636 KB · Views: 123
  • 10-3-15 004.JPG
    10-3-15 004.JPG
    589 KB · Views: 134

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff don't grow here, but here is my completely amature thoughts. It looks like copper and maganese. In shchist? Gniess? I'm not good at that part yet.
So if you look at a bunch of different ores on the googler, most the ores you are gonna see that look close to that are gonna be platinum ores. Just judging by color and appearance.
I truly have little to no experence with real geology. I just spend allot of time searchig the web. So don't take my word for it. In fact I'd be just as happy if someone come along and told me why I am wrong.

I can tell you this, cause I know this part.

If you crush it and roast it and pan it and subject the materials to Nitric acid and have metal still left over it's got good stuff in it. If you then part that material with aqua regia and have metal left over you have platinum or PGM.

Aside from that is smelting which is covered elsewhere.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at what was mined in your area in days past. That will give you a good idea of what it may be. From the looks of it, it came from a highly fractured vein with hydrothermal inclusions. Those can be interesting to say the least. The pic at the bottom is what I am chasing right now. More than enough to go after. Just have to get an adit rehabbed first.

The reddish brown staining could be iron based or it something similar. I gave up trying to identify every specimen out there. I find something interesting, I crush it, pan it, and go from there. If I find enough to interest me, I'll send samples off. That is the only way to be sure.

Attachments

• pics 004 (480x640).jpg
    pics 004 (480x640).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 119

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It might very well be gneiss. It surely is metamorphic, any way. The reddish material comes from Hematite, an iron oxide.

MM, yours looks good to.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Methinks Gneiss also. Good only for eat'n the hell out of button bits and high compressive strength crushed aggregate. Decorative ta boot. To bad you don't have a mountain of it to crush. It's good look'n stone.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions