heavy ore

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out and about few weeks ago and found a nice specimen of ore bought it for a buck. measures 3 inch long and 3 inch wide and about 1 and a half inch's thick weighs over a pound it's dam heavy for such a small piece and it has the peacock colors through out and gold all over it. It hit a solid 55 on my G.T.I. 2500 what i'm wandering is there a specific gravity./ test to find out how much gold is in it or could i take it to a jewelers or someone who might have a clue. Cause it's for sale i need a gold detector/ Only detector i don't own is a good gold detector so hopefully this will ass to the funds./Thanks for your time and advice Bob I'll try to get a pic for you

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Bot sure, but it sounds like Bornite or "Peacock Ore". Mostly copper with iron and no gold. Mined in Mexico. Nice sample for a collection... Cu5FeS4. Sorry...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Not just Mexico - also in USA and Canada.

I love looking at photos of Peacock ores. Even better to see them in person!!

This is what I'm looking forward to later this summer:

Peacock.1.jpg

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ooh.. copper

the impurities in that may contain gold.

probably not much and you would have to use an electrolyzer with some chemicals to purify it.

if you can get enough of that though it might be worth a small op.

and that doesn't look like peacock ore. looks like chalcopyrite and malachite in host rock.

peacock ore is oxidized chalcopyrite, like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pea...X&ved=0ahUKEwjUzsfolfLMAhULE1IKHZW1AmkQsAQIGw

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you leave that sitting for a while the gold color will start turning colors.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, that first pic has some very good values in it - copper, gold, PGM's

Yes, another example of peacock ore is this one from Canada:

Peacock.2.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, if ore has a rainbow of colors, it's a peacock ore. I mean, if you found ore like that first pic, would you pass it by because it was shy on purples?? :tongue3:

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just being technical.

I've mined in this stuff called peridotite, and boy can it have some nice colors. lots of iron with some nice chunky gold. the reds and purples in it come from iron, the greens come from peridot/olivine or pyroxene.

if you can get enough of that you could probably roast it down collect the slag pieces. melt it into one solid mass than send in a small sample of that slag to assay. than knowing the %'s of metals, you'll know how much you should get from the refinery.

OP
OP
B

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the pic. I had the piece looked at and i keep getting ( OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ) usually i would crush it and pan the gold out but this specimen has a ton of visible gold and i won't crush it you just can't find pieces like this. I would like to sell it but theres no one in the Kansas city area to give me an appraisal. Does Colorado ? I don't mind flying there it's just a 55 minute flight or drive . Hell i might as well do some panning while i'm there. Anyways i need help finding someone to appraise and sell to, any help would be awesum Thanks. sorry i don't have a decent camera

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a given from what I have read, specimens of peacock copper ore will set off a metal detector. Also gold can be associated with peacock copper but it is probably not in the visible range. What you think is gold may not be and a quick visual test will pretty much confirm or deny that. View the specimen in full and shaded light (shade it with your hand) and if the gold areas change color and are no longer gold in color then it is almost surely not gold* and probably is chalcopyrite which is another copper mineral often associated with bornite/peacock copper. I also found this quote: "Peacock Ore" which is sold to many amateur mineral collectors often as a variety of Bornite, is in fact almost always Chalcopyrite treated with acid to produce an iridescent tarnish. Though some Chalcopyrite is naturally iridescent, wild colors such as strong blues and purples are usually formed from acid treatment.

*That is always my first test when unsure of what I am looking at because gold looks like gold in full and shaded light!

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ooh.. copper

the impurities in that may contain gold.

probably not much and you would have to use an electrolyzer with some chemicals to purify it.

if you can get enough of that though it might be worth a small op.

and that doesn't look like peacock ore. looks like chalcopyrite and malachite in host rock.

peacock ore is oxidized chalcopyrite, like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pea...X&ved=0ahUKEwjUzsfolfLMAhULE1IKHZW1AmkQsAQIGw

Peacock ore is actually bornite from a traditional point of view. Commercially though, most "Peacock ore" is chalcopyrite that's been treated with acid to imitate bornite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread