whats this?

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hate to open a new thread to ID rocks but this came out of the rocks I crushed and its got me stumped. hope I don't look like a total dumb ass with this but here go's! I crushed some samples down to flour sized powder then panned and this stuff in the photos is yellow and its the heaviest thing in the pan so anyone got any ideas. I got this out of a 20 lb sample DSCN1351.JPG DSCN1356.JPG DSCN1364.JPG DSCN1350.JPG
Did the best I could on the pictures

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold maybe?:) I couldn't tell you the pics are blurry so it's going to be hard for people to help. Try using something to stabilize the phone while taking the pics like using some books to rest it on and repost some better pics.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like gold, Terry Soloman, where are you? You've seen lots more gold than I ever will...

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just to help when you look at it under magnification it looks like a sulpher yellow. it looks like pieces of quartz that are yellow and I could not see any yellow in the sample I crushed prior to panning. its really got me stumped. im thinking it may be a quartz with some gold trapped inside in such a small amount it makes it look this way. I took more pictures but cant get anything to come out any better. If you click the picture and the little box pops up then click that it should go full screen.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Quartz does contain gold sometimes based on the amount of black sand in the pan I think you panned out all the pyrite and lighter stuff so with no other pics I guess you may have fine gold that was bound in the Quartz you crushed. Why does my phone capitalize Quartz every time lol.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
took it to the miner supply and let those guys have a look and they said possibly tungsten with some sort of chloride. they advised me to leave that quartz vein alone as this stuff is almost as heavy as gold and would make for a terrible task trying to separate the two.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does it look metallic?

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it looks like a crystal like a quartz would. that's what has me stumped. I wish I knew what it really is. its not magnetic and it doesn't really glow under UV light so im completely stumped. means that it is so much heavier than black sand I cant help but think there may be gold present in that rock as well. if similar minerals travel together it makes sense in my mind anyway.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chalcopyrite - copper. it may have gold in it.

you have to roast it to find out.

get a pyrex test tube, a propane torch, and some charcoal (kingston preferably).

crush and mix the pyrite and charcoal about 50/50. put in test tube. than blast the bottom of the tube. you should get a bead of copper with some gold in it.

if it doesn't melt than it would be tungsten.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with desert, yet i would say sulfides, same way smelt it and see, i would use a crucible tho myself.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like monazite, I have it here at my place Treasure Valley in Western North Carolina. Monazite can be yellowish in color and appear as gold dust but it is a crystal. Monazite is a REE (Rare Earth Element) that is radioactive and with a SG of 4.6 to 5.4 so it will hang around in the pan. So this could be a possibility.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how did you crush your samples?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couldn't hurt to let the MD20 give its opinion and if it "chirps yes", just one more reason to save the sample for further consideration.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your out in the Wikieup/Wickenburg area, you need to have it tested. There is some strange stuff going on out there, much like the eastern side here, that doesn't fit the "norm" for gold.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a photo of the assay report?

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I can figure out what the wife did with it ill post a picture. it was just a raw random grab sample. I sent in 3 bags at about 1.5-2 lbs each. If I remember right the foot wall of the vein was the highest content. What boggled my mind is the silver content was almost the same as the gold.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry ive been so long in replying to the questions ive been having hell with the metal detector I bought on top of working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. glad to say today is about the last of the 12's. Im crushing the ore with the flail mill I built, look at the finished rock crusher thread I have to see more on that. I have a question I hope yall can help me with. I found a vein in the wall of a dry wash that contains some gold that's very fine. The part of the vein ive sampled on this is about level with the bottom of the wash. the vein runs at 45-60 degrees down into the ground. Im wondering if the gold content will get better as I go deeper? this stuff has been washed by water lord knows how many times over the year so will that leach out the gold? I haven't dug but about 2' into the wall and maybe a foot down. this vein is about 100 yards from an old working that was on the wall of the wash just like this, the old timers move a lot of dirt by hand in this area so it makes me wonder if its worth going in deeper. Any input would be great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread