elkoff

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody I was just wondering if their is a way to crush ore with something homemade cause the rock crushers on the market seem a wee bit expensive? I am thinking about a 50 mesh crush size or maybe smaller. I have know clue with ore crushing, and if somebody has any ideas to share, that would be awesome. Also if somebody has any plans for a mechanical rock crusher, would be sweet... Thanks :BangHead:

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may like one of these easy to make rock crushers..........
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/188969-portable-rock-crusher.html#post1980956

Here is my 3" and my 4" made from scrap exhaust tubing and 1/4" steel plate..........
crushers.jpg crushers2.jpg
For the ramrod Harbor Freight sells a nice 17 Lb. Posthole Digging Bar with Tamper that would work great.

Go for the Gold,
GG~

Last edited:

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about one that's a little quieter..My neighbors are complaining.. ;)

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I made several of these rock crusher like GG has posted and ive made one that is made from a 8 inch diameter steel pipe and has a 3/4 steel rod going through it and has hardened steel chains attached to it and is driven with a 1/3 hp electric motor the pully ratio is 2:1. I could add 3 inch material to it and it would powder the rocks. yep its loud! and I wouldn't recommend using it in a apartment complex!:tongue3:

Hardrocker

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a jaw crusher on eBay for around $250 a couple of years ago. You can go pretty fine with that. It crushes a good percentage of the rock to powder, but you would need to screen it to get out larger uncrushed pieces. You also need at least a 3/4 horse electric motor to run it.

Buck Blades

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
Hammer, Chisel, Pan, Classifier, in that order.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might try one of these.
Chisel.jpg
They work with your air hammer and they work not bad. From a place called Back Yard Prospector (I think). $95 though.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about one that's a little quieter..My neighbors are complaining.. ;)

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Crushing rocks and quiet don't really go together.

Budget? How many rocks and how fast you want to crush them? The tube style crusher combined with a hydrolic press I'd imagine would be about as quiet and cheap as it gets. Hand pumping the press could be a little tiring in the end. If a little more noise is acceptable they sell pneumatic presses but would require a air compressor also.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Crushing rocks and quiet don't really go together.

Budget? How many rocks and how fast you want to crush them? The tube style crusher combined with a hydrolic press I'd imagine would be about as quiet and cheap as it gets. Hand pumping the press could be a little tiring in the end. If a little more noise is acceptable they sell pneumatic presses but would require a air compressor also.

You could also use a hydraulic power pack. It runs on electric (12V or 120V, depending on model) so is not as loud as an air compressor. That said, why not also consider adding a sound-dampening enclosure to your crusher? There are some very good sound dampening materials out there, but one of the least expensive and probably the most common is ordinary fiberglass insulation. You can encase the insulation in heavy (6 mil or better) plastic to prevent exposure to the fibers.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my jaw crusher is very quiet. it has a 1/2 hp electric motor and an opening of 5 by 8 inches Its the ball mill that is the noise maker. 110 db at 4 ft

911Met

Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which of the 2 larger crushers would you want in kit?

911Met

Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks for the input. I'll start with a small jaw rock crusher kit for the 2 x 3. Stay tuned...

The 3 x 4 needs some lathe work... I need to work this out as not every has one of those.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK thanks for the input. I'll start with a small jaw rock crusher kit for the 2 x 3. Stay tuned...

The 3 x 4 needs some lathe work... I need to work this out as not every has one of those.

What needs the lathe work? The eccentric? What about offset drilling the large journal and pressing the shaft through? You could stick the shaft in the freezer overnight to shrink it enough that it should slide through the large journal. You only need a .0005 interference fit to make the journal solid on the shaft. It will not move.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread