kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Teeau, I'm a little confused. On another post, you were asking for help/looking for a partner because of working dredge tailings. Now you're asking about safely getting ore out of an old mine? ...Correction - I'm a LOT confused.

Also, your other posts seem to say that you need a partner to "move rock". Almost sounds more like you're looking for an investor.

Did you by chance purchase a claim from someone? Or did you place a claim on an old mine from the past - one that was probably shut down for war reasons?

The rock you need crushed - is it oxides or sulfides? Do you know the difference? Are you looking ONLY for gold? what about other metals mixed with the gold? Are you looking to smelt the gold yourself?

Mining/prospecting requires many things to be proficient. You have to have a good working knowledge of geology, mineralogy, chemistry, metallurgy (I'll include pyro-mettalurgy in there), hydraulics (both oil and water), and physics, just to start with!

I'm thrilled that you have a place that you have access to such gold - 1.5 oz/ton. That's wonderful!! If you intend to work the ores yourself, you need to do some studying and learn from actual experienced miners (of which I'm not one). If you're looking to hire a crew to do the work while you supervise, that's great also. Just so you're clear about just what it is you're looking for. And I think you already understand that if looking to hire a crew, you have to have equipment for them to use....which seems to be one of your problems.

If I may suggest, there are some very awesome books that I would recommend getting. Most of these are available online for free download, but the first one isn't. The first book is in print only, and would probably best be ordered from Canada (much cheaper that way!!).

The Modern Goldseekers Manual, by Tom Bryant ISBN 0-9693912-1-8, available from Bedrock Supply (they actually publish this book)

Depending on what other information you're looking for, these are also in my e-library:
GEOLOGY
Earth Sculpture - The Origin of Land-Forms - by Geikie, 1898
Geology - by James Geikie (Illustrated)
Gold Regions of Canada - White, 1867
Magnetic Properties of Rocks and Minerals, by ChristophePr . Hunt, BruceM . Moskowitz,S ubirK . Banerjee (16-page .pdf file)
Mineral Resources of the United States - Loughlin, 1919
Mineralogy - An Introduction to the Study of Minerals and Crystals - by Kraus & Hunt, 1920
Ore Deposit Geology [John Ridley, 2013]
Structural and Field Geology (for students) - by Geikie, 1920
The Enrichment of Ore Deposits - by William Wmmons 1917

Roasting, Smelting & Fire Assay
A Compendium of Gold Metallurgy and Mining Laws - Wade, 1901
Electric Furnaces in the Iron and Steel Industry - Rodenhauser, 1920
Fire Assaying - Shepard and Dietrich, 1940
Fire Assaying-Art or Science - by ALS Minerals - 2012 info article
Hydrometallurgy of Silver - Hofmann, 1907
Metallurgy of Silver, Gold and Mercury in the US, Vol I (Silver) - by Egleston 1887
Metallurgy of Silver, Gold and Mercury in the US, Vol II (Gold) - by Egleston 1887
Notes on the Treatment of Gold Ores - O'Driscoll, 1889
Pocket-Book for Miners and Metallurgists - Power, 1914
Practical Metallurgy-An Elementary Textbook - Gower, 1902
Pyrite Smelting - Rickard, 1905
Roasting of Gold and Silver Ores - Kustel, 1880
The Electric Furnace - Stansfield, 1907
The Metallurgy of Common Metals - Austin, 1921
Tools for Mining - Techniques and processes for Small Scale Mining - 1993

MISCELLANEOUS
Gold Recovery Methods, by Robin Grayson (THIS IS A MUST-HAVE!!)
http://www.goldivanti.com/files/Gold-Recovery-Methods.pdf

A Study of Ore Deposits for the Practical Miner - 1908 (this e-book was so good that I ordered a reprint in paperback)
Bulletin 625 - The Enrichment of Ore Deposits - Emmons, 1917
De Re Metallica, Translated from the First Latin Edition of 1556 by Georg Agricola
Extraction of Ores and Minerals - 1994.08
Field Testing for Gold and Silver - Merritt, 1911
Fire Assay Procedure
Introduction to Gold Assaying - What’s in a Gold Grade
Metallurgy - The Art of Extracting Metals from their Ores - by Percy, 1880
Mine Timbering - Sanders 1907 (201 pages)
Scales Of Responsible Gold Mining - Ecuador-Gold - 2006.05
Ultra Fine Grinding - A Practical Alternative to Oxidative Treatment of Refractory Gold Ores

Some of the above are .pdf files, so search for the exact phrases of anything that interests you. There is also a website that has a wealth of knowledge, and I highly recommend a visit. It has been a work-in-progress and don't know if it's finished yet, but the attempt is to concentrate the very best of mining information and material in one place.
https://www.911metallurgist.com/

As you already have your claim to work, I've left out any books concerning prospecting for gold (meaning, how to find a gold-bearing site).

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have rich ore that needs processed.could use info help about mining an oldmines safety getting out the ore
Thanks for any help

There is no safe way to get ore out of an old mine unless you know what you are looking at as far as the workings go and are willing to do a complete rehab of the mine if necessary.

Many of these old mines were dug by "greenhorns" who had absolutely no idea of how to work the rock and just followed the vein. If there is a lot of debris on the floor of the mine, then the roof (back to us experienced guys and gals) then the roof is unstable and could cave at any time possibly condemning you to a sloe death deep underground in total blackness with nothing but your thoughts to drive you insane before you die.

If the mine is timbered and has a lot of water in it, then it is an accident waiting for someone to trigger it.

Tap on the roof with a rock hammer. It should have a defined ring if it is solid. If it sounds like a dull thud, then the roof is "hollow" and could collapse at any time.

Now keep in mind that these are not hard and fast rules. Every situation is different and even evaluating an old mine could possibly get you killed.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no safe way to get ore out of an old mine unless you know what you are looking at as far as the workings go and are willing to do a complete rehab of the mine if necessary.

Many of these old mines were dug by "greenhorns" who had absolutely no idea of how to work the rock and just followed the vein. If there is a lot of debris on the floor of the mine, then the roof (back to us experienced guys and gals) then the roof is unstable and could cave at any time possibly condemning you to a sloe death deep underground in total blackness with nothing but your thoughts to drive you insane before you die.

If the mine is timbered and has a lot of water in it, then it is an accident waiting for someone to trigger it.

Tap on the roof with a rock hammer. It should have a defined ring if it is solid. If it sounds like a dull thud, then the roof is "hollow" and could collapse at any time.

Now keep in mind that these are not hard and fast rules. Every situation is different and even evaluating an old mine could possibly get you killed.

....That's worth repeating! :thumbsup:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
teeau,

I am not trying to be a harda$$ here. What I am telling you could very well save your life and could be the difference between you having a profitable venture and spending your life savings chasing a dream only do die a broke and broken old man.

The general area of your mine along with pictures of your ore will go a long way in helping you.

There are so many intricacies in underground mining that go together that one without the others could be fatal to no only you but to whoever you have working with you.

When you took your samples, did you high grade the ore body or did you take samples across the face to get an average of all the face?

What all is in your ore? I am not talking things like gold and silver. I am talking about things like Sulphur and arsenic. Processing those ores can eat up all your profits very quickly due it the fact that arsenic and a lot of other minerals in the various ores have to be disposed of as toxic waste. And that gets expensive real quick.

Do you know what kind of airflow do you have in the mine? And if it is not adequate, what are your plans to make it so? Too much time in a heavy dust environment will kill you just as effectively as a roof falling on you albeit a lot slower and a lot more painfully.

Is there easy access to the mine? Or will the ore have to be packed out?

I am not trying to crush your hopes and dreams here, just trying to make sure your going at this as realistically as possible.

I know where there is a deposit grading an average of 25 ounces per ton of gold and over 40 of silver. It will just cost too much to go get it.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
some of the best gold times i ever had were just following the vein !

it dont always have to be about money or profit

go for the gold have fun stay safe.

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

Worth repeating, again.

I've explored one mine where I can tell where the new crew moved into it and had little if any idea what they were doing after the commercial outfit left. The back and ribs are strapped, bolted, and chicken wired up nice and tight.

Then the last fifty feet looks like someone with a batch of explosives came in and blew it all to hell. Same with the raises. The rock is fractured, cracked, rotted out from being overcharged when they blasted. There's gold in it, but I won't go in there alone anymore.

I talked to an old local guy one night up in Wickenburg who's father was an old miner. Said he had a few mines on his place, but he wouldn't go in them even though his dad did the bracing. His stance was that they braced backs and ribs like they had been taught in other mines or had seen and used fairly sufficient beams for the most part.

What they didn't do is brace and timber those mines with the expectation that someone would be working them 20 or 30 years later, much less a full century.

The board at the end of the video looks perfectly solid, as do the uprights, from the front. Until you get in and look from behind can you see the magnificent danger.

When I shot this video I had no idea what selvage was, hence the comment on calcium.

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
teeau,

I know where there is a deposit grading an average of 25 ounces per ton of gold and over 40 of silver. It will just cost too much to go get it.

Reminds me of that geologist who found that one field up in Alaska. Has 6 billion in gold sitting in it, but needed a billion in investments to open it up. Supposedly the mining was to start last year or this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread