Platinum and ore of questionable content

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a panner life is simple. I am reading up on rocks but nowhere close to an expert.Very rich rocks but rich in what? Many similarities to North America and Scotland.Maybe you can help me out. Plenty of sulphides like Galena,pyrite,and some micro gold. Tellurides probably just wishful thinking. Any chemical suggestions for diagnosis would be great. Thus far only acetic acid and ultrasound to promote rust to see what is left.
Thanks.

Attachments

• nugget 002.jpg
    nugget 002.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 143

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to identifying rocks, a good scale and knowing how to do a specific gravity test are good things to have. Specific gravity is very useful. Platinum is a VERY heavy substance.
Jim

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to identifying rocks, a good scale and knowing how to do a specific gravity test are good things to have. Specific gravity is very useful. Platinum is a VERY heavy substance.
Jim

Cheers Jim,

I would rather find gold but it is interesting as a little pendant.Maybe highlighted with a bit of gold.I am struggling with identification of mixed ores. If I managed to turn all of the metal into oxides,how would I go about identifying them? Precipitation followed by melting?
Thanks for the help.I am new to this hobby.

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Jim. The gold here is rarely visible in the rock. I have yet to find a really good specimen but I enjoy looking.
A test kit would be very handy so I don't carry all rocks back.
Thanks again.
Great link.Very cool indeed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to a pretty good field test kit to find out if you have gold in your ore.
http://www.thegoldhunter.net/page6.html

Very cool kit.Thanks Jim.Testing water for micro gold to be filtered sounds groovy.I wonder if a couple of disused carbon filters stuck under a rock over winter is an experiment worth doing.Can't be that simple surely but it is a free experiment.
Nice info.I am here to learn so thankyou for your time.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
The carbon filters under a rock brings back memories of the old tale of Jason and the golden fleece.They used sheepskins in the river and the lanolin in the fleece would catch the very fine float gold.

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carbon filters under a rock brings back memories of the old tale of Jason and the golden fleece.They used sheepskins in the river and the lanolin in the fleece would catch the very fine float gold.

Hi Dave,
We have a place here called moss grain.After they killed all of the moss,they also used sheep wool. The filters are big and heavy.Hydro smell management types loaded with activated charcoal.Can't be so easy but they are surplus to requirements so may as well carry them into the hills for a laugh.
I met a wiseman named Dave.Rock on

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheepskins are hard to come by.I hope charcoal does something useful.Any micro filtering wisdom gladly received.
My problem right now is that charcoal wants to float.The water will just make it wriggle out of the holes and float off over time with the forces on it.Some bentonite charcoal mix perhaps in a slower flowing hole that I dug out this year.Cheap experiments always. I also think the golden fleece is real.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A pure platinum will also "behave" denser then gold in the pan. It'll feel heavier. At least from my experience.

btb1606

Dec 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in dirt inside a very old barn yesterday. metal detector found it with trash filter settings as high as they would go, Sounded off identical to gold, silver. Louder though and more prominent. A magnet will not stick to it , So Im stumped, Clearly a metallic object throughout besides what has accumulated over years on the exterior. where the silver colored metallic comes though there is no corrosion at all. which to me was a sign of precious metal, Please PLease Please help
WP_20141206_007.jpg WP_20141206_010.jpg WP_20141206_025.jpg

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mate,

The rock looks very interesting. I would be hesitant to say it is precious just because hot rocks are weird and I have had my share of rocks that defy any explanation within my expertise. I would get a test kit as per Jim from Idahos suggestion a few paragraphs up.I hope it is something groovy for you.It is certainly very interesting looks wise.Sorry I didn't respond sooner.The world annoys me occasionally and I retract into solitude.Please keep me posted though.Interesting.Good digging to you mon ami.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread