Stamp vs Jaw Crusher

dchoff35

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2013
Rapid City, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just recently purchased a Keene RC1 from a friend and had a thought of making a stamp mill or a jaw crusher to put in line with it. I know the RC1 is more of a prospecting tool but i think with good maintenance it could run low amounts for extended periods of time. So the question is, would it make more sense to build a simple stamp mill or just go for a jaw crusher? I figure a stamp mill is gonna be slower than a jaw crusher but then the RC1 cant handle much at a time anyway. Cons and Pros of either. thanks

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about your post for a few days.. I've got a small impact mill that can't take much more than an inch also.

Hmmm.. A jaw crusher or a stamp mill to get to 1" to run in your small impact mill... Jaw crushers are expensive, and not the
easiest thing to make, there is one on E-bay, hand powered for a little over $500... A stamp mill, that's some old school stuff, though
my first rock crusher was effectively a single stamp. A plate a tube and a rod.

I think by the time you get something set up to bring your rocks down to an inch you're going to be kind of deep into it, and still limited
by the small impact mill...

Sitting there with a hammer bringing your rocks down to an inch sucks.. Its no fun.. My personal solution, I'm just going to build a bigger impact mill.

I will admit I've thought quite a bit on the stamp mill. I love looking at the old ones from back in the day when you had to ride your mule to work.
Build a small one out of old timbers, and if it doesn't work very well, it will at least be a nice conversation piece.

Speaking of old school, and conversation pieces, I want to build an arastra (is that how you spell it?), a pretty one, old and antique like.
It should fit in nice in a rock garden that is in the works.

The better half said "we're not having a permanent piece of mining equipment in the front yard"

I think I'm going to do it anyways and tell her its an Aztec Wishing Well.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Bob, you posted --- when you had to ride your mule to work

????? still do ???

Your spelling of an Arastra is quite acceptable. Have fun.

Stamps vrs jaw mill, stamps are noisy and messy but easier to construct, also stamps collect some of the Gold in the original passes. Mercury ( horrors) trap.

OP
OP
D

dchoff35

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2013
Rapid City, SD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bob, I have the same thing.. looks like a mortar and im packing the black powder in with a steel rod. But i do like nostalgic things like the stamp mill or the arastra. It shows the ingenuity of those before us. :thumbsup:

Check out what this guy made. This is where my idea came from

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I have the same thing.. looks like a mortar and im packing the black powder in with a steel rod. But i do like nostalgic things like the stamp mill or the arastra. It shows the ingenuity of those before us. :thumbsup:

Check out what this guy made. This is where my idea came from

That's pretty cool, I've never seen one actually run. I've seen big old ones sitting there, but I'd never seen them move. I've always wondered how they kept the rocks in before it got
completely crushed. Or once it is completely crushed, get it to move out.

Not much money in that either.. Looks like his stamps are old hydraulic rods with some plates welded on the end. I'd guess that is why they are so skinny and long, long for the weight,
skinny because they were free or very close to it. Some timber, a few pillow blocks, some cheap shafting and some swamp cooler pulleys.

Now I want one.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Www.pavestonecreations.ca

Nice little jaw crusher. He has the jaw plates available to build your own if so inclined.

And your all going to get me in trouble posting videos like that. I'm supposed to be resting not scheming up a new plan as the wife says.:laughing7:

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo.JPG

Stamp!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread