OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife told me if I bring home anymore rocks she is going to divorce me ;)
I went out today to do some scouting and I told her I was just going to walk and not bring home anything. Well I came home with pockets full of quartz and iron slag. There was a ton of clear quartz and my ADD got the best of me. I sure didnt make my destination because of all the shiny areas.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard Prospector, sounds like you are talking Mad Dog 20/20. Not me. LOL. Just kidding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I am definitely figuring that out quick. I just have an issue with anything shiny I grab so I end up in one spot for hours.
So, I looked over the plots in our area and noticed the main channel behind our house is HOA property. Although I have just been surface picking behind the house I am curious to the laws. It is listed as common area and the bylaws dont state mineral rights etc. Now I dont plan on going hardcore but I also dont want a ton of people out there tearing the land up.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do they own the land? If so you can't do anything without their permission.

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not 100% sure. I was going to inquire about them selling a few acres since it cant be accessed or developed. I want to build a fence and that is my main reason but a good portion runs through our property.
I just dont want the land torn up. The empty lots in front of our house has turned into a dirt track for the motocross kids. It cant hurt to ask and it could help increase my property value with the added acres.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here,

Watch this. All you need!

Mike

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gold or not it seems you are in a fairly mineralized area given the description of the vein. Knowing how the gold is supposed to occur in your area can help you save some time looking for indicators that dont have any relevance to gold in your area. I'd still do some searchin for more veins.

Easy but not foolproof way to tell difference between mica/pyrite and gold is observe their color in direct sunlight, and then shade. Mica/pyrite will take on a duller/silverish appearance where as gold looks basically the same... its just not shining as bright. If you have any old computer parts laying around with the plated connectors... thats 24k pure gold, handy if you have no gold readily available to you right now to see for yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally borrowed a falcon md 20 and to say the thing is nice. Hit a spot last night that the thing went crazy over. It was about 15 feet from the creek near a patch of trees. I adjusted the unit just to be on the safe side but solid hit going toward and strong when actually on the rock and soil. I tested it on some gold I have to listen for the tones and it was the same for both. I even adjusted the ring and sensitivity and it was still solid.
I haven't panned the dirt yet but the rocks are very weird looking. Some look as if they have veins running through them. I have one that is hand size and copper colored. The strongest tone is on the top where it looks black. I get a heavy tone going towards it at about an inch away and then solid once the probe is on it. I have about 15 items that do the same. Again, I tried several different configurations with the falcon and all the same.

One question though: I sometimes get a double ping like a boing boing when pulling up. Can this be a sign of good material by black sand etc?
Thanks guys. I love the falcon as I use it to help since my back and neck are jacked up so it helps a lot. Keeps me from panning junk areas.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This NCpedia list is not all inclusive, I've personally found rubies and sapphires along with other gem stones and minerals in locations not mentioned there.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This NCpedia list is not all inclusive, I've personally found rubies and sapphires along with other gem stones and minerals in locations not mentioned there.
Yup, there's always the odd gemstone here and there but not enough to become mineable, is what I am saying. Plus I don't see gold in the sample. There may be some or some mixture but it wasn't enough or pure enough to be mineable.

S

stefen

FYI

If you are part of a HOA, then you own 1/40th or whatever percentage of the common area.

Your neighbors own the other 39/40ths.

Please read the Association By-Laws and the CC&R's and you will find that what HOA owns is most likely 'Paper Space' overlain onto the real estate.

You can collect pebbles but not rocks or boulders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread