Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm wondering if there are any of you in or around El Dorado County (Placerville) who would like to let me crush a couple of buckets or 3 for a fee, I have a decent amount of gold bearing ore that I've been crushing by hand using a rock hammer and a flat piece of granite.. needless to say it's taken a toll on this old guys hands. I'm willing to pay a fair price and would not be one of those who may abuse the generosity of the offerer
Not sure how this works but if your willing PM me..
thanks for looking.I appreciate it
Tony

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tony , sad to say I live in LasVegas , I built myself a rock crusher and mounted it on the tung of my trailer for sampling , if I were closer I'd love to help for no fee but gas used , it is able to do 2200 lbs in a bought hr. As long as the one feeding it keeps up . Up to 3" Rock .

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe you already thought of this but.....go to page 2 of this thread and look for a couple of pictures of a length of pipe, steel rod and plate steel eg. it's a "simple hand operated rock crusher/pulveriser".

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...-quite-adventure-i-havent-found-much-yet.html

All parts should be cheap and available at a local scrap yard. Weld the pipe to the plate and you can operate one handed without having to chase down the dust and rock shards. The process still requires some manual labor but it is undoubtedly easier than using a hammer, the aim is always dead on and, most of all, productive since the point(s) of contact almost completely covers the whole area of pipe.:icon_thumright:

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had an once of talent for welding,I'd be set or an once of gold either way I could acquire one.
I currently use a 1"hex bar and a T post hammer, still need to get even finer to pan and blue bowl
Thanks everyone
still looking

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this doesn't answer your question but if you are stuck with your current method you might consider rigging up a spring pole for your hex bar and t-post.
I have done this similar setup so all I had to do is pull down on the pole and the spring in the pole lifted the pestle back up, it saves half the work. The one in the pic I would make the handle longer past where the pestle connects to the pole. dolly_mill.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've made several of these rock crushers that use the pipe and a steel rod to hand crush rock and when I've brought them to club outtings I always have something for sale AND then some people come over eye-balling my stuff and ask , "What are those?" and when I tell them they look at me like I'm crazy! HUMPH , maybe they are right???:dontknow:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
even with a good mortar and pestle chunks still go flying, I like to put mine down on a piece of canvas. crush some ore, seive it and recrush the oversize, trying to beat the rocks down to dust in one pass with a mortar and pestle never worked well for me. Gambrinus I have an older prospecting book that describes using a bent over sappling to make a manual single stamp mill.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
even with a good mortar and pestle chunks still go flying, I like to put mine down on a piece of canvas. crush some ore, seive it and recrush the oversize, trying to beat the rocks down to dust in one pass with a mortar and pestle never worked well for me. Gambrinus I have an older prospecting book that describes using a bent over sappling to make a manual single stamp mill.
The 'Old timers' had to do it this way as well. Thanks

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Get a piece of old inner tube and punch a hole in the center,slip it over your pestle and hold it over the mortar as your crushing.People get frustrated using a mortar and pestal because they put too much quartz in the bowl and pound the hell out of the rock.Go slow with a little rock at a time and you won't wear yourself out.Also you won't keep hitting the sides of the mortar and crack the cast iron.Your sampling,not running a hand drivin stamp mill.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be putting up a bunch of my equipment for sale if you or any one you know is interested ,
8" trammel , desert fox , mini high banker , mini clean up sluice, keen 52 sluice , screens . Oven , 16" rock crusher . Works really well . M416 military trailer set up for prospecting or hunting if your into that . Top cargo rack , pm me or any one that could be interested , setting up for retirement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread