in process, making a small rock crusher, I hope it works.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to play, I've been meaning to get to this for a few months..

The other week, stumbled across some nice pipe, about 2 foot of 8 inch 5/16 wall, and a foot of 16" pipe for $30 total. PERFECT.

Today I decided to start making myself a little rock crusher, along the lines of the cobra crusher, but a little different. Small size, angle grinder, dump the
ground up stuff out the inlet. A bigger one will be coming down the road eventually made out of that 16 inch pipe, but for now, something simple.

I think I'm all machined except for the shaft. I've got my tube with my cut out, input (and in this case output also) chute. Solid plate for the fixed side
with the angle grinder. Holy plate to hold the outboard bearing. Removable plate to get in there. And my bearing blocks. I just need to get to welding
in the morning and turn up and mill a shaft. She isn't going to be pretty, just using what I have kicking around.

I hope this is of some interest. Figure I would document it. No plans, just making it up as I go.

Here is what I have so far. Not deburred, so its a bit ugly.

15866531530_8e7e81f90b_c.jpg

OP
OP
bobw53

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half assed, low budget mini rock crusher is now "functional"

No need to pick on my welding. I'm good enough to stick 2 pieces of metal together. It gets better with practice, but
except for the occasional tack here and there, I haven't done much welding for years.

16057643971_354dc1697f_c.jpg

15452121173_a13f8b4c64_c.jpg

15441383353_95a61bf28e_c.jpg

15874995039_88ebf66720_c.jpg

First thing I learned, the cheap Harbor Freight angle grinders that we have a ton of are only 4.5 amps. I let the
smoke out of it... So a decent angle grinder needs to be obtained, seems they suggest 8-10 amps.

I was extremely cautious on my chain length, I'm a little bigger than 3/16" from the outside edge. If you see how
I staggered the chains on the shaft, you can see how I can flip them and that should give me about .020 of clearance.

I'm not sure what the clearance should actually be, I'm guessing that you don't want the chains to drag on the outside.

Right now it stops crunching rocks and I still end up with a bunch of pea size rocks. An angle grinder that can
actually get up to speed might help that out.

I'm leaking out the cover quite a bit also. Probably got some welding slag in there.

I'll get back to it after the holiday, but I'm pretty happy that I actually got something accomplished and was able to smash some rocks.

I'll get back to it after the holiday.

Plbnyn

Nov 23, 2014
East of Chico ca
Detector(s) used
Sight and good looks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea for the chain attachment seems more user freindly than weldling the chain to the shaft or to a plate. when I get to playing (design and layout, have to barter for welding) i think i will steal your idea for attachment. Real nice for a first.
Keep posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread