MINERAL ID HELP TELLURIDES?

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I am hoping some of you seasoned miners can help a guy who is learning as I go. This one is definitely stumping me. Found this while out prospecting this past week, It caught my eye because of all the red staining. It's heavy, and I think the host rock is some type of Diorite with Quartz (almost brecciated looking) and possibly what looks like some granite in the vein intruding the host rock. My first thought was Pegmatite, but I have found a lot of that at times before, and this stuff seems a lot harder cemented, more rough grained, and a lot more dense to me. When I busted this open with my 4 lb lump hammer, it took two good whacks, and the sulfur smell was a lot stronger than usual. There is a lot of Pyrite on the outside host rock and some inside along with this vein of shiny silver stuff (almost black looking) with a glassy-metallic luster that runs all through the rock. Through a loupe I can see Pyrite, possibly what looks like some Arsenopyrite, and other minerals (possibly Krennerite, Nyagyite??). I know what Galena looks like because I find lots of it around here, so I know it's not that. Same goes for Tourmaline, Stibnite, and Chalcopyrite. But I'm not sure, maybe someone can possibly tell from the photos? Thanks for your time, Jay

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I am hoping some of you seasoned miners can help a guy who is learning as I go. This one is definitely stumping me. Found this while out prospecting this past week, It caught my eye because of all the red staining. It's heavy, and I think the host rock is some type of Diorite with Quartz (almost brecciated looking) and possibly what looks like some granite in the vein intruding the host rock. My first thought was Pegmatite, but I have found a lot of that at times before, and this stuff seems a lot harder cemented, more rough grained, and a lot more dense to me. When I busted this open with my 4 lb lump hammer, it took two good whacks, and the sulfur smell was a lot stronger than usual. There is a lot of Pyrite on the outside host rock and some inside along with this vein of shiny silver stuff (almost black looking) with a glassy-metallic luster that runs all through the rock. Through a loupe I can see Pyrite, possibly what looks like some Arsenopyrite, and other minerals (possibly Krennerite, Nyagyite??). I know what Galena looks like because I find lots of it around here, so I know it's not that. Same goes for Tourmaline, Stibnite, and Chalcopyrite. But I'm not sure, maybe someone can possibly tell from the photos? Thanks for your time, Jay

View attachment 1108819

How uncanny! I am working on some similar sample rocks containing what I believe to be Nagyagite on a prospect I own. I would get that assayed as it looks to be a runner with the rich black portions in that sample. Where did you find this sample in general area of the world? That sample is likely a chlorite schist matrix with that was near a point of contact with an intrusive body and/or strong hydro-thermal alteration. I can see that quartz stringers are injected into this rock and there are signs of potassium feldspar with that quartz. This is shown at the left side of this picture View attachment 1108816 Some of the staining on the reverse side reminds me of the iron carbonate decay stains I see from the altered rock at my prospect. I have noticed that the Nagyagite that I am finding will stain slightly brownish and have a metallic luster. Fresh pieces seem to be very deep black and have a nice luster.

If you want any more details feel free to PM me. Good luck and I hope that runs for ya! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions