hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a mine next to White Sands Missile range that has been shut down for a long while.
Galena and fluorite was mined there and this crusher was all that remained.
The motor was gone but the drive pulley is a seven belt and the two flywheels are 4' x 5" thick.
The crusher never ran it's last load and is still full of rock. RockCrush.jpg _MG_23121.jpg Webb City2.jpg

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The drill holes for blasting were still in the hill and were never loaded.
It looked like orders came down to cease operations and everyone just left.
I imagine the crusher was left as getting it off the mine would probable as hard
as getting it up there. Even in pieces.
I'll always remember how incredibly gemmy the place was. Quartz, fluorite, galena
everywhere shining.
Lack of water here kept serious mining very hard.
Here's a piece of rock from a neighboring mine with blue linerite I've posted before. Linarite.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
....Excuse me while I roll up my tongue and stick it back in my mouth. DANG that's purdy!!

I've got a friend in the Black Hills who was born and raised on land that his Grandfather patented. He sometimes posts pics of his ore. Just blows everyone's minds. But for him, he has seen it every day of his life, so it's no longer impressive to him....at least, in an aesthetic way. ...Not sure what it is about this piece, but maybe it's how the different colored crystals have such sharply defining lines. It's almost as though the colors should be bleeding into each other. Very, VERY beautiful!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
This rock contains along with the blue linerite is quartz, green fluorite and the black galena.
Glad I didn't work there as I might have kept shutting the crusher down for another purdy rock.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
That would make for a nice recovery mission.

I agree. There are a bunch of very useful parts and it was working at the time the mine shut down according to the neighboring mine.
A lot was salvaged except the crusher and part of a device that reminds me of a mercury condenser but I'm not sure.

_MG_2303.JPG

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Add a straight six engine (at least 100 horsepower) along with a trailer and your good to go.

Now the wife is going to strangle me. I'll have a 258 straight six out of the Jeep after the small block Chevy conversion.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Add a straight six engine (at least 100 horsepower) along with a trailer and your good to go.

Now the wife is going to strangle me. I'll have a 258 straight six out of the Jeep after the small block Chevy conversion.

Your going to drop a small block in your jeep? I know why your wife is on your block.
Power is there and has always been as they paid for it.
But I know what you mean about no one needs to know as no one has been there.

Anyway there is a road of sorts. A bunch of very large boulders blocking the road. No problem. Once past those short comings, then probably some more, that's life.
Interesting. My experience is I've lifted a lot of loads but I don't remember bringing a bunch down a mountain. Curious thought.
What is it about about some people that can't resist solving a problem?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your going to drop a small block in your jeep? I know why your wife is on your block.
Power is there and has always been as they paid for it.
But I know what you mean about no one needs to know as no one has been there.

Anyway there is a road of sorts. A bunch of very large boulders blocking the road. No problem. Once past those short comings, then probably some more, that's life.
Interesting. My experience is I've lifted a lot of loads but I don't remember bringing a bunch down a mountain. Curious thought.
What is it about about some people that can't resist solving a problem?

Yep, 350 small block Chevy. Already set up for batch fire multiport fuel injection. TH400 trans. Dana 300 transfer case. 9 inch ford rear with a full floater conversion and a heavily reworked Dana 44 front. The JK Dana 44 opinion is just as strong as a Dana 60 and will fit in a Chevy Dana 44 with a different set of bearings.

After that, the white 95 GMC in my journal gets a solid Dana 60 front with a 14 bolt rear.

Both of these are my exploration vehicles and will be built to survive. Wait until you see the trailer I drew up.

That crusher wouldn't be the biggest thing I've recovered. Most of that stuff was just straight up scrap though. Nice thing about jaw crushers is that due to the way they were built back then, they are easily rebuilt and put back in service even after sitting for 50+ years.

No need to solve a problem, I just hate seeing solid equipment sitting and slowly rotting away.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
In your research of this mine / property ,is it currently owned or a patented location ? my wife would shoot me dead if I were to bring 1 more piece of equipment home!

supZman

Dec 3, 2014
That's from Webb City and Carterville MO, where I live! There was Huge Lead & Zinc Mines located there during the late 1800's all the way up to 1950. Nice find!

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
In your research of this mine / property ,is it currently owned or a patented location ? my wife would shoot me dead if I were to bring 1 more piece of equipment home!

Not sure. The last operation ended in or around 1979 from my understanding.The mine is old enough to have been patented. The equipment was salvaged and this crusher was left probably due to the size and weight.
Just the way the mine was left raises questions. Like the crusher's hopper was full and the drill holes in the rock were never loaded.
Left in a hurry it seems.
The disassembly would be a chore. Huge nuts badly corroded, 400 pound flywheels etc. But there is value there more than scrap IMO.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
That's from Webb City and Carterville MO, where I live! There was Huge Lead & Zinc Mines located there during the late 1800's all the way up to 1950. Nice find!

Yup, you got it. I researched the machine but while I did locate the place of manufacture I haven't found much on the crusher. Like when the company was in business and other stuff. I was really curious on how much horse power was required as the motor was missing.
There is interesting information on your town and it's mining past on the net..

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure. The last operation ended in or around 1979 from my understanding.The mine is old enough to have been patented. The equipment was salvaged and this crusher was left probably due to the size and weight.
Just the way the mine was left raises questions. Like the crusher's hopper was full and the drill holes in the rock were never loaded.
Left in a hurry it seems.
The disassembly would be a chore. Huge nuts badly corroded, 400 pound flywheels etc. But there is value there more than scrap IMO.

I'm damn near a surgeon with a gas axe. And a little heat from a rosebud usually helps rusted parts separate rather easily. I have a 2000 pound hitch mount crane around here somewhere to.

OP
OP
hvacker

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm damn near a surgeon with a gas axe. And a little heat from a rosebud usually helps rusted parts separate rather easily. I have a 2000 pound hitch mount crane around here somewhere to.

I've swung a torch quite a bit myself. Mostly copper refer pipe.
But this is the hill that crusher has to come off of.

BlancnardView.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Work it to the top, balance it very carefully, then give it a slight push. Simple! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread