Gold?

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a look a this pic, sorry I need better loop. This is from some quartz i crushed with heavy mineralization. I classified it thru a -70 mesh though most was dust. acts like gold in the pan, but is dull looking (compared to the gold I usually get in the area) There are silver mines several ridge's over. Is this a high silver content gold? Or something else. It doesn't have a cubic looking matrix, it's just not as bright as I would expect. I'll go out in the sunlight tomorrow and get some better pictures.

Attachments

• 1463206008185.jpg
    1463206008185.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 1463206031719.jpg
    1463206031719.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 170

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What he said up above. Looks good. Not sure pyrite would have stayed there after panning. Solution---take it somewhere and try to buy something...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You win! Now go get some more my friend!

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You win! Now go get some more my friend!

It definitely looked like gold in the pan. There was just a bit more in there then I was expecting. The two rocks I crushed were just slightly smaller then golf balls. Here's a picture of the other 3 I have yet to crush. I'll try and do it today. I'll definitely go and grab some more. The creek is still covered in snow, but hillside I got these from is south facing. I'm hoping it's snow free. I'll take a drive up there tomorrow and find out.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the pic

Attachments

• 1463327420882.jpg
    1463327420882.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 123

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, take one of the pieces and hit it with a hammer. If it shatters, not gold. If it flattens, QUICK GO AND CLAIM THAT AREA!!

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What he said up above. Looks good. Not sure pyrite would have stayed there after panning. Solution---take it somewhere and try to buy something...

Lol go try an buy something lol. That was funny. I can picture him going into a store and dumping it out on the counter for a 6 pack and a bag of chips.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KCM is right, pyrite shatters, gold flattens.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's pretty darn small stuff and not much. I'm going to crush the other 3 rocks pile it together put it on sledge hammer face and give it a whack with another hammer. I'm thinking something like a single jack or something similar with some weight behind it

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's pretty darn small stuff and not much. I'm going to crush the other 3 rocks pile it together put it on sledge hammer face and give it a whack with another hammer. I'm thinking something like a single jack or something similar with some weight behind it

Yikes no!! Sounds like a way to send it flying in all directions!

Instead try pressing down on one piece with a knife blade. Shatters= pyrite. Cuts or dents = gold!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Smokey, but I was simply repeating what HGSO stated in Post #3.

Kevin is right - the pieces would go flying. You could easily lose most of your gold. Best idea would be to take a short piece of steel pipe with a cap that is large enough for the rocks to go into 1 at a time. Use a long, steel rod to crush in the pipe. An alternative (just for a quick sampling) would be to wrap the rocks up (again, 1 at a time) in a couple layers of cloth, then smash with a hammer. There's still a chance that the cloth will rip/tear and that you'd lose material, but certainly more protection than using nothing.

The reason to smash each rock individually is so you can find out what to keep your eyes open for. Smash/crush one rock, sample, and take notes of your finds. Then move to the next rock. You'll soon learn which rocks to haul home.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok sounds good thanks should have said tap instead of whack. Was thinking something heavy so I could smash without having to swing hard. I'll crush each rock separate and try to smash with knife. Knife edge or flat of knife?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In my last post, I was referring to the 3 rocks in your pan, post #8 - use a hammer

As for the tiny pieces in your pan in the OP, you can use a knife (side or back of blade), use a pair of pliers, or hit with a hammer - preferably one with a smooth face. Hitting one tiny piece, it may scatter everywhere, but you're just sampling one tiny speck. ...Maybe use pliers? That'd be easier, I'd think. Regardless which way you choose, if it flattens, it's gold. If it shatters, it's pyrite. I'll guess it's gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread