common and as such could be found with gold...
Most/all Granite consist partly of Biotite..
But Biotite doesn't have a metallic surface, hence this is not Biotite!

Hematite is a possibility.. Makes a reddish streak against a unglazed piece of porcelain. :)

6.5winmag

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2008
like aufinder said it does favor manganese,manganese sometimes coats gold nuggets
in s.calif from blythe to the chocolate mtns and near the colorado river.try a super magnet on it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sixshooter,
I have friends at the Kennedy Space Center that can give you the definitive proof of type. They do that stuff for a living. When I worked there, I took a friend's "meteaorite" in only to find it was a very pure piece of chrome slag! Life went on that day with no further "fools witw there rocks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread