Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Processing Sulphide Based Ores

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting

Processing Sulphide Based Ores

Except for arsenopyrite. We'll leave that one out for now as it gets real complicated real quick. And if you mess up, the gold is gone.

In a serious effort to make small scale mining more "environmentally friendly" and stuff it up the eco's rear ends, I've been doing a lot of research on this. So here ya go.

Activated charcoal (AC) is very effective at removing the sulfur dioxide that is created when roasting sulfide based ores. And as we all know, the EPA has been on a rampage against the powerhouses because of it. So they can kiss my arse after this one.

Carbon Air Filters - Carbon Filter Selection

So a 1" thick bed of AC will remove 80% of the existing SO2. So if there is 100 ppm of SO2 is present, 1 layer of AC will reduce it to 20 ppm. Add in multiple layers and the SO2 gets reduced even further. So a 5 layer system will reduce our hypothetical 100 ppm of SO2 to 0.032 ppm. Filled columns work even better, but I am trying to find some hard numbers in the research that everyone will understand.

Now I know some of you will say the AC will cost too much. So here is another answer.

http://acs.omnibooksonline.com/data/...1997_ii128.pdf

The SO2 combines with the oxygen in the AC to form sulfur trioxide. The AC can be washed with water which will remove the sulfur trioxide forming a dilute sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid has market value so what was once a pollutant now becomes a profit stream.

The AC at this point can be dried, heated to reactivate, and reused until it falls apart.

More to follow. But for now.......

kcm, ClaimStake and Nitric like this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting
    Further research shows that a wet scrubber would work just as well, be cheaper and easier to build and maintain, would have less to go wrong, and would have no need for the AC as the water mist inside would cause a direct conversion of the sulfur dioxide to dilute sulfuric acid. Working on a drawing now.
    kcm and ClaimStake like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7024 times
    Great post MM!! I had wondered long ago about using water mist as a pre-scrubber for the gases. Never did try to work through the process, however.

I would think using a set amount of water recirculated through until a sensor notifies that the water is of a certain acidic level. Then the water could be drained and fresh water added. The more simple the process, the better.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting
    Here's some more info. And hopefully you all will start to understand why I am so big on knowing EXACTLY what is in your ore.

Calcium carbonate

The part we are concerned with as far as processing sulphide based ores is about half way down the page. It is a one to one reaction and with a little compressed air blown through the precipitate, it now converts from sulfur dioxide to calcium sulfate, better known as gypsum. Yes it is the same stuff that the sheetrock in your house is made of. So it can be either disposed of as construction waste at your local landfill or used for other purposes in you are so inclined.

I checked my local Tractor Supply and a 50 pound bag of lime is $2.99, less if bought in bulk through other Agriculture supply stores.

Considering how the eco freaks are trying to beat us into the ground over pollution, we would be rather stupid not to take advantage of a little chemistry to stick it to them.

For our purposes, a packed bed wet scrubber would work perfect, be cheap and easy to construct, and have great benefits in painting us as environmentally friendly.

A little picture of said scrubber. It would need to be made of plastic so the sulfur dioxide doesn't eat it away.

The lime could be mixed with the water and sprayed in directly (probably best) or it could be held in another container and the water circulated through.

us
    Jul 2015
    Oroville CA
    Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
    232 times
    Prospecting
    great stuff, I've thought about using a high pressure 3 or 4 inch blower with a 55 gal drum and a bubble screen at the bottom.

graphene would work even better than AC.

Mar 2016
    181 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ecofreaks will always freak because they are too stupid to comprehend any semblance of a logical concept based on facts and not their insecure ego based reality.

Good info here... lots of super rich sulfide ore belts exist on the east coast that remain untouched.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1871 times
    seems with all the modern leachant on the market, one could most likley do away with the roasting of the ores.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    seems with all the modern leachant on the market, one could most likley do away with the roasting of the ores.
    Yea they are close. But for right now it is out of reach for the little guy. And all the currently available leachants on the market get chewed up by the Sulphur in the ores.

Roasting is the cheapest way for the small guy as long as it is done in an environmentally friendly matter. Especially if the burner was setup to use some type of waste oil.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting
    Still trying to figure out a way to use the waste oil side of this. The roaster in the video from Action Mining is priced at $13.5K. I understand that there are development costs and all that but that puts it out of reach for all but a few of the small guys, especially considering that it will only do 350 pounds per hour. And that is not based on a good roast, just how much material it would push through.

I have to admit though, that things like this really irritate me. Charging exuberant prices for things that are very simple. The heating elements in this are more than likely nothing more than Nichrome or Kanthal wire, from your standard pottery kilns, wrapped around a black iron pipe and set inside multiple layers of Kaowool insulation. For the price he wants for this he could have at least use a piece of stainless pipe which would be resistant to the sulfur dioxide created and last a lot longer.

Don't get me wrong everybody. I am not bashing this guy. I actually commend him for getting things like this out there. It's just when prices get too high very little action takes place.

us
    Johnny "Nuggets"

Jan 2012
    Northern NV.
    Whites V3I, Whites TDI Pulse, Whites MXT, Falcon MD20
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Good post nice gear but still very expensive for the micro miner. And honestly its all been done before. One thing lots of environmentally friendly companies are doing are using a "bug" or I should say bacteria to do the processing for them you might look into that. I been around this stuff for along time and I have a relative whom is essentially my best friend who is a Geologist I have gone up and down with this stuff lots of times and it always turns out its just not worth it for small / micro scale. When you get 35% out of your say your roasting and add up all the costs and time involved you still end up in the hole let alone anyone catches you doing it (not that they would) the issues with idiots like that. I know it sucks and I know you can get some gold back but when it all comes out in the wash as they say its not a very good financial proposition for a small miner.. Just my 2 cents.

us
    Retired

Mar 2015
    Texas
    641 times
    I wonder if you could just do a fluidized bed reactor using the AC? I need to read more on it too.

CIP is commonly in use for the big guys, I wonder if scaling down would work for us.
    Last edited by SaltwaterServr; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:44 AM.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4163 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpodetector View Post
    Good post nice gear but still very expensive for the micro miner. And honestly its all been done before. One thing lots of environmentally friendly companies are doing are using a "bug" or I should say bacteria to do the processing for them you might look into that. I been around this stuff for along time and I have a relative whom is essentially my best friend who is a Geologist I have gone up and down with this stuff lots of times and it always turns out its just not worth it for small / micro scale. When you get 35% out of your say your roasting and add up all the costs and time involved you still end up in the hole let alone anyone catches you doing it (not that they would) the issues with idiots like that. I know it sucks and I know you can get some gold back but when it all comes out in the wash as they say its not a very good financial proposition for a small miner.. Just my 2 cents.
    Last I checked a couple of plastic 55 gal drums could be had for around $100.00. Probably less if you can find them used.

Some PVC pipe to resist the sulfuric acid, a pump to circulate the water, a few sprayers, and some media for the water and sulfur dioxide to condense on.

Nothing expensive, nothing super technical about this.

I'll be this could be easily built for under $500. Set it up as a "batch roast" of a few hundred pounds of concentrated material and your off to the races.

I know all about the "bug" style of leaching. Not even close to being viable for the little guy. We used it here for a little while and went back to leaching the oxide ore with sulfuric acid. It is cheaper, faster, and more effective.

The biggest cost with this is heating the ore. If that can be done through using a waste product, like used motor oil, then the costs get reduced significantly. I do know that an Air Force Gun Burner from an oil furnace can be modified to run used oil very cheaply. And we have successfully run a diesel engine on used motor oil after thinning 50/50 with offroad diesel and filtering down to 3 microns.

No "standard" solution exists for us, so it's time we think outside of the box.
    kcm and Nitric like this.

us
    Retired

Mar 2015
    Texas
    641 times
    I bet you could do it for less than $500. I'd go bigger scale, multi-pass. I would look at using those big square cage polyethylene tanks that are dang cheap if you get me used. Quite a few large car washes get their detergents in those. I was looking at picking some up here around Phoenix and they were less than $75 each.

An alternative would be to use small with air tight lids. Plumb the air lines in parallel. Use either that matting they use for evaporative swamp coolers, perlite, or coco coir as your filter media.

The heat is still the road block though. I'm in an area of the desert i can collect dead wood for 100 square miles but that's going to be cost and time prohibitive eventually. Best practice would be a two or three shelf kiln so that 2/3rd of the roasted ore is helping to heat the new 1/3 batch.
    Mad Machinist likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7024 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    Last I checked a couple of plastic 55 gal drums could be had for around $100.00. Probably less if you can find them used.
    It's funny...I remember reading in one of my wife's magazines (Mother Earth News...for the gardening articles, ONLY!) about this guy in California who was getting empty 55-gal. plastic barrels by the hundreds for free, and how there were thousands more just sitting there waiting to be claimed. Shoot, haven't seen a free barrel (plastic OR steel) in so many years I can't even remember! Around here, used plastic is going for about $25-$35 each. Steel is slightly less.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7024 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    I bet you could do it for less than $500. I'd go bigger scale, multi-pass. I would look at using those big square cage polyethylene tanks that are dang cheap if you get me used. Quite a few large car washes get their detergents in those. I was looking at picking some up here around Phoenix and they were less than $75 each.

An alternative would be to use small with air tight lids. Plumb the air lines in parallel. Use either that matting they use for evaporative swamp coolers, perlite, or coco coir as your filter media.

The heat is still the road block though. I'm in an area of the desert i can collect dead wood for 100 square miles but that's going to be cost and time prohibitive eventually. Best practice would be a two or three shelf kiln so that 2/3rd of the roasted ore is helping to heat the new 1/3 batch.
    I was outside earlier and passed about 3' away from a mirror. The sun hit my face, fortunately not blinding me. However, if I had stayed there for any length of time, it would have caused serious burns. Why not put the sun to work for ya'? Instead of buying fuel, could invest in some large, concentrating mirrors that will build up far too much heat, and then have an automatic vent that will prevent the heat from being excessive.

I know it would only "work" in the daytime and on sunny days, but isn't that what you guys have most in the desert?

Instead of a barrel (steel), I'd use 1/4"-wall steel pipe or steel plate. Make it so that it can be well-sealed. Then set up an air-scrubber system that will circulate the air and scrub the gases.

Load up your batch of ore, let it 'cook' for a pre-determined amount of time, then crush and pan, or however you want to proceed.

...Guess a lot depends on just how "small scale" an operation is. Could probably make a trailer-mount unit that could be towed home every day.

EDIT: Sorry. Good idea, but not practical. My mind has been all over the place lately - everywhere but on mining. But, it's there, so might as well leave it.
    Last edited by kcm; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links