Rusty rock with yellow/gold powder

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was out for a walk today and decided to walk along a ridge ( I'm in the bush in Canada) that I had come across. At the peak ( the ridge ended up being a huge rock outcrop) I noticed what looked like a "wash" (bigger rocks at the top splaying out into smaller ones down at the bottom. I picked up a few of the rocks (some were rust coloured) and noticed some fractures in them. I broke one open and it was filled with yellow/gold powder type substance...the same occurred on the other rocks I broke open.

Any ideas...if a pic is required I would have to go back.

On another note, on the opposite side of the cliff there is a large (4'x4') quartz deposit ...would it be worth chunking it off to look for gold? Would I b better off looking below where the quartz is to see if there is gold.

I'm a metal detector so this is all new to me:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, make sure the land isn't currently under claim. I've heard that the gov't in some areas barely even slaps the hand of offenders, while other areas are more rigidly enforced.

For additional info, check out:
Claim Staking | Ministry of Northern Development and Mines

http://www.oma.on.ca/en/ontariomining/ProspectingandClaimstaking.asp

Ontario Prospector's Association (<-- not a gov't website)

One quick and simple way to see if your powder might be gold would be to put some of the powder in a plastic bowl, along with some sand. Add a little water. Now, using ONLY the action of the water, try to separate the gold from the sand. Gold has a much higher Specific Gravity than sand, which means the sand will move much easier than gold. This is not a foolproof test, but a good starting point. Also, you might want to add just a drop of liquid dish soap to the bowl. Though gold is very heavy, fine gold "can" float on water under certain conditions. The drop of soap will eliminate any chance of gold specks floating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much appreciated...will look into...I definitely don't want to be "mowing someone else's lawn"!!!

OP
OP
B

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will go back tonight and get some pics (if it's not someone else's property/claim)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread