P1010254.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 166

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a homebuilt unit that someone did an excellent job on. Never seen one with an intermediate shaft like that. My guess would be that the intermediate shaft is to get the RPM's down far enough to increase the torque enough to crush the rock since there is no flywheel on it.

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It could be but I don't believe it's a homebuilt My partner says from what he knows it's 80-100 years old. I'll post some other pictures to help.

Attachments

• crusher 1.jpg
    crusher 1.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 147
  • crusher.jpg
    crusher.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's one more. She works great, but would be interesting to see how it was originally set up.

Attachments

• P1010256.jpg
    P1010256.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 132

JYOU18

Greenie
Feb 8, 2015
Utah
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never seen one exactly like this but I would not mind having it. not one bit.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, I'm gonna stick with a rather well executed homebuilt one. The frame looks like C channel and the bearings on the intermediate shaft are definitely pillow blocks.

The center section of it looks like it was cast and could quite possibly be what was left of an original jaw crusher that was rebuilt with newer stuff to make it work. The sheaves are the giveaway though. Normally one is machined for v belts and the other is just a heavy flywheel to maintain momentum to crush harder rock. Like I said, well executed. As long as it crushes rock, it's all good and it doesn't matter who made it.

If the jaw plates get worn, just reface with some hard facing rod. Hardfacing Products | Lincoln Electric

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I see what your saying now. And it makes sense, looking closer I believe the horizontal channel and pillow blocks were not original and added much later. Hardfacing - was just redone last week. Thats what I'm trying to figure out was if both large sheaves were driven as they are identical or if someone was thinking of spare parts and field fixes by using the same sheave on both sides - one as a flywheel and interchangeble drive sheave at the same time. Would like to restore it to original. If it turns out to be a well built homebuilt then we may paint it up like a Pac-man or Alligator- the jury (grandkids) has yet to render their decision. Thanks for your input.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to help.

The sheaves could have been either a interchangeable field fix or just using what was laying around. I'd love to see how it runs without the heavy flywheel on one side. It looks like it might be small enough and geared down enough so hat 9 horse Honda may just blow right through the small stuff.

Gives me some ideas that could end badly.:laughing7:

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I'm able to get out to the claim we'll do a video of it in action. It does pretty good, chomps up a 5 gal. bucket of quartz in no time! Anxious to see how the new hardfacing effects it.

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'll be doggoned

When I'm able to get out to the claim we'll do a video of it in action. It does pretty good, chomps up a 5 gal. bucket of quartz in no time! Anxious to see how the new hardfacing effects it.

I was perusing old crushers myself and going thru old images, then,.. and then,,,, and lookee here what I founded, . It is still awaitin a trailer ,, :hello2: Welcome back

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was perusing old crushers myself and going thru old images, then,.. and then,,,, and lookee here what I founded, . It is still awaitin a trailer ,, :hello2: Welcome back

Ha Ha took ya long enough to find me! And thank you was quick but good. We need to go on a road trip with the crusher saw some very pretty country. Brivic1 is aforementioned partner and rightful owner of the beast!

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Word is the snow is gone, so were headin up and gonna try and get in Monday or Tuesday, plan on bringing back a couple loads of rock, so we'll do a video when we get back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread