OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking good. I'm milling with a similar unit. So far the 3/8th square security chain has proven worthy. They've eaten through about 2 ton without fail. I just rotate them like tires when they start to taper, and the 99.00 harbor freight 5hp predator engine was worth every penny.

View attachment 1481295

View attachment 1481294

Gold is where you find it.

I'm using some 5/16" grade 10 alloy chain I salvaged from a broken chain fall i had here. We'll see how it lasts.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
This one has not used a impact mill yet thus a 'Greenhorn'.......LOL
Just asking if one uses a impact mill say on rock up to 4-5 hardness or just test rock to see how well it fractures up? Any tips here on what rock mills well and what types of rock that does not mill well?
Is it best to break up the rock to say about 1 inch size first before using a impact mill?
This one may also weld up a impact mill down the road if it works well.
Thank you.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips.

Hello
Any tips on how the rock is selected to run through the impact mill? The amount of rock per hour must depend on the type and hardness? May be the big question is that most of the rock may need to be smaller in size first?
Is 1-2 inches a good size to start with or should the rock be much smaller in size?
Thank you.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Any tips on how the rock is selected to run through the impact mill? The amount of rock per hour must depend on the type and hardness? May be the big question is that most of the rock may need to be smaller in size first?
Is 1-2 inches a good size to start with or should the rock be much smaller in size?
Thank you.

Typically type harder the rock is, the easier it is to break, to a point. Harder rock just wears the chains more. Just about any rock can be run through an impact mill, it is just up to you to find an acceptable rate of wear.

Smaller rock will reduce the wear on the chains. Think of an impact mill as a secondary crusher. Sure it will break up 4" rock with high wear rates on the chains. If you feed it 1/2" minus from a primary crusher, the chains may last 5x longer.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Typically type harder the rock is, the easier it is to break, to a point. Harder rock just wears the chains more. Just about any rock can be run through an impact mill, it is just up to you to find an acceptable rate of wear.

Smaller rock will reduce the wear on the chains. Think of an impact mill as a secondary crusher. Sure it will break up 4" rock with high wear rates on the chains. If you feed it 1/2" minus from a primary crusher, the chains may last 5x longer.
Yes most everyone tends to use the impact mill as secondary or after some other primary crusher say around the 1/2" minus rock feed. Thanks for the tips about the chain life. Must be a little noise there in use..........LOL.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes most everyone tends to use the impact mill as secondary or after some other primary crusher say around the 1/2" minus rock feed. Thanks for the tips about the chain life. Must be a little noise there in use..........LOL.

I ran mine one time in my garage. It's like a rock concert. No pun intended.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran mine one time in my garage. It's like a rock concert. No pun intended.
Yea some rock concerts are on the loud side especially 'Heavy metal'.....LOL

jason.combe.7

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a crazy question, would a piece of railroad track work well for a hammer mill to break up before it goes in to the flail mill. Was thinking of a falling block type thing with a flywheel that lifts then releases.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a crazy question, would a piece of railroad track work well for a hammer mill to break up before it goes in to the flail mill. Was thinking of a falling block type thing with a flywheel that lifts then releases.

A "hammer Mill" is different then what you are describing. You are actually describing a stamping mill. I only mention this so that if you do a Youtube search, it will take you to what you want to build.

A piece of railroad track will work, but not because it is hardened steel, but because there is so much mass to it.

An alternative way to get a thick piece of steel, rather then buying an expensive piece of steel, and having the problems of working with such thick steel, is to laminate it. Instead of buying 12x12 inch piece of steel 2 inches thick let's say, buy 2x3/8 flat bar, cut it to 12" lengths, then stack 32 of them side by side on edge to get the same 12x12 inch x 2 inch thick "plate". Then take a welder and hard surface the top.

A cut-off wheel on a 5 inch grinder, or even a Sawzall can do this, where as some people do not have cutting torches which would be required for a 2 inch thick piece of plate.

You could also do the same thing, but alternate pieces of 2x3/8 flat bar with 2-1/4x3/8 flat bar so that your surface has a 1/4 inch corrugation to it to help bust rock better.

Just some ideas...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know I said pics so I'll give you one. Didn't get near as much done as I wanted since these two required my attention. Both are rescues. The little black faced one was about 6 weeks old when I got her and the litte white faced demon puppy was about 4 weeks old. Both were abandoned on the side of the road about two weeks ago. They are a hand full.

Do me a favor and don't tell anyone I have a soft spot. I'm supposed to be a hardass hardrock miner.

Attachments

• 20200430_104055.jpg
    20200430_104055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a little time to work on this here recently. So dimensions are 18 inches in diameter and 22 inches long. Instead of a flail mill, I am building 4 paddles inside much like a Stutenroth. Intake will be a piece of 6 inch pipe screened down to 4 inch with expanded metal as a restrictor. Output will either be a piece of 4 inch or 3 inch pipe inline with the edge of the mill.

All impact mills are basically crude blowers so the idea is to lay the paddles back at a 5 degree angle to push air to the outside of the mill so the air flow will be pushed up the output pipe which will also push the smaller particles up out of the mill while letting larger particles fall back in.

Also on the output pipe will be a cyclone to seperate the heavies from the lighter stuff. The heavies fall out the bottom while the light stuff goes out the top.

The idea is to have both classified material and separated material that could go for a direct smelt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread