Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of us were out detecting up in the mountains outside of Denver this weekend, and saw a construction project going on, so we decided to check it out.
While we were there we saw a old timer scratching around one of the stone walls. He started pulling out what he referred to as silver sulfate, (or sulfide).
When he was done, he told us to have at it.
Brought quite a few specimens home with me, and am curious about them. I think they are mostly argentiferous galena, but really know little about the mineral.
Would it be worth getting them assayed for silver content? (I brought home easily 20 pounds of the stuff)
The mineral is very fragile, but if the larger pieces are broken apart carefully, will they show off more of the crystalline structure?
Should I go back for more, and really investigate the area for other minerals.
Any and all info would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks!
Carl
I also believe that the small gold like band on the last photo is pyrite, magnified it has small cubic crystals.

Attachments

• #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 130
  • #3.JPG
    #3.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 117
  • #4.JPG
    #4.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 117
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 124

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Silver Sulfide is the black tarnish on silverware. When it occurs as a mineral it's known as Acanthite.

Pictures are a very inaccurate way to determine what minerals are involved but your samples don't resemble Acanthite to me. Perhaps some of the dark stain might be Acanthite?

It looks like some of your specimens may be Arsenopyrite or in the case of the gray one weathered Galena.

All of those minerals have the potential to hold some silver or gold values. Getting an assay for 20 pounds of unknown ore is probably not very profitable but if you just want to satisfy your curiosity you should be sure to get a fire assay.

Probably a better way to determine just what minerals you have is to start with a hardness test and do a streak test. Little to no cost and you will know more about what you have found and a more efficient way to narrow down the possible identity of future mineral samples you find.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with ClayDig .... photos look like Arsenopyrite/Pyrite and Galena to me .

Certainly want hurt nothing to investigate the edges of the site while you can .
Even check out drainage spots as long as it's a virgin scrape/construction type
site and not one where they are hauling stuff in .

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info, everyone.
Definitely not my usual mode of hunting, so pretty ignorant on the subject.
The old-timer we met at the location mentioned that he planned to do some form of extraction,
saying that he would be using nitric acid to get to the silver. He's the owner of a local gold mine/panning operation,
and while we were talking to him he pulled from a small leather pouch a large weather worn chunk of gold.
Largest piece of gold that I have ever held! It was about the size of my palm, a half inch thick, and very smooth.
It contained a small amount of quartz, as well as a few crystals of feldspar still attached to it.
What got me so interested/greedy(?), was after he left and I was poking around near where he was digging, I managed to hit a 2"
thick vein of the galena. I scooped up as much as I could in a coffee can that I luckily had in my car trunk. By then it was getting too dark to see, and it wasn't worth the risk of breaking something trying to crawl out of there.
The site sadly might be a one day event, where we were digging will be soon covered up.
That and the fact that I am heading to Georgia for the Halloween weekend, so I won't be able to get back there this weekend.
I do plan to head back up there the second that I get back home, and try and follow the vein.
Hopefully I'll be able to run the DFX along the walls of the site, if it still is accessible.
Last few questions... Hell, I don't even know if this is the correct site to be posting these questions.

Should I be gentle and try to sort out any small pieces for specimens?

Will gently breaking apart the larger weathered pieces expose any decent looking crystal formations,
or will it just continue to crumble?

Again, thanks for all the input, and here's a few more photos.
Carl

Attachments

• #11.jpg
    #11.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 130
  • #12.JPG
    #12.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 136
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree on the galena. They are not really much for specimens as far as collectors go, as far as I can see.
Have a go at them.

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty specimens of galena, massive, not crystallized, bright and shiny, $2-10 at a rock and gem show. No point assaying as you surely won't be able to mine any. Silver values aren't unusual in galena, but the cost of extraction will be greater than the value of the silver. You should join a local rockhound club, it's an awesome hobby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread