tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my 8 hour annual msha refresher yesterday at the Colorado School of Mines - Edger mine in Idaho Springs. Took a couple pictures as we walked about the mine that's set up for education and is now a training facility for mine rescue teams. It has been for a long time a place where manufactures of mining equipment have donated things. The place is full of old mining relics underground. I got a kick out of this very detailed model of what they thought over 100 years ago would be the latest & greatest in technology. It's a steam powered rail mount rock drill. Notice the thing didn't have any hoses, but jointed articulating steam pipes. "What a concept" just need to work out the bugs on the venting the CO gasses and prey the boiler hold pressure...Thank God they came up with hoses and air compressors for pneumatic rock drills. The fella who is an instructor at the mine keeps allot of the old equipment in working condition. I got a sense that miners and mining engineers of the past were a bit like mad scientist.

Attachments

• edgar 1.jpg
    edgar 1.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 134
  • edgar 2.jpg
    edgar 2.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 108
  • steam jumbo.jpg
    steam jumbo.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 130

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread