Quartz with Pyrites from Greaterville, AZ

utahgoldguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2015
Logan, Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brought back several kilos of quartz with iron streaks, pyrites, coarse crystal structures, etc. Dug them out of horizontal veins from the entrance to two small shafts. I have crushed up a bunch and gotten lots of shiny (pyrites and mica), but nothing I can identify as gold. Am I just wasting my time?

IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3237.JPG

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have powdered the material and screened it to, lets say, minus 30 plus 50, minus 50 plus 100 and minus 100 mesh then try that. If there is free milling gold then it should be easy to spot when panned in those screen fractions.

I found this but didn't read it but it may be of interest to you. http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/Theses/Gross1969.pdf

Good luck.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have not powdered the material and screened it to, lets say, minus 30 plus 50, minus 50 plus 100 and minus 100 mesh then try that. If there is free milling gold then it should be easy to spot when panned in those separate screen fractions.

I found this, haven't read it, but, it may be of interest to you. http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/Theses/Gross1969.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

utahgoldguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2015
Logan, Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks robert2b. Will try that and report back.

And thank you arizau for the tip and the report. I did a fair amount of research before I went, but didn't see that one. Now I just have to (should) wait 'til after work to read it :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread